Top critical review
2 March 2018
I've had an Omron M10 - IT for some time but decided to upgrade when my surgery started reporting higher BP readings than I was getting on that machine. So here are my initial impressions of the Evolv.
* Compact unit, no tubes.
* Not as solidly built as the M10 - feels much more of a "consumer" item rather than a proper bit of medical kit. Not sure how long the all in one design will last.
* Expensive for what it is. This may be new model syndrome.
* Cuff fits well. Not had a failed reading yet
* More accurate (higher) BP readings (but need to confirm this at my surgery)
* The app is OKish if you can establish a Bluetooth connection with your phone. Check the Omron compatibility list. If your phone is not there, it may not work and you should not buy without consulting Omron. So much for Bluetooth being a universal wireless connection protocol. The app provides graphs,charts and an export function although the latter is a bit buried in the menu system. Generally, the app feels in need of further development.
* Unlike the M10, the Evolv does not link to a PC or Mac.
* The Evolv does not support two users unlike the 8 yr old M10. This has got to be a marketing disaster for Omron. It will put off a lot of couples who both need a BP monitor.
So the Evolv is a bit of a mixed bag. It does the important bit (measuring BP) well. Hopefully Omron can resolve some of the software problems and limitations through upgrades to the app.