Customer reviews

on 20 March 2017
In this 4th instalment of the Deathsworn Arc, our heroes battle through more adversities, rescuing people along the way. There are some fantastic gruesome scenes in this featuring torture devices, hanging, burning etc, something i'm coming to expect from this author and which he achieves very well without being overdone. I loved the character of Vexis, who I felt simultaneously sorry for and horrified by. One of my favourite characters, who I won't name, seems to be being axed, but I hope this isn't the last I hear from them as i'm incredibly attached by this point - the ending in particular left me very sad.

I can't wait for the next book, will be buying it as soon as it's released.
on 14 April 2017
Really good read, the whole series makes me want to keep reading. Can't wait for the next book in the series
on 23 March 2017
I was lucky enough to be given book 4 of this series for an honest review...here it is.

I've said this before, however, the two best things about this series are the characters and the Truthseeker's revelations. Each character is distinct and develops well within the plot, whilst the relationships between them grow. The philosophical debate is particularly interesting, and I respect the author for not being afraid to question belief systems.

These 'best things' then make for a compelling read because they are engaging on many levels...read the series to find out why.

Very well written, fast-paced and descriptive, so to give an excellent sense of place and authenticity.

Highly recommended.
on 28 May 2016
This very enjoyable book which starts with the rescue of Lindie (left hanging at the end of book 3) who has been captured for having an illicit relationship with Kaya. The verkreath rear their ugly heads again as our faithful friends try to escape the city. Nothing goes to plan (as ever!) which is what make this so enjoyable. Characters abound at every turn with different traits to try and thwart our happy band of miscreants. A new main character appears whom I love and there is a twist at the end (no spoilers!).
I enjoyed this more than the other books as the characters were even richer and ever more colourful, that said you need to have read the others to know who is who and what is going on!
I love the authors’ sideways look at modern life in so many different ways, slipping in ethics, pathos, and his own view on life. A very enjoyable read.
I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an open and honest review
on 1 February 2017
Having read the first three books in this fabulous series I recently bought and read the 4th book... ‘The Rise of the Archmage’ To appreciate these books I would definitely recommend potential readers to begin with the first book and carry on through them all in order to get the fullest enjoyment of the series.

My fascination has grown with each book. There have been various changes since the original small group of warriors came together to kill a dragon for the Empress Jade and they grew in number, consisting of very different breeds and cultures.

The wariness and mistrust seen in the earlier books has gradually disappeared as the brave band move through countless trials, battles and gradually meld together in their mutual but very different characters.

Book 4 is definitely both different and is my favourite. It deals with mature themes and is dark but so absorbing. There is much more focus on ‘The Truth’ which has been revealed by Brael the dark elf. This has caused much antagonism from the Isharian Church in particular and great disbelief. Even the band of warriors is doubtful as to whether what he has revealed is correct.

I don’t like spoilers but am finding it difficult not to reveal some of the plot

Do read the books and find out what the gravian elf Brael has shocked everyone in the books by revealing what is extremely unpalatable to them in its nature. Each character in this book reveals more of whom and what they are as individuals as the brave band face many dangers in the continuation of their quest. They grow closer together more and more and truly care for each other in bonds of trust and deep friendship which overcome their differences. They are obviously prepared to risk their own lives for each other now. Among the many twists and turns, as the plot moves along, their enemies are always close behind them in their frantic efforts to try to overcome and kill them in order to silence Brael’s truth.

They are journeying to the home of Votrex the dwarf but have many adventures along the way. Another vitally important character - another gravian, this time an amazing female named Vexix now joins them. She is a fascinating character with a past she does not wish anyone to know about. She knows Brael however and could be the means of helping him (Read to find out how)

Another new character who has become part of the band is Eldon who has a truly magical ability which is an incredible help to them all as they come up against so many obstacles and dangers.

There are sub plots along the way too. For example the band comes across two young girls who both need rescuing from certain execution. Contentious issues are involved.

I feel I know Saul the wizard much better in this book. Vashni has grown and grown in diversity and has produced many surprises among them. Brael too has some amazing things to bring to the quest. Vexis is a character to watch for in the next book.

Book 4 is brilliant. It is so complex in all the many different threads running through the adventures the group with its different personalities become involved with. What an interesting and creative author Martyn is to produce this wonderful and magical world. He brings many moral issues that are in our own world into his which makes for so much interesting reading. I often stopped to ponder on all sorts of issues he introduces within the group.

Harbinger – a sword with some amazing magical content. Find out what happens when it is used.

Votrex – wait and see what happens to him near the end!

Each time I stopped reading, when I began again to read, the story is so dense in its complexity, I always had to go back a chapter or two to get into the middle of it all once more. This book is full of thrills and I didn’t want it to end. But end it did with a few highly dramatic cliff-hangers, one of which in particular, left me with my heart in my mouth. It is clear after a breathtaking sword fight near the end that what follows, means that there will be a further book to eventually carry on this series. Good news indeed and I look forward to this.

Fantasy lovers, please don’t miss these wonderful books. They are among the best I have ever read in this genre.
on 6 May 2016
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
"Rise of the Archmage" is the 4th book in the "Deathsworn Arc" series and sees the tale of Korhan and company take a darker turn.
There are some delicate situations that are handled very well, plenty of action, and some surprising occurrences - one in particular caused me to hold my breath (and that doesn't often happen to me - I'm usually more of a sound effect person when I read, peppering the narrative with my own gasps, oohs, ahs, and uh-ohs!).
If you've read the first 3 books in the series, you won't be disappointed with this one... and there's some great news too - Book 4 is NOT the end!!