Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 13 January 2017
I am always disappointed with someone who loves me - how perfect can he be if he can't see through me?

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, this was already on my radar. However with the recent and tragic passing of Carrie Fisher, I instantly elevated it to my first read of 2017 - and what a read it was.

A warning here - often Fisher's thoughts are disordered and chaotic; she was a rambler. If you don't think you'd like that then perhaps this isn't the book for you. However this is also painfully heartfelt in a way which makes you breathe that little bit harder and labour over each page - especially the diary entries themselves. Fisher's insecurity and self consciousness radiates through in the forms of disjointed sentences and poetry. She is candid about her teenage years and the beginnings of her foray into the world of Star Wars and celebrity.

She also goes into some detail about her affair with Harrison Ford during the filming of episode four. This too is bittersweet - with Fisher clearly developing feelings which Ford doesn't return. There's nothing explicit or titillating about her account. Instead she reveals the emotional affair she felt she had (and the lack of one which Ford seemed to experience).

Carrie Fisher seemed like a witty, expressive, creative woman. For all her struggles she writes with a brutal and compelling honesty which captured me as a reader from the first page. Her loss is one the world is bereft by. This, her last work, is an absolute must read.
on 28 December 2016
Heartbreaking really. Framed by her brilliant wit is a story of a young girl's emotional devastation. I found it deeply moving, very funny in parts, but most of all, a book about what it is to make mistakes, be human, be hurt.
33 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2017
What can I say we will all miss her dreadfully! Book is a real must for any Star Wars fan as it does give an insight to her feelings and her affair with Harrison Ford. Beautifully written from her heart with humour!
on 16 January 2017
I've always loved Carrie, especially the way that she thinks it's real and relatable, her books, stage shows, interviews etc have always been true and funny...this book is no different although it doesn't focus primarily on SW so you have been warned but this is a beautiful account of her life in stages and towards the end I had to hold back the tears knowing this would be the last of her work...ever. RIP
on 1 January 2017
A very interesting book wrote with candour by the woman who lived the rush of Star Wars. Carrie Fisher is funny and endearing as she tells us about this now icon film. Made all the more sad by her recent passing in December 2016.
on 30 November 2016
This book was not what I expected. When I read the synopsis I expected to read excerpt of Carrie Fisher's diary regarding the behind the scenes happenings of one of my favourite films. In actuality the greater majority of the book is devoted to Carrie Fisher's providing an analysis of events prior to the film, events during filming briefly and the last 40 years since episode IV was released . With only a small amount of pages devoted to pages from the diaries While this was interesting it was not what I was expecting. I would still recommend giving it a read though as the writing was honest. It made me smile, cringe and what I like mot is that it made me think. A book well deserving of 4 stars.
on 19 December 2016
Great book. Heartwarming and funny. Definitely would recommend.
on 7 January 2017
Not the diaries of a young Carrie Fisher which is what I'd expected. Just a few poetic thoughts of the then 19 year old, midway through several chapters of Carrie reflecting back on her affair with Harrison Ford in 1977. Her voice was not pleasant to listen to (in the audio book format) as her nasal passages are severely blocked, and we all know why! Perhaps her daughter could have narrated the whole thing instead?
Much attention is given to the experience of being a celebrity along with enduring the obsessive rants (verbatim) of fanatics at signings, which was, frankly, rather boring to listen to. She contradicts herself on a few things, for example, the fact that her affair with Harrison was mutually casual with no expectations, which she claims suited her, yet she also talks of being infatuated with him as she indulged in fantasies of marriage and long term commitment. I am intrigued by that fact that she tries desperately to detach her own persona from that of Princess Leia's; yet she often refers to Leia in the first person!
I'm a big fan of Star Wars and have always enjoyed Carrie's TV interviews but this did not cut the mustard for me. I got through it all, after falling asleep on a few occasions, so it was OK, or I would have given up. However, I wouldn't pass this on to anyone I know as an inspirational or insightful read which says it all really.
That being said, I was sad to hear of her death; so young really- RIP Carrie.
on 29 December 2016
Amazing, this wonderful woman came out on top despite her background. In detail her thoughts on every situation and immense lack of self confidence still showed a lot of front confidence and wit. I read this one right through without a break as it gripped me on every sentence. I hope to read more of her books soon. R. I. P. Carrie Fisher the world will always love you.
on 15 January 2017
The Princess Diarist is the latest, and sadly last, of Carrie Fisher's autobiographies. Upon finding a box of diaries written during the filming of Star Wars: A New Hope in her house, Carrie decides to share them with the world. We are treated to excerpts from these, including some brutal entries about loneliness and self-doubt, alongside love/hate poetry for her co-star Harrison Ford, whom she was having an affair with.

Carrie's writing is refreshingly frank, as ever, and she remains one of the most important advocates for mental health. A must-read for Star Wars fans, for those who want to understand bipolar better, and for anyone who has ever been in love.