on 3 July 2016
I needed a semi-pro 4K video camcorder and chose this based on the fact that it received the highest recommendations across a number of review sites. It is truly excellent and I'm very happy with it as a choice.

The picture quality is superb, resolution needle sharp and the controls are well laid out and easy to use. If you pan too quickly, it tells you and the viewfinder screen is large and easily adjusted.

In short, I agree that this is the best quality camcorder in the price range and give it my highest possible recommendation. My only advice is, get another battery, with as long a life as you can manage and also get the fastest SD card to store your footage on. If you're new to this, there is a massive difference between the cards that fit this camcorder and you need to get a SDXC card to make the most of the 4K film ability. I've bought a 64GB SDXC card which will be perfect for lots of footage in a remote area but it did cost around £180 for the card.

Get a decent camcorder bag to protect it too - I bought the Lowepro SH110 II Adventura Bag but had to return it because it was a bit too small (the camcorder comes with a front hood and it wouldn't fit in the bag with the hood on (without distorting the rubber eyepiece at the rear) and there was little additional room for the spare battery and cables. So I would go for a slightly larger bag.
52 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 15 December 2016
Great camcorder. Really nice quality of the video. Does not oversaturate as Sony products do.

BUT, It's delicate. Really delicate. Can't toss it around as I did with my previous model - Panasonic SD90 which is a dust-proof, water-proof, death-proof TANK.

The 980 feels plasticky in hand, and if you squeeze it harder, your in-camera microphone will pick up the cracks! Need external mic definitely.

Other than that the video quality is top notch. Believe it or not, the Image Stabiliser is TOO GOOD for tripod use! make sure you turn that off.
18 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 10 April 2017
Brilliant size to travel about with. Lightweight and compact - feels pretty robust and well protected lens and screen. Wonderful HD and 4K filming - the photographs are pretty good too if you really want to use it for photos that is. Menu is very simple to use - instructions are easy to understand - overall a very good camera for the price and size - just as good as my more expensive professional film making cameras.
16 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
No complaints so far- 4k is good stuff, bit heavy on the video editing programme (and I'd prefer not to have to transcode before use but that is down to me wanting to use FC Pro 7 so not really a camera problem) but crystal clear. The camera has got axis balance adjustment (I had to return a Sony FDR-AX53 because it was way too "floaty") which is not excessive and certainly doesn't look uncontrolled.

It is really very small (I like my cameras heavier and larger) but it has all the necessary ports and options. Small niggle? The port covers, though nicer than most I have encountered in that they slide not pull open, slide open too easily.

OK- so I am a bit annoyed by the automation and the inability to permanently create preferred user settings for the dial at the front, but I will live. At the end of the day it is a consumer camera, not a professional and the trend is to automating so much these days across all of these cameras.

I tested the mic and can say that it is not half bad. I did the test under quite extreme conditions (close quarters at a live blues gig with a sound engineer who likes to really crank it up) and it performed reasonably well for the acoustic set, not so good when the gig turned electric. It will clip but the compensation is actually way better than my Panasonic HVX200 inbuilt. More then adequate for using in non-concert situations (and, for me, as reference sound like never before) and will be used with an external sound recorder such as a ZOOM in future. Again- ports-a-plenty.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2017
Fabulous, takes time to find all the possibilities
on 20 May 2018
Excellent picture quality - easy to set-up! Microphone could be better - doesn't really pick up that well but this is easily resolved with the use of an external microphone (purchased for <£30). Suitable for expert or beginner - some good features to use.
on 14 April 2017
Very good and quite easy to use, with a good lens.
on 5 August 2018
the quality is awesome for a camera of this value. haven't tried the wireless multi camera yet. but love this, many thanks
on 31 May 2018
Excellent camcorder. I’m very pleased with its performance.
on 13 March 2017