on 3 January 2016
My review is for the Legacy edition only and only with concern for the quality of the recording as the content is legend.
Like just about every other historic album, there are many different CD releases on the market of the same thing, well not quite.
Older digital recordings are often flawed by a rush to market philosophy, combined with early digital recording technology. Later so called remasters using state of the art equipment, are more often than not much worse due to over compression and equalisation. It has been a marketing con of record companies and corporations to promote these louder dynamically squashed rehashes as remasters. I have been caught all too many times by what should have been a better quality sound recording, to find it was in fact much worse.
Back to Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition). Recorded back in 1959 on 3 - track tape and remastered for this edition by Mark Wilder, who was clearly on a mission to produce not only the best quality of sound but also an authenticity of the sound at that time, the result is stunningly good. It is hard to believe it possible that a recording made on 3- track magnetic tape 56 years ago could sound so alive, alive in a kind of magical way that almost takes you back to that time and place. There are so many works of great musical art now available to us all, sadly there are so few that do justice to the original recording of that art, it is I believe criminal, but a crime to which this recording is not guilty.
8 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2013
I started off as a Rock/Blues man and never really got into the whole jazz thing. A few years ago "Kind Of Blue" was reccommended by a friend and well....My musical life has never been the same since. I now own almost everything by Miles Davis and he is my ultimate musician of all time which is rather strange for a rocker.......haha. I appreciate that there are other jazz musicians who are greater masters of their instrument but they lack the emotion that Miles Davis offers. He is the only artist to touch my soul...In a almost haunting way. Davis was such a great composer , talent scout and creative force. Kind of blue , due to its commercial success is sometimes given a wide berth by jazz purists who insist there is better stuff out there.....Well I have yet to find it. I have bought stuff by Coltrane , Parker , Shorter & co and while they are talented guys they lack the ability to move me in the way that only Miles can. I like jazz but I LOVE Miles Davis. This is essential listening for all music fans.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 January 2011
Everyone will tell you if you only ever buy one jazz album in your life, it should be "Kind of Blue." There is a reason why this seminal collection of musical improvisations from 1959 still sounds fresh through the decades whilst most popular music from the 1960s, 70s and 80s has become dated and forgotten. When you hear KOB you'll probably recognise most of it because these numbers have been played endlessly in a thousand places all over the world for 50 years and in countless movie soundtracks, and they never age.

The musicians Miles assembled around him for these sessions were all at the top of their game: Bill Evans and Wynton Kelly on piano, "Cannonball" Adderley and John Coltrane on saxes, Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Davis used simple modal scales to define to the musicians the limits within which they could improvise, instead of more standard harmonic structure with chord progressions. This gives the album a loose, relaxed and super-cool feel, yet the music is complex enough to hold the listener's interest even after hearing it hundreds of times. It's one of those rare triumphs of musical genius where everything came together to produce something sublime and special. Listen and you will immediately "get it."

So, yet another five-star review for "Kind of Blue." If you don't have it, then buy it. It's the essence of cool. It's great. It's timeless. It won't sit in your CD rack: it will be played, often and forever.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2018
Really weird but I was taking my cat to the vet and Desert Island Discs came on. My cat continued to cry until a track from this cd came on, whereby he settled down. Unfortunately when the record finished he started crying again. I bought the cd and things are much better.
on 6 November 2017
Summary:
This record is one of the most influential jazz albums that exists. Albums such as Time Out by Dave Brubeck or The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus, this conveys some of the best jazz songs to date. The track 'So What' is iconic and instantly recognisable.

The Product:
The record is a dark blue colour which is shown through a C shape cutout on the front and it sounds flawless, not much else to say.
on 21 November 2011
Another rave review from someone who doesn't listen to much jazz....despite that, in the 3 or 4 years I've owned this album it's given me more enjoyment, solace and interest than any other piece of music. How nice to hear soloists who don't cram in as many notes as possible to show how clever they are, but just what's needed. How pleasant to hear all the players supporting and encouraging each other in the common cause of making a perfect take. What a smooth, supple, relaxed rhythmn section as a backcloth to those exquisite solos. And isn't "So what?" the epitome of cool, even down to the title?

The most amazing thing for me is that, according to Bill Evans' liner notes, the whole album was recorded with the minimum of rehearsal, and at the first take. I read somewhere that Miles Davis at one time planned to record with Jimi Hendrix. Poor Jimi. Although he was outstanding in his own genre, he'd have been outclassed in this company.
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2013
If you like jazz trumpet, you will already be familiar with the work of Miles Davis. Along with Chet Baker, and some others, he was the standard that all the rest were measured by. This album sees Miles in a contemplative mood, with soulful tunes as a result. I do not feel the need to 'over review' this classic collection. If you like him, you will almost certainly already have it. If you don't like him, you probably will not be swayed by a review anyway.
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 12 November 2014
A very good price for this hybrid SACD version. However, it is disappointing because it is not the implied USA release, which has the alternate take of "Flaminco Sketches" as a bonus track. Nevertheless. the sound quality of this Japan-made product is superb on both stereo and 3 channel playback. NB it is far better sonically than all the CD versions issued up to 2014.
One person found this helpful
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 30 May 2014
I have over the years developed very broad tastes in music. Having stsrted in my youth as a punk/indie fan, nowadays I find myself listening mainly to jazz and classical.
I bought this CD maybe 14-15 years ago. I probably listen to it at least once a week. There is something utterly magical about it. It always manages to sound fresh and spontaneous! All of the musicians hit a high point of their careers and all are endlessly inventive in a tuneful, haunting way.
I would want this played at my funeral. Among the world's great works of art and cheaply available to all. I have often given this as a gift. Buy it.
One person found this helpful
on 12 March 2015
Probably my favourite Miles album. Everyone including Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans and the great John Coltrane are on white heat form. All the tracks and alternative takes are here plus a second CD featuring six tracks including On Green Dolphin Street and also included is an excellent DVD - the making of the Kind of Blue album. Brilliant.