Top positive review
Does what it needs to - but there are a couple of issues
24 August 2015
The purchase of this product was motivated by my requirement of not only filing away the existing SD cards I have, but also to have some way I could tidily make a note of what is on each of my cards, as SD cards are so small that they're pretty impossible to write on.
First - for the plus sides of this device :
1) The foam inserts provided are brilliant and cut perfectly to size - and what I like even more is that they've thought about the product and you can take the insert out along with its sticky backing so that you can put them in again afterwards - I like that a lot.
2) It comes with a sticky label that you can make notes on although you only get 2 of these (one for each side) - it would of been nice if you got a couple more for spare.
3) If you scan one of the labels in that comes with the device that has the 2D barcode on it, you'll get an invite to become a VIP tester of any new products CamKix develop which is absolutely brilliant
4) It's made of metal so if you were to put it in a pocket/rucksack etc you know it's sturdy enough to protect the storage cards inside.
Unfortunately there are a couple of cons :
1) The catches to keep the device closed don't engage fully on the one I have, so sometimes one side opens of its own accord - not an issue for me as I keep mine in a drawer, but if you were to go out and about with it this could become an issue
2) The little metal "tags" that are present to help open the device poke out quite a lot - so that if you keep this device in a drawer/rucksack/briefcase it won't be a problem - but if you keep this device in your pocket and take it out in a hurry you could end up ripping your pocket. What would of been better is to make a square clam shell type design, where the catches to open each side could be incorporated in a wider "fin" that would come out of the device in the middle to reach each other ... kind of like what you would get on a hearing aid case. This is also why I think the idea of allowing customers to become VIP testers is great - it'd be nice to be able to feed this back in at the design phase of this device !
All in all it does exactly what I need it to do, but I wouldn't carry it in my pocket.