Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

1,135
Denomination: 30|Design Name: Top-Up Amazon.uk|Change
Price:£30.00

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2016
Last year, my ex-employer gifted me the world's most awkward prepaid MasterCard, which many high street retailers couldn't get to work, and which had its 12-month expiration date brought forward, despite that being a clear breach of the T&Cs. As far as presents go, not exactly a winner. In a desperate attempt to use up the remaining funds on the card before it ran out early, I tried to purchase an Amazon Gift Card in a box, because those are valid for 10 years and given how frequently I shop on Amazon and how much my friends and family also use the site, practically as good as cash to me.

The transaction failed because Amazon levy a £1 refundable test charge on purchases to "verify" cards, and with my payment card being a prepaid card for a fixed amount which wasn't reloadable, I thought I was stuck. I had a chat with Customer Services who just couldn't find a way to help me. Then I stumbled across Top Up and inspiration struck: because this is an instant digital purchase, there's no messing around with test transactions before a physical Gift Card gets mailed out, the credit instead gets instantly added to your account. Finally I was able to convert the useless prepaid MasterCard into Amazon credit, something that I can always use and enjoy.

If you are are trying to use up a balance on a non-reloadable card, this is the perfect solution as you can buy any amount you like of Top Up; it doesn't have to be a neat multiple of £5. With Amazon making so many different Gift Card solutions available (greetings cards, bookmarks, cards in boxes, print at home options and email options), I don't know why you wouldn't just buy credit from Amazon in the first place, it's an ideal present. However if you find yourself in similar circumstances to me, it's Amazon to the rescue. This is the best way of ensuring you don't waste any residual funds on a prepaid card.

It can take five minutes from placing your order to the funds being added to your Gift Card balance, however it took all of one minute for Amazon to process this for me. Quick, easy and recommended.
22 Comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2016
This is pretty much a gift certificate for your account.

Though I don't see it that way, this to me sounds like a brilliant idea for a "that item i want to get but don't want to fork over a truck load of money for".

Here's an example:

I want to buy itemX, it costs £500. I don't feel like spending that much money on it right now.
I set up an automatic top up every few weeks to put away £20-30.

Once my balance saves up, I can then purchase the item without taking such a large hit on your bank account.
At the end of the day, it's the same money spent but it's a good way to save up money over time.
11 Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2016
I received a gift card and bought a book, having some money left over I decided to top up and HAVNT stopped since, although my bank card is linked to my account, I find it so much easier to top up now and then as I'm Always buying Kindle and paperback books, plus lots of other things. So much easier for me when checking
My bank statements, it's all under Amazon rather than individually. I think it's fabulous and for buying gifts.
on 12 February 2016
How can anyone go wrong with a Amazon Gift Card! I am topping this up every payday for Christmas Money.
0Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2016
Convenient way to use without having lots of transactions coming out of your account
on 31 October 2016
I limit myself to £50 per month to spend on Amazon.
With this handy top up feature, I make only ONE transaction of £50 from my bank account every month.
- it looks simple, neat and tidy on my bank statements.
- it's much easier to keep my spending in control
- I never go over my limit now, ever. Thanks to this :-).
on 8 November 2016
A brilliant way to save for christmas
Every week i top my account up with a amount,By the time christmas comes i have a nice amount saved to purchase all my christmas gifts.
Top up is applied to your account immediately and is very handy
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2016
I love this .I buy a lot of kindle e books and it makes my bank statements a lot tidier to have one large amount rather than many many small ones and I know what i've spent. All the little bits i forgot to write down were giving me a terrible shock every month .It's really easy to check your account balance on the app.
on 2 December 2015
It's a money transaction - it worked, what else can I say....? No one died....
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2016
Had a virtual credit card, but was spending more than the value of the card, so put it onto my Amazon account. This was then used first by the Amazon system and I topped up from my regular credit card. Easy Peasy!