Customer reviews

on 29 July 2018
Just read this great little novel this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kevin creates such wonderful characters, you feel like you know them, and his descriptive text makes everything appear vividly in your mind.
Loved it!
on 29 March 2018
I loved the depth of this book. I think it shows Kevin’s skill with literature that he was able to accomplish absolutely vivid characters, locations, and feelings in this story. It is shorter, but it doesn’t feel like it. I belong in that group of readers who actually don’t like to reread books for the most part. But this is one of the rare books that I look forward to reading again. Fantastically brilliant!
on 17 March 2018
A lovely story. Beautifully written all the way through.

I just felt uncomfortable with the villain being a Muslim... I'm not sure how that can be understood by most readers and I fear for what kind of reactions it can ignite in their hearts.

Anyway, it's a great story.
Well done.
on 25 February 2018
A miraculous story of enduring love. Well worth reading.
on 23 November 2017
I found Kevin's second book difficult to classify with reference to genre but this didn't seem important for me. As much as I enjoyed his first book with its many fascinating details about Thailand running through his plot and characters... this book is quite different. It is short but packs so much into the story. I found it so clever in the way that Kevin provides such a powerful impact in how he contrasts the lives of the two main characters who are poles apart in their thinking and life styles.

Joe is a male white young man and British, whereas Imram, also young and male, is a Muslim who was born in this country. I don't want to reveal any more without spoilers happening. Enough to say that though their lives are wholly separate at the start of the book, he changes who is narrating the story and either Joe or Imran tell us who they are throughout the developing plot which has a series of apparent coincidences which draw the two men closer to each other as the story progresses. I felt this was dealt with in such a smooth and clever way. This book affected me on a deep personal level, right from the beginning in that it hit straight through into my own private perceptions, in both their stories of what life was like for them in their individual environments.

Kevin adds an unexpected paranormal side to the life of one of the men which is again unexpected, original and enjoyable to read, for it does lighten the content. It's contrast with the reality of the rest of the plot worked for me. All in all I felt this was an unusual novel and although short, it gave me an author's own intimate portrait of two immensely different life styles that are quite probable in our modern society of mixed cultures and he gives us some insights as to what might well be some of the reasons that cause young people to decide to venture down different paths when they become adults. Both characters grow but in different ways. This book caused me to ponder a lot. I wonder if Kevin will write more about either one, or both of his characters in the future. I loved it and recommend it highly.
on 24 October 2017
Kevin Ansbro is an artist of the written word
A beautifully written short story. It captured my attention from the very first line and held on until the last. Five stars is not enough!
Be sure to read the poignant dedications at the end.
on 16 October 2017
Because I’d seen Kevin Ansbro’s The Angel in my Well described as “heartbreakingly sad,” I was a little concerned as I began reading it. Through the judicious use of one character in particular, Ansbro begins ramping up the tension early on, and as the story progresses, it reaches a nearly unbearable level. I had to put the book aside for a couple of days to finish a project I’d started, but my thoughts kept returning to it. I feared Ansbro had a gut-wrenching turn of the plot in store, which distressed me, as I’d grown close to some of the characters. Well, without spoiling anything, I can say that, in true Kevin Ansbro style, the book definitely has some shocks waiting for the reader. I can also say that I loved the ending. Ansbro’s compassion for his characters enabled him to deliver an intense, yet deeply satisfying conclusion. It couldn’t have been better. But please don’t stop reading when you get to the end. Be sure to read the author’s Acknowledgments section that follows. Sweet and heartfelt, it moved me to tears. Thank heavens for the gentle humor of the “Irish Prayer” that closes the book!
on 8 October 2017
I wasn't sure what to expect of this story (other than the unexpected - if Kevin's book Kinnara, which I've also read, was anything to go by!) but was quickly engrossedin each of the two storylines.
Kevin has an eye for detail, and his descriptions and character building draw you in as he weaves the two very different threads until, just before the culmination, the warp and weft combine to reveal the explosive conclusion.
The protagonist, Joe, is an engaging character, a very likeable young man, as were his friends and relations, including his recently deceased Irish grandmother, the lovely Kathleen. But then it's not hard to like characters who are basically nice and decent. The harder task is to create not-so-nice characters which are equally as complex and interesting but that is exactly what Kevin has done with Imran, the son of a Pakistani Muslim immigrant who is struggling with his position in society in the UK in the 21st century.
Kevin writes beautifully about loss and love with regular injections of wit and humour for good measure. I highly recommend reading The Angel in My Well, and my only criticism is that it ended too soon!
on 13 September 2017
Kevin Ansbro has cleverly crafted a tale of fantasy that is imaginative, entertaining and thought provoking. I loved the way in which he brought back the character of Kathleen and the ingenious way the story line was interlinked. I laughed and shed a tear and thoroughly enjoyed the read. I have read all of Kevin's work to date and can't wait to read more from this truly talented author.
on 25 July 2017
Another fantastic book by Kevin Ansbro.
Brilliant book and thoroughly enjoy reading it.
One person found this helpful