Customer reviews

on 17 May 2017
Mark and John have created world's that engage me fully. Once you start any series written by them you will be hooked. They have taken the post apocalyptic world and given characters that we want to know what next about! I am on my third reading in the hope that book 3 will be out soon. Mark's next book is on pre order and the same will apply to John when his next book becomes available for order.
on 5 July 2017
Love this author, yet another great piece of work by Tufo. Lots of twists to keep you reading and a very enjoyable mix of stories.
I must now find all of John Obrians work, as this has been a great introduction of another writer also.
on 14 August 2014
Where do I start .....brilliant , amazing book two writers at the top of their game bouncing of each other you can tell by reading the book that they had a great time writing together ! the characters all three of them had me crying with laughter at times and holding my breath at others . A must buy for zombie fans cant wait for the next one !
on 5 June 2017
You've got to read this book. I flew through it, action packed and funny with it.
There's new scary creatures that will make your toes curl.
on 24 August 2014
This is a first time collaboration between Mark Tufo and John O'Brien, two authors that are know for their own zompoc series of books, Zombie Fallout for Mark and A New World for John and it's here in Whistlers that their two worlds collide.

We start off meeting Michael Talbot and John the Tripper waking up after Mike crashed John's 1970's VW camper van whilst escaping a group of zombies, to find themselves in a familiar but slightly different world from what they're used to, and no sooner do they awake when they have their first encounter with the night runners. Then we meet Jack Walker, also a stranger to this new world and in a similar fashion to Mike and John he has his first encounter with a group of zombies very soon after his arrival.

The story then follows our hero's individual journeys until the inevitable meeting of the two groups occurs where Mike and Jack discover how similar yet completely different the worlds they come from truly are, and then the fun really begins. Once Mike and Jack start to trust each other the banter starts to flow, some of it is hilarious to read especially when they are discussing the antics of John. We're introduced to the Whistlers of the title towards the end of the book and if you thought zombies and night runners were bad, these guys are serious trouble.

If you haven't already done so I would recommend reading both Mark and John's books before hand to get some background on the characters and their individual stories, however this is a stand alone series so more maybe relieved as the books progress. All in all this is a very enjoyable book which I highly recommend you add to your collection.
on 23 December 2014
This is a first time collaboration between Mark Tufo and John O'Brien, two authors that are known for their own zompoc series of books, Zombie Fallout for MT and A New World for JO’B and it's here in Whistlers that their two main characters both crash land into this strange new world where the worst of their two worlds collide.

Michael Talbot, Trip ( aka John the Tripper) and Jack Walker.

As I have only read the ZF books (it’s my hubby that loves Jack Walker) I can say that both writers put their character across easily and leave no guess work.

If you haven't already done so I would recommend reading both MT and JO’Bs books before hand to get some background on the characters and their individual stories, however this IS intended to be a standalone series so more maybe revealed as the books progress.

Trip is still my favourite character in almost every book I read barring a few, fantasy novels; and I think he would fit right in there too. He seems to have been given more visionary skills, whereas Mike and Jack have retained their new enhancements from their old worlds.

Although I think that some sort of explanation as to why the two have super powers might have helped the newbie reader.

Both authors have certainly honed their writing skills now and are able to produce a story line that gels, excels, excites and is basically worth every penny spent. They mash up together very well.

I was curious (and worried) as to how two such strong characters (and authors) would be able to blend but it’s like peas in a pod/flip sides of a coin (yes, yes I know they aren’t the same!! See, what I did there though!)

Fabulous way to introduce the three lunatics to the rest of the world.

They have distinctive “voices” and styles that worked really well with the alternating chapters and PoV, I loved the way a “thing” would happen to one character and then you would get a different view of the same “thing” from the other.

Left on a knife edge I cannot wait until the next book is released in what, I hope, will be a long series.

Negatives; there is a lot of dialogue in here BUT that does allow the characters to merge and the new readers to get to know them, however, it could get tedious for current fans.

If you don’t like a certain authors style then their character may get on your nerves a bit, personally I don’t like all the over egged military stuff so tend not to read about every little nuance regarding guns, bullets and kick backs, again got tedious for me.
on 22 August 2014
Well what can I say? When I first heard there would be a crossover novel, I was a bit worried; these things rarely work well. This one has proven me wrong. It brings the strong elements, characters and story, from both authors and combines them into something fantastic. There is the right level of humour, and confusion (especially since these characters have been thrust into something unfamiliar). Rock on!

I look forward to others from these two; this is the start of a beautiful (and bloody) story.
on 21 August 2015
I honestly did not know what to expect when I saw this series was done by two of the top Undead authors in the genre. First could it work two great writers coming together in a brand new crossover world with their favourite heroes and Zombie types, into no holds barred free for all.

So far answer is a big yes, they started with the building, character placement and them getting used to a new horrific environment without the usual teams etc they where used to.

Loved it, I hope to see more Characters, a start of an explanation how it all happened in the 2nd book what I have just started.

Looking for something different this book definitely is different in a good way. Well worth a read, you won't be disappointed. I found it hard to put down.
on 21 August 2014
If you love "Zombie Fallout" and "A New World" then this book is your wet dream come true. It can get only better if authors team up with D.J Molles and throw in Captain Lee Harden in next part.
on 18 August 2014
Love this book, it brings together 3 of the best characters ever, now we haveto wait and see if theres a follow up ( please ,please ,please) . If you like the authors other books you will love this .