Customer reviews

Unhinged [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

Poor nasty but have to have for my collection recent remake looks good
on 4 October 2017
a good movie with a twist in the end.
on 7 March 2017
Terrible movie. How it was banned is beyond me
on 9 September 2007
The basic story..3 girls are on the way to a festival but their car crashes in a raging storm. They awaken in the home of a woman and her wheelchair bound elderly mother, but it's not long before someone is stalking the mansion and the bodies pile up..
This one is often badly criticized due to the bad acting and lack of blood and gore. I know the bad acting of the girls can't be defended, but despite that I consider this a mostly enjoyable slasher with some nice creepy atmosphere. I liked the constant rainstorm and the claustrophobic feel and sense of dread is very effective. Of course this is mostly notorious for being a video nasty and how that ever came about will always remain mystery. The body count here is low and the killings not too gory but the tension builds nicely throughout and the twist ending is good. It's not among the best 80's slashers but "Unhinged" is still a must own for all 80's slasher fans.
on 25 August 2008
I would recommend any fan of 1980's horror to buy this now. Okay so the acting is not wonderful nut what do you expect from a horror movie, actually Janet Penner who plays Marion is quite good and Virginia Settle who plays her demented mother is a laugh, anyway no matter about the acting the atmosphere is really creepy in this movie for that alone I rate it 110 out of 10. There are a few boring bits but this film's strenghth is mystery and the creepy atmosphere. Buy it and enjoy!
on 24 November 2005
I must say I'm pretty confused as to why so many critics have slated this film in almost every review I've managed to feast my eyes upon - why? When I first viewed this little gem twenty-odd years ago before the dreaded Daily Mail had its wicked way with such classics, I was pleasantly impressed and even today the film hasn't lost any of its gusto. Of course the acting is second rate and mundane in places, of course the camera work is shoddy, of course the direction is somewhat inept and the script is tacky. But it was made on a tight budget for crying out loud. In fact, I'll gladly offer a billion quid to anyone who can name me just one perfectly directed slasher film. Nevertheless, there are more upsides than downsides to this movie: the violence can be quite shocking in places (especially the machette killing) which happens off screen but is still relentless and brutal. The synth music is eerily brilliant and the overall brooding atmosphere makes you think twice about visiting the toilet for a while. The shocking climax is also totally unexpected and will probably have most viewers leaving dents in the arms of their chairs...check it out - it's a really good horror film.
44 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2015
3 young woman go on a road trip but there car comes off the road and they wake up in the house of a strange mother & daughter unaware their lives may be in danger.

A very strange horror choice from the early 80's,unlike many from the time this is by no means a body count movie. The movie does have a very eerie atmosphere throughout that helps to hold your interest, the killings are a rarity, but surprisingly violent and fairly bloody, and for a low budget looks very decent. However there are a few downsides, the acting is awful, our three young women who we are supposed to care about are so flat they may as well have been acting laying down, although the character Marion is by far the best and actually comes over very well. The film becomes so bogged down with dialogue is does become a bit boring and you may find your mind start to wonder as some of the chats seem to go on & on & on & on making the 77mins runtime seem like 177mins. The climax of the film is a real hoot though and something of a surprise.

Shockingly this was put onto the video nasties list (even more surprisingly in was on it for 2 years), a film that for many will be too talky and dare I say it dull, but others may enjoy the creepy atmosphere, brutal killings and the "sensational" end, make up your own mind. 2.5/5
on 3 November 2015
This is an underrated little gem.
Very atmospheric and creepy with a killer finale.
The acting seems to have been slated but I thought it was passable.
If you're a fan of 70s and 80s horror like myself you will in all probability like this.
I'm glad I invested the time.
on 7 September 2010
I must be slightly unhinged to have sat and watched this poor excuse for a movie. Why this was ever a banned video nasty is beyond me? Its plot is standard slasher twaddle, but the pacing of the film is a joke. The director has used every trick in the book to try and pad out the run time. Endless lingering shots of scenery where nothing is happening and ceaseless and mindless chatter. The acting is abysmal even for a horror. I would love to know who did the score for this film. Sounded like a 3 year old pressing random keys on a synthesizer. And to wrap up this shocker, we are treated to an outrageous twist ending that is also a real downer. I will say that there is a nice bit of gratuitous T&A and the gore FX are pretty good. But the only good thing that came from me watching this is that I will never have to watch it again.
on 25 February 2005
This is an excellent classic movie from the 80's as a massive horror buff i had to purchase this as it was previously banned, if you like psychologial and graphic violence this is for you, the music is creepy aswell it's got a really good ending i won't go into detail but it will shock you even i wasn't expecting it, i recommend it to all horror fans.