Customer reviews

on 2 August 2014
I've always enjoyed Sawyer Bennett's books and this book is no exception. It appeared to be the third book in the series although this is the only book in the series that I've read so far. It didn't really matter as it didn't take away my enjoyment of the book. The hero, Gavin Cooke is a writer who was tortured by what happened to his family. He appeared to be an ass in the beginning but later on will be revealed as a kind, sweet man who is also a dirty talker in bed. In other words, he is my kind of hero. The heroine, Savannah Shepherd appeared to be a pushover in the beginning. As the story unfold, however, she would prove to have a backbone and prove to be a strong character. Overall I highly recommend this book, very sexy and emotionally satisfying.
on 3 April 2015
fantastic
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 July 2014
Sugar on the Edge, Sawyer Bennet.
Review from jeannie zelos book reviews.
I’m become a real Sawyer Bennet fan, this my third novel of hers now and once again I loved it. For me it has the perfect blend of romance and drama, sex and story. It’s the third in a series, but a stand alone and I can vouch for that as I’ve not read the first two ( though I will, some time...)
Gavin as the British author trying to work through a tragic past and finish his novel was perfect. A real jerk to Savannah at first, and uncouth and unrepentant in his drunken state. That was more or less full time, he was using alcohol to keep the past at bay, and cover his emotions. He’d bought an expensive house in a small town where his agent hoped the seclusion and change of scene would help him concentrate. So far though it wasn’t working...then Savannah comes into his life. She’s a photographer, but working only part time as an assistant to a real sleazeball man, and cleaning two other houses besides Gavin’s just to make ends meet. She’s exhausted and he mistakes that for her being a pushover, no back bone. He’s lots to learn though – she’s stood up publicly to one arrogant arse and isn’t going to take stick from another! Savannah is a lovely girl, and been through her own trauma in the past. she’s made a new start here, and has made some great friends. She’s very attracted to Gavin – well who wouldn’t be  he’s hotness all round. Underneath the abrasive rudeness he’s actually a nice guy too, and soon he and Savannah are lovers. What’s going to happen when he returns to England though – his term here is only to finish the book, do some tours and then he leaves.
I saw some of the drama coming, but never the less it worked well, and the sadness was played out, drawn into pages and pages as I need, not just over and done quickly. I need the drama this provides, I need to feel the emotion and tears, otherwise it becomes just another bland romance and Sawyer has done this for me in each book I’ve read so far! The sex scenes are good too – hot and sensual without being overdone, and they mix perfectly with a good, realistic story.
One crit though and its the UK/US language divide again...early on Gavin says something – I think its a comment on sidewalks but we’d say pavements. I can’t quite recall that part, though I noticed it at the time, then later when he’s talking to Brody, he says he’s got a glass of liquor to finish..We don’t say that but specify, in this case it would be a glass of whisky...small things though and comments only not criticisms.
Stars: Five, great read. Fun sexy romance.
ARC supplied via netgalley and publishers.
on 28 July 2014
I loved this book.
Sawyer Bennett will always be one of my automatic read authors. I love the characters, her style of writing, her stories are developed in such a way you cannot put them down, while the characters feel like the could be your friends or neighbours.

This book was brilliant from start to finish.
We have met Savannah in the previous two books. She is quiet and shy and works her ass off in several jobs just to get by. She is loyal and caring towards her friends, and goes out of her way to help anyone out, she is a all round nice person.

Gavin Cooke, what a guy he’s a brooding British author who moves for piece and quiet to meet a dead line to finish his novel. At first glance he is arrogant, self centred a bit of an ass. But Gavin has had unimaginable tragedy followed by a few years of self abuse that has helped to make him this way.

Savannah and Gavin have a spark that develops into a kind of friendship that moves onto more. As things get more intense Gavin struggles, Can they survive Gavin’s past and his fears? What will Savannah do if Gavin goes back to London?
You will have to read this great book to find out.

Sawyer has really upped the heat factor in this book there are some fantastic steamy moments and hot filthy talk!
Savannah and Gavin have a sexy chemistry that works so well with the story.
I have loved all three of the books in this series and cannot wait for more!
on 10 November 2014
Firstly thank you to Big Dog Books for approving me for a copy of this title on NetGalley. This is the first time I’ve read anything by Sawyer Bennett and although Sugar on Tthe Edge is part of a series (The Last Call) it can be read as a standalone.

The story starts with a glimpse into one of our main characters, Gavin Cooke’s tortured, angry, grumpy, gorgeous personality and we find out how he comes to meet our other main character Savannah.

The story is told from both character’s points of view which I really like in a story so that was a massive plus for me having the story start out this way. I liked the relationship set up that Savannah and Gavin had and how at odds their characters were to one another to begin with.

The chemistry between the characters is pretty palpable right from the start and I think it starts off more of an angry tension turning into a lust fuelled intensity between the two of them. Savannah lets herself go around Gavin and gives herself over to him even though she’s not sure of him. I liked the development of her character and how she dealt with what had happened in her past.

Gavin’s own past is pretty tragic and heart-breaking. When his secret past does come to light I felt the emotion but I also felt a little like the point was laboured. I feel like the story was a bit over worked in terms of the scale of the tragedy in his past and that it could have still had the same emotional impact if it had been simplified a bit.

Gavin is pretty highly stereotyped and I really hated that he called Savannah “love”! I often find it irritating when I see this in stories set in America with an English main character. It particularly irked me when he called her that while they were in the throes and I just felt like screaming at him. It felt completely at odds with his dominance in bed and I didn’t like it at all.

The relationship between the characters escalated really quickly over two weeks and takes up almost all of the story, the latter part of their relationship which takes part over a longer space of time is dedicated less page time and seemed a bit like the exciting part of the story was passed so let’s just rush through the rest.

Based on this I probably would read the rest of the series and I have downloaded another of Sawyer’s books to read.
on 30 August 2014
4.25 stars--SUGAR ON THE EDGE is the third instalment in Sawyer Bennett’s adult, contemporary Last Call erotic romance series. This is best selling British author Gavin Cooke and photographer Savannah Shepherd’s storyline. We were first introduced to Savannah in book two-MAKE IT A DOUBLE (Brody and Alyssa’s story) –as a volunteer at Alyssa’s no-kill animal shelter.

Gavin has come to America to finish up his manuscript. He is a man who uses women and alcohol to forget about a tragedy that has all but destroyed his life. When Savannah enters his less than orderly world as his house cleaner, Gavin is quickly taken aback when the feisty female suddenly becomes the muse for the heroine in his latest novel. Falling in love was never on Gavin’s agenda. But a surprise twist in their relationship finds Gavin on the run-something most people would not find easy to forgive. The profound heartbreak and pain that he causes Savannah touches everyone in her life.

The relationship between Gavin and Savannah begins as employer to employee but soon turns into something more. From housekeeper to personal assistant, Savannah begins to take charge of Gavin’s world both in and out of the bedroom. Gavin isn’t looking for anything permanent or serious but soon finds himself falling in love. As the storyline builds, so too does their relationship including a sensual and erotic sexual life.

The secondary characters include Brody and Alyssa as well as Hunter and Gabby from ON THE ROCKS. The world building brings together the gang from Last Call-their family, friendships, lovers and camaraderie bring a sense of familiarity and cohesion to the series.

Sawyer Bennett’s LAST CALL series takes the reader into a provocative and imaginative world. Her characters endure heartbreak, loss, intense emotional pain and a profound love that will last a lifetime. An amazing series from a talented author.
on 3 October 2014
Of the Sawyer Bennett books I have read, Gavin is the darkest of her creations. He is damaged and numb, having used alcohol, drugs and sexual experimentation to soothe his pain. Yet Sawyer Bennett indicates that there is a valid reason behind Gavin's asshole-ish behaviour and the moment this is revealed is an emotional one for Gavin, Savannah and us.
Although we have met Savannah in the previous Last Call books, Sugar on the Edge brings her into the spotlight. She lacks the bravado and wit of Gabby and Alyssa, but there is something about her determination which makes her likeable.
There is never a moment we doubt Savannah's relationship with Gavin will become romantic; she presents a challenge to him because she is so unlike any woman he has met. Gavin likes to taunt her with his dirty mouth and then knowledge that she is less experienced than he is. Initially, this is an unpredictable part of their relationship, but after a while becomes repetitive.
I have no issue with sex scenes in books, but prefer them to be part of the story, instead of feeling like they are supplementary. Savannah and Gavin's sexual appetite is insatiable, but after a time I found myself skimming through parts describing their exploits, bored with their recurrence.
Sugar on the Edge seems like an attempt by Sawyer Bennett to introduce a 'dirtier' element to the New Adult Contemporary genre, but I think in doing this the book fails in more basic areas. I enjoyed this less than The Last Call and Make Mine a Double, but will continue with the series regardless.
I received this as a complimentary review copy, but this has had no influence on my opinion.
on 11 August 2014
I put off reading this book thinking it couldn't be as good as its predecessors. Savannah had only been a minor character and bringing in an angst ridden British writer, Gavin, seemed to be a recipe for a quick, sloppy book to cash in on the popularity of the series.

How WRONG was that. My apologies to Sawyer Bennett that I ever entertained such thoughts. I started reading yesterday evening and only stopped for sleep.

All of the characters we know from previous books are still here. The difference is that they are bit players.

This book focuses closely on Savannah and Gavin aka sweet and filthy. The sex scenes veer more toward the filthy and there are many of them. Every one fits into place in the narrative. They have not been written and dropped in where the author was running out of ideas.

This book has become my favourite in the series. I need more. I wonder if Casey will get her turn?
on 23 June 2015
Gavin has been through the worst thing a person can go through and has given up on life.. Hiding behind a bottle, he's in a very dark place.. Using sex, alcohol and drugs to express his anger.. Pouring all that hurt and pain into his dark writing.. He's hit the bottom and doesn't want to get up.. buying a house in America he can hide away from the world.. Savannah is a sweet girl, she works three jobs and barely getting by.. Then she is offered a job, cleaning for a British author... He's rude, moody and he's a slob, but she needs the job.. Soon she's see's another side of him and can't help being drawn to him.. This is a story of loss, heart break and love.. You can feel their pain, anger and lust..
on 11 January 2015
It's no secret that I am hooked on this series. Each book which focuses on two different characters has a different feel to it. It's great to still read about all the others in the group ~ this story is about Savannah who we met before, and Gavin, a British Author who is trying to escape his demons. Good story. More scenes of a sexual nature in this one. Quite a dark feel to it but every page was addictive. Sawyer Bennett is now firmly in my top 5 favourite authors list. I'm moving straight on to Wyatt's story now.