on 9 March 2015
Enjoyed this book very much. Reads in a very plausible way, as good historic fiction should. Put's Dracula's struggle to rein and control his lands in perspective with his blood thirsty violence. He was a product of his times, but particularly harsh and unforgiving perhaps because being a prince in those times was a very dangerous job, not to mention the constant Ottoman threat. A brilliant war tactician, and Sultan Mehmed nemesis,he was an incredible warrior and leader who has certainly left his mark in history.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 July 2010
I purchased this book not realy knowing what to expect. Well at first I had problems getting in to it. I just had problems with the people and place names and remembering to who's alliance thay fell. Once I got my head in gear and waded through the first few pages of the book its a bit envolved with lots of political sculldugery and side setting, I really got into it and was held by the blinding passion of the much movie twisted historic person Dracula, only the end was a bit week. MMMMM maby thats too strong,Lets say a little streached I shall say all in all a good book if you have the time and a free mind to read that will answer a lot of questions about this Man,Monster,Brother,Husband,Father,Lord,Prince,Vanquish,and MYTH. Worth the trouble YES....
3 people found this helpful
on 8 May 2016
Excellent book. Wonderfully written and so easy to imagine all the images and characters as you read through it. Great flow to the story and would make an epic tv series, but works just as brilliantly in text.
on 1 December 2014
This is the best book I have read for a long time.
Fast paced from the beginning.
Not my normal genre so I took a risk but was well worth it.
Will be looking for something similar
on 4 February 2014
Very enjoyable. Only the end evokes the usual tale of Dracula the rest is a historical fiction that's well written,easily read and taught me a lot about Vlad the main one being respect.
on 23 April 2015
I am sorry but I did not enjoy it at all
on 9 September 2009
This book is not just about Vlad, it encompasses the fall of Constantinople, Mohammed the conqueror, Hunyadi and Belgrade etc etc. For those who are interested in this region and era it fills in a void, breathes a little life into the historical characters. When England was reeling from defeat in France during the hundred years war and embroiled in decades of civil war, the reader can see that there was another period of strife on the other side of Europe, one of faith and ambition. I must recoomend this book. Very good indeed
17 people found this helpful
on 16 July 2010
I read about Vlad alot, both fiction and factual books and I genuinely look forward to reading them each time a new one comes out.
This one almost disappointed me, I struggled through the first few chapters and kept putting it down, picking it up later to try again, I can only put that down to my lack on concentration because when I finally got into it I couldn't put it down.
I have since re-read it 3 times and it's become one of my favourite books about him.
I don't like commenting much on historical accuracies because, really, who can claim to know 100% what he did, to whom and when? so as long as the story doesn't run wildly into him becoming a vampire and sticks somewhat faithfully to his story then I am happy to read it.

If you have any interest in Vlad and want to know the man behind the infamous name then give this a go!
3 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2009
This is an excellent read about a very complex part of the renaissance period of history. Dracula is presented as a three dimensional character with no revisionist historical perspective. His brutality is shown as having a political motivation and in keeping with the cruelty of the period. There is a slightly jarring final aspect of a supernatural nature, but this was inevitable considering the Bram Stoker inspired view of Dracula. The military history from the siege of Constantinople to the evolution of cannon in warfare is very well researched and explained. A good read and recommended to all.
13 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2010
I was happy to find a product like this one.
Historical "facts" and a novel on one of the great christian champions.
The "legend" at the end I could have done with-out, but if you are into the vampire-lore it ties in well and will set you up for moving on to reading "The historian". It was like a short pre-quel to "The historian" and for that reason I can accept the final part of the book.
For a background into the wars of the time I find it very informative.
The whole "impaler" thing is also explained, and in the context of total war, it is deemed necessary.
So Vlad is a Prince in the style of Machiavelli, and for that reason he is a man you can like when reading the book.
(That is my humble opinion. If you should not agree, it is your right to dis-agree)
I warmly recommend this book.
6 people found this helpful