on 14 September 2014
Trouble in Tinseltown is the first in the Summer Flings series by Aimee Duffy. This is the first I have read by her and I enjoy her writing style.

This is a very short novella at around 40 pages and made this a perfect read for me travelling. I enjoy novellas that allow me to immerse myself in and I fell like the story has been concluded during a short period. Lately I have become quite busy and it is hard for me to find the time to read a book cover to cover. Novellas I find allow me to do this.

This story is about three girls who are off to travel the world and enjoy life while they are young. Elle has a rich grandfather who has many properties around the world and has allowed Elle and her friends to stay. Ciara is the more down to earth girl and comes from a different background to Gem and Elle.

I would say being so short we really get thrown into the action of the story, which I loved. The downside of this though I felt I didn't know the characters that well, however as the story developed I felt I got a better 'feel' for who the girls are.

This little novella packs a lot in. We have relationships, friendships, brushes with the law,and drama.

As the novella is so short I don't want to say too much about it, other than this is one to have on you for that commute or on holiday. I cannot wait to read the next instalment and follow the girls around the world. (Wishing I was with them!)

I would like to thank Aimee for sending me this in exchange for an honest review
on 27 September 2014
Quick fun read, can't wait to read the others!
Ciara is a regular Irish girl who has been taken under the wings of two very bold, rich English girls. Ellen and Gem are full of mischief and they're great at getting into trouble. The three friends went to university together and they want to have a summer of fun after graduation. Their first stop is LA where they start their holiday in a luxurious home. Only they aren't there by themselves, Ellen's gorgeous cousin Zack is keeping an eye on them. Their first highlight of the summer is a real Hollywood red carpet event. Will Ellen and Gem be able to behave?

Ciara is the more serious of the three friends. Ellen and Gem are nerdy chic and she's only a nerd, a pretty one though. She's proud and down to earth. Her friends can buy anything they like and nothing has consequences. Ciara loves them, but she also wants to be herself and I liked that about her. Trouble in Tinseltown is fun. The red carpet event made me laugh really hard. This short novella is the perfect beach read. It's a feel good story that managed to cheer me up. It's the first one of a series of seven and I can't wait to read the next one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2014
Trouble in Tinseltown is the perfect, girly summer read. As Ciara, Elle and Gem set off on their world trip, this book is filled with laughs, partying, drama, star-spotting and of course, the holiday hunk. And it’s a whole lot of fun. Aimee’s kicked off this short story series in great style and I can’t wait to read more from the girls.

Individually, we’re yet to learn much about these three friends but combined, they’re very entertaining. Ciara is very different to Elle and Gem – she’s not used to their expensive lifestyle and letting herself go like they do. She’s much more reserved and so they believe a holiday fling would do her a lot of good. I loved their friendship – the way they communicated was full of humour and they bring the kind of mad, fun-filled parties you’d want to be a part of. Though where you’d stay the night would be a whole different matter…

As for the holiday hunk, I’m intrigued. Or at least I’m intrigued after I’ve finished swooning. Elle’s cousin, Zack, livened things up just a little for Ciara and I’m interested to see how he’ll be involved when the girls hit Miami in the next short story. I trust in Aimee not to let us lose our fix of the gorgeous summer fling just yet!

Trouble in Tinseltown is exactly what I’m looking for in a quick summer read and this whole series is one I’m sure I’m going to love. This was a great start to the series with a whole lot of entertainment and leaving us with plenty more to learn about Ciara and her best friends. If you like your holiday reading to be fun, a little crazy and maybe laced with just a few z-list celebrities, you can’t go wrong with Aimee Duffy’s first Summer Flings instalment.

*Book gifted for honest review
on 11 February 2015
Review originally posted on my blog www.livinglifewithjoy.com

Trouble in Tinseltown is part 1 of Aimee Duffy’s Summer Flings novella series. After graduating from Oxford, three best girlfriends Ciara, Elle and Gem, have decided to take a two month around the world vacation before settling down and facing the realities of the real working world. The first stop on their trip is sunny Los Angeles. They are there to lounge around poolside, go shopping on Rodeo Drive and hopefully brush arms with a few movie stars. When Elle’s cousin Zack shows up at their grandpa’s Hollywood home, Ciara is in for a pleasant surprise. Perhaps Zack will be the perfect guy to have a fun, time-sensitive, summer fling with.

Ciara has some relationship issues though and thinks she’s not a stayer, like the mother that left her and her father when she was young. Her biggest fear is turning into her mother, but it doesn’t stop her from pushing away great guys because she fears that she’ll get bored and end up hurting them. Another one of her problems is that she doesn’t come from a wealthy family and thanks to their respective families, her two best friends have more money than they know what to do with. It’s difficult for Ciara to have best friends that never have to pay their bills because their parents fund their limitless credit cards. She doesn’t ever want to take advantage or take anyone’s charity and her friends understand and respect her wishes.

I have one main complaint about this series. This was the first novella in the series and had chapters 1 to 3. The next novella in the series has chapters 4 to 7. If the author planned on having the ‘novellas’ published as a few chapters at a time, it would’ve made more sense to publish it as one novel, not as a series of ‘novellas’. The story is a fun, light read with interesting characters that leave you wanting more and I enjoyed reading it, but I don’t like that it’s not just one novel, or a collection of novellas where each one starts with a chapter 1. I would recommend the series, but I’m disappointed that it wasn’t just sold as one book.
on 7 August 2014
Trouble in Tinsel Town is the first delicious slice of fun and flirty mayhem for Ciara, Elle and Gem. The Oxford graduates leave their studies behind and set off on a backpacking tour of the world. LA is the first stop. Believe me if I could experience backpacking in the style these three do I would be first in line.
The setting is glitzy and glamorous, seen from Ciara's point of view. Elle and Gem are trust fund babes but Ciara is different and looking at celebrity lifestyle through her eyes grounds this story in a pleasing way.
The three friends are likeable characters. Elle and Gem appear shallow but I suspect their individual stories will make the women beneath the public face, complex and interesting. Ciara is intelligent and attractive but a little scared of living. Elle and Gem care about her and want her to have fun and that's what a trip of a lifetime should be right?
It couldn't be a summer fling without a hot man and Zack certainly fulfils the role. Serious and sexy Ciara finds him hard to resist but is this just a fling or something more, guess we'll have to see what happens in Miami.
Trouble in Tinsel Town is full of humorous, realistic, dialogue. I was ready to jump in their luggage after enjoying the pool and the party, eager to see what happens at the next destination of their adventure.
I received a copy of this book from Harper Impulse via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
on 29 September 2014
This sounded like a proper summer chick-lit romp and I couldn't wait to get started. After all, the cover was gorgeous, begging me to read it. 'Read me, read me' it begged, in a voice like Gollum's... Ok, maybe not, but you know what I mean. So I sat in the garden on a beautiful sunshiny day and read it from start to finish (it's only a short read, the first in a series).

Friendships in fiction are always a winner, and Ciara, Ellie and Gem are a lively trio. I found their bond appealing but couldn't really warm to any of the girls. Maybe that was partly due to the length of the story, but it did mean I didn't care that much about what happened.

Whilst it had all the ingredients of a rollicking chicklit/NA read- girlfriends, relationships, humour, sex- it fell a bit short for me. I think I'd have preferred it as a full length novel, or at least a longer novella.

Although I like Aimee Duffy's writing, I don't think I'll be rushing to read the rest of this series. But a longer novel? Yes please.
on 27 August 2014
3 Friends set off on a round the world trip, starting off in LA. The story is full of fun, I could have imagined going on holiday with these girls (many years ago).
Ciara, Elle and Gem are just great character. Each one with their own individual personalities. As this is only a short story I really don't want to go into the story for fear of giving to much away.
So what I will say is it is a great fun, easy read. Sit back and get stuck in. you will not regret it.

I will be adding the others in the series to my to read list.
on 16 August 2014
I was expecting a funny light -hearted story that perhaps satirized the worst excesses of Hollywood. Instead, this is a very short story of two spoilt rich girls and their wannabee friend maxing out Daddy’s credit card, getting drunk and gatecrashing a celebrity party. Somehow for me the humour was lacking and in such a short story I found it difficult to empathise with any of the characters let alone believe that they were Oxford graduates. This is in no way a criticism of the writing itself just that this story wasn’t for me. Sadly, I won’t be following their adventures in Miami.
This book took me less than half an hour to read and yet was so action packed and fun. Only a talented author could achieve that and despite this being my first read from Aimée Duffy it's clear that she has that talent. There is no shortage of chick lit authors yet Aimée definitely has her own distinctive writing style and I loved it. There's a few authors doing these short releases set in glamorous places around the world but if I'm honest this is the one I was most excited for (which explains my frustration at being declined then approved on Netgalley)! I love the covers and the blurbs and couldn't wait to get stuck in.

With short stories it's almost impossible to discuss the plot but basically Ciara and her two best friends Gem and Elle are travelling around the world - first stop LA. For someone not going on holiday this year these books are ideal. Aimée captured the setting perfectly and I was transported to LA for a short time. Arriving at their accommodation Elle is furious to see her cousin Zach is there as well. Ciara however is far from furious when she claps eyes on him... Off to a party at Nobu the girls soon find themselves in a pretty outrageous and hilarious situation.

With short stories certain aspects do have to be rushed but could chemistry be created between two characters in just a few pages? The answer to that is definitely. The flirting between Ciara and Zach is light hearted and believable at first and then the heat is knocked up a level... And then as with all the best short stories the book is over leaving you desperate for more. Luckily we don't have to wait too long to meet up with the girls again, this time in Miami and I can't wait. I will also have to check out more from Aimée Duffy, if she can write such a fantastic story in a short amount of pages I'd love to read a full book from her.