on 31 December 2015
I have read every (or nearly every - may have missed the odd one or two) previous GS novel and have loved every one of them but I think this is the end of the love affair - this is the first one where I was glad to get to the end.
GS's usual ingredients (a fanatic with a mission and a journey, a damaged, normally psychologically, individual whose mission is to stop the fanatic, plus some manipulation, deception, betrayal and treachery) are all here but there is just too much of everything: too many fanatics, too many journeys, too many damaged individuals and too much manipulation, deception, betrayal and treachery.
There is also too much superfluous waffle and padding - whole subsidiary storylines could have been cut out (eg: the visits to the WWII battlefields) without leaving a hole in the main story.
Many parts of the story are way beyond credibility and many of the characters are cardboard cutouts.
A huge disappointment for me and I suggest that, if you are a GS fan, you give this one a miss.
on 24 May 2017
I have read most of Seymour books. This one I did read it over half way and got lost? he always was such a great writer but I really was making very heavy weather reading this it seemed that the story had wandered away from the very good beginning. So I do have faith in this guy it must be me. So I have started once again from the beginning reading it again. about three chapters in and its going ok. The Vagabond this time is a real person, I seemed to have lost this before. so Gerald I will go on to the end .Vagabond is yet another tale of the IRA. this time the new IRA and once again the evil is there, .don`t miss it,
on 10 August 2016
Whilst I didn't hate this book I have to say I was glad to get to the end. Whilst I wanted to find out what the ending would be I was far from gripped.
Part of the problem was the structure, it flitted around between character, location, and time, so much so that characters didn't seem to be developed. By the time you were getting an interest in s character and their story there was another to read about. There is a whole story going on with a friend of the main character and battle field tours which I ended up skipping as it added nothing and could have been cut completely
Despite having loved Harry's Game I just felt the author was trying too hard here and less would have been more
on 16 January 2017
This is my 5th Seymour read and has put me off going for more. Enjoyed the previous 5 but this one just dragged along, I lost the plot, such as it is, a few times and had to go back and try to pick it up. Jumping around just to much through out the chapters, no real out standing characters or plot.
on 19 August 2014
Another engrossing thriller from the master of this genre! Hooked from page 1 - great plotting and characterisation. The plot-line which revolves around illegal arms dealing, moves between Northern Ireland and Prague and is embedded in historical facts which serve to shine light on the motiviation of all the players. The goodies and the baddies appear to move in and out of their roles as the story unfolds. Would have given it 5 stars but for the ending which slightly disappointed.
on 25 July 2015
Not Seymours best and has the feel of someone running out of steam and or ideas. The plot is a bit far fetched and some of the characters are outrageous and emotionally wounded to the point where they would be hard pressed to survive. Never missed a Seymour book and I won't give up on him yet but this was poor.
on 30 August 2014
Just brilliant! I'd read some newspaper reviews of the book and it seemed as if some of the reviewers weren't overly impressed. However, there was no need to worry. This is Gerald Seymour at his best. What a fantastic writer he is. This is Seymour at his brilliant best. If, like me, you're a fan, then you really should read this book. You won't be disappointed. The intrigue, the plot and the dialogue all contribute to an outstanding read.
on 18 October 2015
You will never get a happy ending from a Gerald Seymour story but you will learn a little more about humanity at its highest and lowest level.
Vagabond is another peerless journey to the dark side of life with characters that you either love or hate like they are your own family, all utterly believable and so beautifully detailed that your there with them at every turn of the page.
on 23 April 2016
Another wonderful book to read, right to the end you are there.I love his writing ,he alway brings you into the story and you stay to the end. Well done yet again.
on 14 September 2016
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Seymour handles old wounds so well, this one and his books about the Bosnian conflict really hit home.