Customer reviews

Dark Water (The Wild Water Series: 2)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(5 star). See all 47 reviews
on 3 October 2017
Goodness - having read book 1 in the series - I had, of course to read book 2. I was warned it was a DARK READ, never ever did I expect what was coming.
It started off gently, following Anna, Jack, Patsy and the children. Lottie one of the children had me giggling big time at one stage.
It became more and more gripping as the story advanced.
I do not know how to do this book justice, for although there are some pretty gruesome happening, and I mean gruesome, you had to carry on reading to find out what was going to happen.
On Facebook when I tagged Jan in a post, and said wow - she said wait till you get to the epilogue.
Oh dear I have now had to buy book 3 as I have to find out who, what, how!
That is all I am saying as I don't do spoilers
Do read book one first, which is called Wild Water (The Wild Water Series:1)
|0Comment|Report abuse
Secrets from the past, untold truths, are about to catch up with Jack Redman in the form of nutter, Simon Banks, who wants to help himself to a large slice of Jack’s life. Simon doesn’t need to do much to get it – he just has to spill the beans. He’s relying on his old lover, Patsy, who will do pretty much anything for money, to help him do it.

You know how it is when the most important decisions (the one’s that might, just might, mess up your life if you get them wrong) thrust themselves upon you and demand to be answered when too much else is already happening in your life and you can’t deal with this, too? So, you follow the choice that tugs at your emotional heart strings, even though alarm bells are ringing in your head; you barely hear your own voice of reason above the clatter and clutter of your life and, anyway, you don’t have the time or energy to think straight.
This is what happens to Jack and the choice he makes is to let bygones be bygones and go along with his ex- wife’s plea to move herself and their children into Jack’s cottage, just down the road from Jack’s love nest with Anna.

Everyone but Anna thinks the devious and manipulative Patsy has reformed and is finally acting in her children’s best interest. Anna is the voice in the wilderness, ignored and increasingly marginalised. Jack is torn between his two great loves – Anna, and his kids from his marriage to Patsy. He has to do what is right for his kids but it seems that Anna is unwilling to compromise. As the strain on their relationship takes its toll, Simon Banks is watching and waiting to destroy all that Jack holds dear.

Jan Ruth is a master story-teller. Her characters and their predicaments are so human and so real that you are immediately immersed in their lives; feeling their pain, their joy, and sharing in their laughter, their fears and insecurities. I was rooting for Anna in this one, clasping my forehead with my hand and thinking, oh no, Jack, you IDIOT! Read it, you will see what I mean!
on 5 August 2014
You know what it's like, you've got a load of books to pile through, you look forward to starting them but book after book just doesn't grab you. When that happens I need a break. And for that break I go to Jan Ruth - this is the fourth book of hers I've read and I know one thing when I turn that first page, I'm going to love it! Jan's style of writing is fluid and easy to read, the stories are cracking and the characters ones you come to care about. It's all very real - the people, the settings and what's happening along the way - if ever I was in Conwy, I'd be looking out for Jack Redmond that's for sure. Poor Jack, in this superb sequel to Wild Water, he is as beleaguered as ever by his family, which impacts on his new relationship with artist Anna Williams. There's serious repercussions in fact, but you'll just have to read the book to find out what they are - suffice to say, the epilogue will blow your socks off! I also love the Welsh background to it all. Jan's prose is also so beautiful at times, e.g. When it became the taste of sunlight, the sound of distant snowfall, black birds flying at midnight and the perfume of water. There are only a few writers I highlight passages from - Dean Koontz and Ian Banks are two of them and now Jan Ruth - some of the writing really is poetic. I hope there's a third in this series because heaven knows, if there is, it's going to be a blockbuster!
on 21 July 2014
Wild Water 2. WW2. And it might as well be World War 2 as Jack and Anna try to get their lives in order. You’d think it would be ‘happy every after’, but that doesn’t take into account Jack’s ex-wife, nor the other characters that come crawling out of the woodwork, determined to spoil any chance of happiness that Jack and Anna might find. And Anna doesn’t help when she decides to take matters into her own hands.

I’m sure these are real people. I’m sure the farm exists, and I could walk into the estate agents and find the characters sitting there. The detail, the nitty-gritty of family life – of extended family life when mistakes come home to roost and nothing is quite what it seems. We’re all like this in reality, multi-faceted and only showing others what we want them to see. This is what I love about this author, the sheer authenticity of her world, where we can see ourselves in these people.

Highly-recommended reading for all generations.
on 4 September 2014
Oh Jack, Jack. I could wring your neck sometimes! When I started reading Dark Water I wondered why he was so cross all the time when life had panned out quite well for him, living part time with the delectable Anna. It was almost as if the drama was foreshadowed by his mood before it happened. Despite my annoyance with his short fuse, his big heart drew me in and I was rooting for him all the way. The self serving Patsy also irritates but Ms Ruth has the gift of letting you inside the heads of the most abject failures, even the sinister and very well drawn Simon, whose tentacles menace the main characters throughout the alternating comedy and drama that is Dark Water. I recommended read for those who love great characterisation, beautiful scenery, well described, and a taut, gripping story. Great stuff.
on 25 July 2014
Hard to believe it was a few years ago I read Wild Water, I was instantly back with the characters, who in all honesty I probably hadn't fully left behind anyway.
It's even harder to believe these characters actually only exist in Ms Ruth's imagination and that it's fifteen years since she created them in Wild Water! They are colourful and alive and jumping out of the page - they must have been waiting there for her to write them another book.
I loved the sequel as much as the first, it was seamless, great to get back into the story, to love Jack and hate Patsy, read about their highs and lows again.
The book is much darker than the first as the title suggests, which just adds to the page turning quality of it.
I loved it. I just wish I didn't alwaysread her books too fast!! At the end of another one now and the wait begins again .....
on 30 July 2014
Another brilliant book from Jan Ruth, this is a sequel to Wild Water, where we met the cast and watched them sort out their mistakes and misunderstandings, to live happily ever after. Dark Water takes us into the ever after and it’s not happy like a fairy tale, because these characters are very convincingly real and that means they’ve brought all their quirks and failings with them, and once more I want to plead with them, or shout “No, don’t do it!” There’s conflict, aggravation, grief, drama and humour, woven together in some unforgettable scenes (Lottie’s phone calls, Benson, Oxfam, resident racoons), and just when everything finally sorts itself out, a school bus arrives… Deep water, still around the corner.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2014
Oh dear, poor Jack, but will he ever learn where ex wife Patsy's concerned? I doubt it. It was good to re-visit this cast of characters and the Welsh countryside in the second novel of the series. Jack's time with Anna is limited as it is, due to work and family commitments, and when he makes yet another wrong decision, that precious time is under even more threat. He means well and tries to do his best for all concerned, but Anna is no pushover and has her own agenda. Well written as always with a great cast, this is a book that's hard to put down. Hopefully there will be a third story in the not too distant future. A highly recommended 5* read.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2014
This is a stunning novel and an excellent sequel to Wild Water. I felt as if I was meeting old friends as I renewed their acquaintance through the pages. Lottie is just as odd and loveable as before and Jack reminds of someone who I used to know who has many of the same characteristics. Anna and Jack are soulmates whereas, Patsy, Jack's ex-wife is as grasping as ever. Oliver, the typical teenager who needs to learn his lessons the hard way while Chelsey gets on with her life, secure in the knowledge of her Jack's love.

I beautifully written, emotional story of love, loss, and family life with an underlying seam of danger. This story unfolds to the backdrop of the Welsh mountains, the rugged beauty, the summer sun, and also the heartbreak of losing a beloved animal. Pass the tissues, please!
on 4 May 2016
Having read Wild Water, the first in this series quite some time ago, I'm ashamed I left it so long to read the next instalment. Everything I love about this author's writing is still here, from the utterly convincing characters to the real life believable plots, and you are drawn through the messy lives of Jack, Anna and Patsy, watching it all unfold with great skill. I particularly love Jack as a character. He's such a loveable but hapless man, and at times you want to shake him as he always seems to get it wrong, despite the best of intentions. The cleverness in the writing really shows itself here though, as his actions never feel contrived, and in truth, could he really act any other way? Another throughly enjoyable read.