on 11 February 2016
I found this story to be rather far fetched............or so I thought. When I stopped to think about it, I can imagine that a lot of stories about the war could easily be classed as "far fetched", but the reality is that what seems bizarre and amazing, was nearer the norm in those days.

The story of Billy, a sad but intelligent boy of 9 years, goes looking for his dad, has some adventures along the way, and different people help him in different ways. Of course, nowadays, a 9 year old travelling alone on a train when four men take an interest in him, would probably send alarm bells ringing. During WW2, it was a different story. People helped each other during that dreadful time, most of them had endured a tragedy of some sort, so were sympathetic to others who had also had tragedies in their life.

All in all, it was a good read and I would recommend it. Ok, it was a bit predictable in places, but that didn't spoil the story. Try it, see what you think.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 May 2016
I liked this book about Billy .Told from a childs point of view his experience of life in the war .Sad at times but shows what courage our country had to get us through. Ending slightly predictable but I would read it again and although i had it for free I would have willingly paid for it
on 4 December 2015
Great read.a young boy who's mum dies in a air raid lives with an aunt who doesn't treat him well he goes to London to try and find his dad in the war the train journey I found really funny with help with friends it's a great read loved it.
on 30 January 2018
This was a lovely,gentle read. I found the story very interesting and I would recommend this as a good read. Best book I have read in ages
on 26 April 2015
This is one of the best books I have read, I really enjoyed the story line, I felt for Billy all through, he was only a young lad but life was not so good, after loosing his mum the way he did,it was heartbreaking. But after this his only wish was to find his dad, did he or did'nt he.....I would say its a book you must read, great.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2017
Found it impossible to put down. Looking forward to reading more of these books. Thoroughly enjoyed every page. More like this please
on 20 January 2016
This is a great book. I felt as if I shared Billie's journey with him through the words of the author. Would recommend to anyone who likes easy reading that gets your emotions going
on 17 July 2014
A splendid book from start to finish, once started I couldn't put it Down. Perhaps a little far fetched, but enjoyable all the same. Well written, clear and concise.
Will certainly try more books by this author.
on 20 January 2016
A deeply riveting read. Poor Billy, From an awful start to a wonderful end end.. Very good book, well written.
on 25 August 2014
This delightful short story is well told in simple language such that it would be suitable for both adults and children. It brings to life the harsh realities of war and the tragedy of losing a parent and learning that a mother's love is a precious and irreplaceable thing. So is the love of a good book! The author may be an octogenarian but he is blossoming into a very competent fiction writer. I eagerly await his next book.