on 29 July 2014
I am only half way through this absolutely delightful gospel of Harry's pilgrimage. I use the word gospel in the sense that it is incarnational and 'good news', and it has passion. It is also humbling and soul inspiring. Very few books are cover to cover reads but this is, each chapter is well written, humorous, and draws you beautifully one after the other, almost like the footsteps of this pilgrim. The book has a spiritual depth to it, deeply moving and insightful on the soul. Harry describes so many sacred spaces from churches to flea ridden mattresses with the devout eye of a pilgrim. The reader needs to beware it will stir up the inner self, not necessarily to put on your own walking boots but to understand what pilgrims endured and brought joy. Harry Bucknall does this so very well. I hope his iPod can last a while longer for another journey on-wards. Once a pilgrim always a pilgrim. Thank you.

Addendum - I have now finished the book and I am delighted that it did not disappoint from start to finish, don't hesitate to buy this and settle back for a yummy read. Roland Olliff
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 June 2015
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did, I thought it would be just the usual "one man on a walk" type affair. Turns out I read the whole thing in short order and was much happier for it. It flows wonderfully, regularly leaves a smile on your face and makes you seriously think about taking the same journey yourself (not bad considering my militant atheism).
I recommend this book wholeheartedly for an uplifting read.
on 24 July 2015
Fabulous book. Beautifully written yet light hearted and written a man with a real passion for geography, culture and history and who clearly just likes people. It was thoroughly entertaining, interesting and educational.
on 30 September 2014
I loved this book. Harry Bucknall writes with humour as well as an eye for detail. I'm interested in walk the away myself and so was delighted to find. My worry now is he made it such a good walk the thousands from The Camino will flood the road - it's that good.
on 13 August 2014
This is the second book I have enjoyed by this author and he has matured and developed as a writer so much since his Greek Odyssey. It is funny and touching and wonderfully informative. One shares his aching feet, his wonderment at the glory of the buildings he describes so eloquently and ultimately the joy and triumph of his arrival in Rome.
on 27 July 2014
I am enthrallled by Harry's second book and I am happy ploughing through it. He writes in a manner that allows the reader to become absurd in the tale and it's a wonderful balance of information about the places, people he meets and his mood. I reallly don't "do God" but find myself wrapped up in the whole undertaking, feeling jealous of the experience and obvious joy that the walk provides. A great read.
on 28 July 2016
Very enjoyable and engaging - a little too much historical context for my taste, but well researched and written. I enjoyed the personal journey element of the book most of all.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 January 2015
Pristine. Began reading it at once - a remarkable story, well told by a knowledgeable author with good touches of humour.
on 22 December 2016
Enjoyed this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 September 2014
A personal journey with plenty of European history along the way. Not a pilgrimage in the overt sense but an incentive to those who may feel motivated to continue the search. A light touch to his writing which is pleasing.