on 19 October 2014
Fair play to the man for being the huge success he is, and he proudly lingers on for a fair few pages of this book to tell us about that fact (Yes, yes I know he feels he has to in order to add gravitas to his product...), but I found the overly Americanised, simplistic 'buddy-buddy' writing of this book frankly hard work and almost unbearable for most of the read.

The author does however openly admit he's not the best copywriter out there, so that's made me want to be less harsh on the man.

Why the over use of exclamation marks is favoured by so many writers these days beats me though. It gives such an ott, sensationalist and dummed-down feel to any copy.

I wanted the book to deliver on its titles premise- to aid aspiring copywriters in their journey towards honing their writing and self-promotion skills as the much over used "Survival Guide" assertion implies. Instead, I got a somewhat annoyingly brash "How To Make Ten Million Bucks In Two Days By Being Generally Amazingly Awesome And Ever-So-Slightly Smug!!!" book. This was not what I was after.

It really isn't all that bad though- Doberman Dan (really?...) did provide some interesting ideas and great food for thought- just not too much insight into the actual meat and bones of the process of copywriting I was expecting!
on 24 August 2014
A number of non-fiction Kindles I've read scream out loud that the author simply researched the topic of the book, then wrote (or had someone else write) from the outside looking in. The way they're written makes it obvious the authors have no hands on experience of what they write about. Not so Doberman Dan. I hadn't come across him before reading this Kindle ebook, but it's obvious he does know the business from the inside out. It shows! And he writes in a way that makes me want to go on reading his text. Which once again is testament to his expertise. Expertise gained from working the way he recommends to his readers.
on 1 July 2014
Everything Dan does is real. Gritty. Excellent. He's an ex street cop who's been there done that in life. I like Doberman Dan. His newsletter is excellent (damn - I should be putting an affiliate link in here :-) as is his other material.
He is a great teacher because he runs his own real businesses - he doesn't just write about it, like so many do.
For the price I think everyone who has even a passing interest in writing sales copy for money should invest in this book.
And if you're looking for serious advice, then please don't be fooled by the price. Dan knows what works in the real world of getting clients.
on 4 October 2016
Loved this book by Dan who was willing to share his copywriting tips so you can write great copy in many situations. If you are in sales, marketing, consulting or a small business owner then I strongly suggest reading this book.
on 1 July 2014
Let veteran Doberman Dan take you by the hand and show you how to:

* Hone your copywriting skills while earning money
* Set up a profitable business from you kitchen table
* Find a starving market with cash on the hip and a desire to spend it
* Develop hot products with big margins
* Achieve an income and lifestyle most people can only dream off
* Position yourself head and shoulders above your competition

I've had the pleasure to speak with Dan personally and can hand on heart confirm he's one of the good guys!
on 1 July 2014
A book which combines old school know how with modern street smarts. I like the emphasis on being paid well while you learn. Anyone interested in the psychology of marketing will love the field of copywriting. A great introduction to a potentially lucrative freelance career.
on 21 November 2017
Great insight and practical steps to creating a side business that goes a long way in training you as a kickass copywriter.

I'm inspired!

Thanks Dan!
on 22 March 2015
I thought the. Book was about copywriting. The way no help in how to become a copywriter.
I know how to set up a business. I was looking for detail on copy-writing as a beginner. There was some good information in the book and I would recommend it to friends.
on 20 July 2014
How do people get away with this stuff - oh, because idiots like me buy it, LOL :) At least it's relatively short!
on 29 August 2014
One thing you can learn from the author is how to waffle. I don't recommend it.