Top positive review
57 people found this helpful
This is a brilliant coffee machine
on 26 September 2017
This is a brilliant coffee machine. I am quite a serious coffee lover. We used an Italian stove top Moka pot for years, and it always made excellent coffee, but I wanted something that could make me amazing lattes without all the faff and expense.
1) For excellent espresso, set the coffee volume on the front to maximum and the water volume to minimum. I set the grinder on the inside to around 4. I found any lower (3 or 2) resulted in burnt coffee, and any higher resulted in coffee that was too weak.
2) Buy a milk jug for frothing. I find a small (330ml) one is about right for 1 or 2 cups of latte.
3) Source a good local or online coffee bean supplier and buy good quality fresh beans - I personally don't think very highly of those off the shelf supermarket type beans, which are usually roasted too much and are not really very fresh. We usually source our coffee from a great little local coffee supplier in Dundee and sometimes in the Newcastle market. I like to try many different types of coffee - South American, African, Australasian, light/dark roasts. All are excellent in this machine and consistent.
4) Watch a few youtube videos on how to make a latte. Seriously, it makes a difference how you pour the milk! :)
5) You need to keep the machine clean. After every use, I take off the milk wand and rinse it quickly under the tap, and then blow some steam out to clean out the inside of the wand. The drip tray and coffee grinds get filled up pretty quickly and I think really should be cleaned out pretty regularly, otherwise they can go a bit rancid.
Excellent machine - very pleased.