Customer reviews

Live at Stony Brook University Ny 22oct1
Format: Audio CD|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 August 2014
This is not a review as such it's just that I saw that Amazon (at the time of writing) have not given us the tracks so here they are.

The CD was recorded at Live at Stony Brook University New York on 22nd October 1968.

If you spot any typos etc just add a comment and before you can say 'Hot Rats!' I will adjust and correct the list and credit you with your sharp eyes and patience.

For those in the know please ignore the last track on the CD ( I add this because all my listings seem to be copied and pasted along with mistakes and typos and printed elsewhere without giving me any credit for compiling the list in the first place.

That all important essential Track listing: is

1. Mr. Blues
10. Hey Grandma
11. It's a Beautiful Day Today
12. Miller's Blues/Omaha
13. Cook's Blues.
44 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2016
I bought this because from the other reviews, I guessed the sound wouldn't be any worse than Sundazed's 2010 Moby Grape release entitled Live, which is rough, not a great recording but listenable. If some are giving it a 5 star review, the sound can't be that awful, despite what the 1 star reviewers said.

I was wrong - this is much worse - the sound quality is awful, everything muffled and distorted, the drums often painfully louder than the rest of the instruments, which domimnates/spoils everything. Surely this was recorded from the bogs, if from in the building at all - more likely from 3 streets away. This CD is going straight down the charity shop. I listen to some fairly rough live recordings because I love the music, so I'm no hi-fi purist with unrealistic expectations, but you just can't listen to this one. There's a basic, pretty low minimum, and this falls way below that, Unlistenable.
on 25 July 2016
Very poorly recorded (distortion) with no overall balance between the voices and instruments. Moby Grape is/was one of my favorite bands but it is extremely unlikely that I will ever play this disc again. I am very disappointed that a highly reputable vendor like Amazon would offer such a shoddy product. Don't waste your time or money.
on 29 July 2014
sound quality varies but well worth getting. As ever, the guys rock incredibly (Can't be so bad and Hey Granma are truly fine, citizen). In spite of what the official blurb says, I'd swear that is Skip taking lead vocal on Can't be so bad. Ballads fare well...esp. Sitting by the Window and 8.05.
on 23 February 2017
Sound quality is not much better than an audience bootleg, but there isn't much live Grape to choose from.
quality a bit rough but grape at their best,a must have for grape fans new and old. 5 stars
on 19 December 2015
Recording quality very poor... Avoid!
on 27 October 2014