on 9 January 2016
Absolutely loved this book. Whilst chilling me to the bone it also demonstrated to me how abuse in childhood really has an impact on how we live our lives as adults and what we would be prepared to do to protect our own children. Alongside this we see a family coping with Alex's PTSD following his stint in the armed forces. I am away now to buy Elizabeth's previous book Nearest thing to crazy.
on 4 November 2014
WOW - what a book! I read this book having loved The Nearest Thing to Crazy and had high expectations! Thankfully this is also an absolute stunner of a book and its twisty storyline will completely throw your mind and leave you wondering who you can believe. Brilliant 2nd book by Elizabeth Forbes and I eagerly await her next!
on 29 October 2016
Subject matter disturbing. Had sympathy for all in the book and feel for all the ex servicemen and women and their families who live with the reality of this illness.
on 5 September 2016
Fantastic read couldn't put it down very well written
on 5 January 2015
Really enjoyed this author's previous book but this was if possible even better only started reading this.morning and finished already
on 21 March 2015
A dark and compelling read about a couple, who outwardly look like they have the perfect family - but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

both of them badly damaged by traumatic childhood incidents, She has finally got her heart's desire ... her husband out of the army into a safe job in the city, a permanent base that they can call their own in a nice house in a good neighbourhood where they can raise their darling son. But Alex has more than his traumatic childhood to deal with - he is suffering badly from PTSD and can't or won't admit to any weakness or that he's in need of help.

In this dark, fast paced and (at times) downright uncomfortable novel Elizabeth Forbes gives us a well crafted account exposing horrific aspects of domestic violence, and how the victim will repeatedly forgive and protect the abuser. She introduces us the terror of having PTSD and the terror of living with a person who has PTSD which in this case has manifested into exaggerating his already controlling behaviour. The story line is cleverly constructed and we are drip fed events from the past, learn how supportive internet groups can be when you can't or dare not tell anyone what you are going through, but also how dangerous it can be to trust some people in those groups. I actually didn't particularly like either of the main characters but, as in her earlier book, Nearest Thing To Crazy, Elizabeth Forbes knows just how to mess with your head and throughout the book as we learn more of the past, we are led to sympathise with one and then the other.

On a practical note this well researched story helps to highlight the problem of PTSD and domestic violence, which can only be a good thing. The notes at the end of the novel make for interesting reading. Highly recommended 4.5 stars
on 17 February 2015
Whilst Alex has been serving in the army out in Afghanistan, Juliet has forged a strong and powerful relationship with their son Ben. Then Alex leaves the army to return to the family home and Juliet finds that life becomes very unpredictable and erratic when her husband starts to display symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and she starts fearing for her life........... A very powerful, dark, psychological thriller that grips the reader from the very first page. A book that twists and turns and keeps you guessing until the very end. I would highly recommend this book.
on 22 January 2015
Absolutely loved this book just as much as her first novel, nearest Thing to Crazy, very well written and would ded recommend to anyone that loves this genre.
on 15 July 2014
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU ALEX?

Juliet and Alex are a happy married couple live in a well-appointed house in a leafy London suburb with their son, Ben. Juliet is delighted that Alex is a career officer in an elite regiment, but all is not well when Alex returns home from Afghanistan a completely change man.

Juliet researches on the internet with a support group that inform her that Alex is suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder known as PTSD and he needs help. Juliet knows that Alex had suffered physical abuse at school and inflicting harm in Afghanistan which has led him to developing PTSD.

Juliet begins to fear for her life as he has tried to strangle her in their bed during the night. Alex becomes Increasingly unsettled putting Juliet through the most horrifying ordeal, one that makes Juliet determined to leave Alex. Twisted Alex does not see that he has done anything wrong all he sees is that Juliet is a useless woman and infuriating.

Elizabeth Forbes knows how to write novels after novels that make your stomach jump. I have read and reviewed Nearest Thing To crazy wrote by Elizabeth Forbes, which was absolutely spectacular frightening and that book led me to wanting to read more by Elizabeth Forbes so I decided to read Who Are You. If you want an crime author to follow then Elizabeth Forbes is the perfect number one choice. I hope many readers enjoy reading all of Elizabeth Forbes books as much as I have.
Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 January 2015
I so wanted to be original when writing about this one, but it's really difficult. Looking at other reviews, I can see that other people have used "seriously disturbing", "all-consuming" and more, so what more can I say? I read this book in one sitting on a hot afternoon in the garden - well, I say "one sitting" but I did break off twice because it was really difficult to read on through the dreadful cruelty these two appalling people are capable of inflicting on each other. I say "appalling people", but Lizzie Forbes does something so clever in this book - because the story is told from both viewpoints, you find yourself sympathising with and feeling for them both at times, however you try to resist. The character development is quite superb, the writing both taut and flowing, and the narrative sweeps you up and carries you with it, whether you want to be carried or not. So dark, horribly chilling, and - yes - seriously disturbing.

At a rational level, I have to say that I liked Nearest Thing To Crazy better: at an emotional level, Who Are You? would be really difficult to better. I'm dying to see what this wonderful author comes up with next - what an amazing talent.