Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 24 April 2010
This the ninth Roger Brook story sees our hero visiting more exotic parts.Having had an early escape from Russia Napoleon sends him to Turkey and Persia.Here he meets th beutifull Lisala de Pombal.Action then spreads to Portugal and Brazil as Roger learns about the Evil in a Mask.Once again Denis Wheatley has provided an exiting story with a sound historical back story.The nature of this story takes Roger out of the centre of Europe and the war beig waged there. A good read
on 12 September 2014
The fact that Wheatley crammed these novels with reams of verbose exposition and lengthy historical background detail can prove a mixed blessing. Depends on what you want to get out of your reading experience, I guess. Speaking for myself, having recently read (or is that "got through ?") the first four Roger Brook adventures, I felt that by the time I was half way into The Man Who Killed the King, my interest was flagging and my concentration severely hampered by constantly being taken out of the adventure by page upon page of Pre- and Post French Revolution politics. My hat seriously goes off to Wheatley. The fact that he researched this period to the degree he did is testament to his incredible talent as a serious author. However, the sound historical accuracy could've been seriously edited down and numerous character conversations shortened or jettisoned altogether in favour of accentuating what he did brilliantly....provide a rip-roaring adventure in the best thriller writer tradition...and if you're new to Wheately, believe me, he can do written word excitement that few others have equalled. When it comes, it comes hard and fast. So, after The Man Who Killed the King, I decided that now the revolution was up, I was in no mood to continue with the next four novels in the series that dealt with the Napoleonic wars as a background to Brook's adventures....I'm gunna have to go back to those later.

So, fast forward to the ninth adventure, Evil in a Mask. This is one of only three Roger Brook novels that I had read in the past (the others being The Irish Witch and The Launching of Roger Brook) and I hoped that my memory served me well enough in it's recall to suggest that in my early twenties I was fully gripped and engrossed. I must've been. The first few chapters were a bit dodgy...I thought it was back to familiar, history book territory, but once through that, for 95 per cent of the novel, it was the story and the adventure that held it together....and very satisfying it was too. Highly recommended.
on 20 July 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the book
on 7 August 2015
Great series!
on 19 July 2014
Part of a set of 52 Dennis Wheatley collection in red hardcover and gold lettering. The gold fades over time but the books are all enjoyable. i read them all at school and it was nostalgia that made me buy the entire Heron set.