Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 August 2014
I’ll be honest: I didn’t like this album on the first play; but I’d followed the Gaslight Anthem for so many years, that I had to give it a try: and boy, how it grew on me! It’s a complex album, but the layering of the harmonics and instrumentals are sublime. This is a classic album and all credit to GLA for their bravery. I recall that 40 years ago I had the same problem getting into the Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ and that became a classic: this will too! This is an impressive album: buy it and enjoy it!
on 11 August 2014
After listening to the album twice today and reading a number of critic reviews, fan tweets and user reviews Get Hurt is getting a bit of a mixed reception - I don't know why, it's great!! Every critic review picks up on Brian Fallons comment that this is a very different album and then they seem to criticise the album for being exactly that. Is the album that different to their other work? Not really, it's more a change of pace.

I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan and have been listening to their music for years and I must admit on first listen some songs on Get Hurt didn't hit home with me however on second listen I thought they were great. Tomorrow I'll love them even more. It's definitely a grower and that's to be expected when a band puts something out there that's a bit different.

Stay Vicious, 1,000 years, Get Hurt, Rollin and Tumblin, Helter Skeleton and Break Your Heart are standouts. 1,000 years and Underneath The Ground stand out as the tracks that are truly different to their previous work. The others grow on you with each listen, the only dud on the album is ironically called Ain't That a Shame.

I would definitely recommend getting the deluxe version, Sweet Morphine and Mama's Boys carry on the Gaslight Anthem tradition of bonus tracks that could/should have been included on the standard album.

I highly recommend this album, newcomers will probably love it straight away, fans of the band may need to stick with it for a few listens but it'll reward you for doing so.
on 23 August 2014
At some point, a band has to evolve, and the best challenge their fans to come along for the ride. When i had read that Brian Fallon had mentioned Pearl Jam's 'No Code' as an influence on the making of the new album, i figured 'Get Hurt' would be the start of that ride. Instead, the desire to change and yet at the same time not alienate their original fan base leaves The Gaslight Anthem caught between a rock and a hard place. It's by no means a bad album, it's just that everything about 'Get Hurt' sounds familiar, and though the album hints at progression, it never really offers anything new. I'm not about to give up on The Gaslight Anthem just yet, as when it's good, there aren't many better bands around.
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2014
If you're a fan of The Gaslight Anthem like me, this album will no doubt strike you as something different. It may even be disappointing on the first few plays.

The album certainly isn't worth two stars as it's not a bad album, don't get me wrong, it's just not what I expected from The Gaslight Anthem. In a way it sounds new, but on subsequent listens it's all so familiar. Three stars is adequate as it's not worth four. If it was worth four it'd have to have some amazing songs but it just doesn't. As an album though, it's good. There just isn't a stand out signature song/s.

In no particular order; Redhead Violins and Selected Poems could very much have been on the last two albums. Stay Vicious is typical of TGA but somehow more mellow. 1,000 years is typical TGA also with Fallon belting some chorus's. Helter Skeleton jumps right into the action before mellowing out and sounding familiar. Stray Paper is similar. Get Hurt starts off slow but is familiar territory again with Fallon telling us about his lost loves. Rollin' and Tumblin' is on familiar ground with it's TGA like aggression. Underneath The Ground is a slow and easy going song. Ain't That a Shame starts of sounding familiar to some other TGA song, can't pin which one, but otherwise is forgettable. Break Your Heart is another slow going melancholic song. Dark Places again, very familiar. Sweet Morphine is great, both slow and mellow, the sort you can put up loud in a dark room and sip whisky to (just me?). Halloween is somewhat forgettable. Mama's Boys starts out like a Neil Young song before Fallon's voice takes hold reassuring you it's in fact a TGA song, before kicking off into a anthem like song to complement the album's tail end, one of my favourites.

I can't say this album hits the spot for me, but only time will tell whether this grows on me. I think it will. Certainly not a bad album, just not amazing. If I could sum it up I'd say it's familiar and new, all at the same time. Three stars. If you're a Gaslight Anthem fan, you'll appreciate the journey the band is on musically. If you're new to them, I'd say start with The 59 Sound.
on 18 June 2015
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! This band and album are my new love. I saw them live in Brighton dome just recently and their whole set was tight as a ducks ass and they seem like genuinely good guys. My favourite track on the album is 'Selected Poems' - genius lyrics and an overall masterpiece in my eyes**** Get the Deluxe version of the album! ****
on 25 February 2015
The fifth album by US punk/rockers The Gaslight Anthem keeps up the standard set by previous albums. It doesn't change their tried and tested formula of Americana themed rock songs but when they are this good it doesn't need to. Anyone who enjoys rock music with an indie/punk edge will enjoy this album or any other by them. My personal favourite track is the very catchy Ain't That A Shame but they're all good tracks.
on 8 February 2015
I have the complete Gaslight Anthem recordings as I am a big fan of this band. I was really looking forward to this release. Have played this through a few times and It just isn't striking a chord with me like the previous albums. There are a few good songs on here, but there just seems to be lacking the edge of previous turn outs like '59 Sound' & " American Slang". Disappointed!
on 8 May 2015
This is a brilliant return to form, quite possibly a career best, I found the album 'handwritten' a bit souless and a bit bland but they have released a classic right here, full of super songs, great heart and punch and a flawless range of songs. Yes i think this is their best , i love it hey.
on 19 April 2015
I got into the Gaslight Anthem belatedly with the " 59 Sound" Loved it and it became my favourite album during 2013. I bought "Get Hurt" on the strength of the Amazon reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The 59 Sound is very upbeat and "Springsteen Lite" the 59 Sound is very much their own and better for it. It's dark, it's moving it's by far my favourite of all their albums, it's one of those I keep putting back on the shelf so I don't get fed up with it, then I keep going back and putting it on again, it's that good. Just buy it!
on 6 January 2015
I really like the overall feel of this album, listening to it feels like a story and that’s the way albums should be written. Appropriately heartbreaking with just the right amount of punch, this is Gaslight Anthem’s finest work in my opinion.