Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2017
Superb album! If you enjoy listening to The gaslight Anthem then you'll love this! A little more reflective and down beat than the preceding album maybe, but a great one to sit and listen to and enjoy the way Brian Fallon's voice brings the lyrics to life.
on 27 May 2016
Pleased with purchase
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2014
When there’s a deluxe edition, what you want to know is: is it worth the extra tracks? I spent the extra few pounds to get the deluxe version, and my feeling is that it is. None of the three ‘bonus’ tracks has the immediacy or energy of Rollin’ and Tumblin’ or the awesomeness of the slow-burning Get Hurt, but they are on a par with the rest of the album. So I’d say, if you’re already a Gaslight fan, trying to work out which way to go, get the extra tracks. If you’re new to TGA, and think the extra charge is too much, then it is a marginally more complete album, as you’d expect, without the tracks, and you get all the “hits” without the deluxe version.

Overall, I don’t want to give too much of a verdict, as Gaslight Anthem albums almost always grow on me massively, but I’m really enjoying it so far – for me it has the best high-tempo songwriting from TGA since The ’59 Sound, and although the lyrics perhaps aren’t as profound for me as on that album or Handwritten, there are some gems in there, like when Brian growls “I have pills for this, and tabs for that, and something that used to resemble a soul.”

So my suggestion would be get it, and unless you’re really stuck for money, get this version.
on 25 February 2016
Great album from a great underrated band
on 18 September 2014
A bit of a departure from their previous albums, but their are still some great songs.
on 6 November 2014
Fantastic CD
on 26 August 2014
I’ll be honest: I didn’t like this album on the first play; but I’d followed the Gaslight Anthem for so many years, that I had to give it a try: and boy, how it grew on me! It’s a complex album, but the layering of the harmonics and instrumentals are sublime. This is a classic album and all credit to GLA for their bravery. I recall that 40 years ago I had the same problem getting into the Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ and that became a classic: this will too! This is an impressive album: buy it and enjoy it!
on 11 August 2014
After listening to the album twice today and reading a number of critic reviews, fan tweets and user reviews Get Hurt is getting a bit of a mixed reception - I don't know why, it's great!! Every critic review picks up on Brian Fallons comment that this is a very different album and then they seem to criticise the album for being exactly that. Is the album that different to their other work? Not really, it's more a change of pace.

I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan and have been listening to their music for years and I must admit on first listen some songs on Get Hurt didn't hit home with me however on second listen I thought they were great. Tomorrow I'll love them even more. It's definitely a grower and that's to be expected when a band puts something out there that's a bit different.

Stay Vicious, 1,000 years, Get Hurt, Rollin and Tumblin, Helter Skeleton and Break Your Heart are standouts. 1,000 years and Underneath The Ground stand out as the tracks that are truly different to their previous work. The others grow on you with each listen, the only dud on the album is ironically called Ain't That a Shame.

I would definitely recommend getting the deluxe version, Sweet Morphine and Mama's Boys carry on the Gaslight Anthem tradition of bonus tracks that could/should have been included on the standard album.

I highly recommend this album, newcomers will probably love it straight away, fans of the band may need to stick with it for a few listens but it'll reward you for doing so.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2014
Wonderful lp. Brian Fallon's music has changed and evolved during time but The Gaslight Anthem still remains a great band.
on 23 August 2014
At some point, a band has to evolve, and the best challenge their fans to come along for the ride. When i had read that Brian Fallon had mentioned Pearl Jam's 'No Code' as an influence on the making of the new album, i figured 'Get Hurt' would be the start of that ride. Instead, the desire to change and yet at the same time not alienate their original fan base leaves The Gaslight Anthem caught between a rock and a hard place. It's by no means a bad album, it's just that everything about 'Get Hurt' sounds familiar, and though the album hints at progression, it never really offers anything new. I'm not about to give up on The Gaslight Anthem just yet, as when it's good, there aren't many better bands around.