Customer reviews

on 13 April 2015
Love Mira Grant and yet again she hasn't failed. I love how Society hasn't collapsed and everything continues on after a Zombie apocalypse with people still working, services still in place and even schools still open but with all the stringent rules and practices which need to be kept adhered to to ensure people are safe from infection. However as we all know even if it is drilled into a child from birth "kids will be kids" and inevitably one simple broken rule leads to the disaster all parents dread. I won't spoil the ending but it worked really well.
on 8 June 2017
Loved this book. Brilliant story and recommend that you download this. The plot is amazing. I don't want to give away the storyline as I really do recommend you reading this yourself.
on 6 August 2014
Not a bad little zombie novella, really, but I didn't like it much. I find Grant's writing quite workmanlike - competent but dull. I had the same impression after reading "Feed", and could not get past the first few chapters of the second book in that trilogy. I did, on the other hand, quite like "Countdown" and the novella about the sci-fi convention, so thought I'd give this one a shot.

As ever, tension is well-evoked, and the narrative is well-structured and well-paced.

However, the main character is quite unsympathetic - she doesn't seem to care much for the very small children in her charge, and makes some catastrophic decisions with horrible outcomes, about which, again, she doesn't seem to care. Maybe this is supposed to be a complex woman who has been hardened by the world in which she lives, but I just didn't buy it.

I also find the narrative device of interspersing the main story segments with emails between two of Grant's blogger characters from the Feed trilogy ineffective, irritating and not a little smug.

I'm not sure what the point of this endeavour was; nothing is learned, no thoughts are provoked, no emotions stirred. It's just (SPOILERS ALERT!): zombies loose in school, teacher is rubbish, loads of kids die, the end. A pointless diversion unleavened by beauty or wit. I went straight from this to M.R. Carey's The Girl With All The Gifts, and what a contrast there was between Grant's stolid, journeyman effort and Carey's fluid, vivid, intelligent zombie world-building.

I would also highly recommend Hugh Howey's I, Zombie and Alden Bell's The Reapers Are the Angels, for exciting, well-written zombie novels with depth and meaning.
on 27 October 2014
Love these short stories based in the 'Newsflesh' universe. Each one adds more and more to the story, and as a teacher myself this one challenge me to think about how I'd deal with a school based outbreak (probably by being turned into a zombie if I'm honest). There's a whole big thing about who the main character actually is, but then it doesn't really go anywhere which is a shame because it would've been interesting to discuss why she changed from the heroine she is here into what she became (I'm trying to avoid spoiler so sorry for the caginess). Future book maybe? Definitely recommended and does work as a stand alone book, although the reveal will only mean anything to those who've read the series.
on 2 November 2014
Loved this story, have missed the Mira Grant zombie books and this short story was a fix Brilliant brilliant series
on 14 August 2014
Awesome as always. Cheers to the author. Need more from this series universe
on 10 August 2014
A very enjoyable read complimenting the newsflesh books nicely.
on 31 July 2014
Excellent short to go with the feed trilogy.