Format: Kindle Edition|Change

If you once liked John Buchan’s Richard Hannay novels, or a Geoffrey Household work like Rogue Male, the classic 1930s man-on-the-run thriller, and yearned to find a contemporary novel written in that style, then Earthly Powers is for you.
You won’t find insights into the human condition here (you wouldn’t expect to) but you will find the Hitchcockian McGuffin, the reason for the assaults, shootings, imprisonments and the chase, stands up well to inspection.
I award it five stars for so successfully accomplishing what it sets out to do: a story involving an interesting aspect of the past, namely the end of WWII and the flight of certain Nazis from collapsing Berlin, and dangerous shenanigans in an absorbing part of the New World, an island off the coast of British Columbia, Canada. And if you have an interest in the practicalities of survival in the wilderness of the great forests there, then look within.
on 28 September 2015
This was an OK read from an author I hadn’t heard of before (thanks to cheap Kindle books). The majority of the action takes place over a short period time on an isolated Island in British Columbia and is I would say a mix of secret treasure adventure/conspiracy theory thriller with ties to WWII.
It doesn’t anything brilliantly but on the other hand it doesn’t do anything terrible either. It keeps up a good pace and during the manhunt keeps up the suspense and the desire to keep turning the pages (albeit in my case electronically). There was no twist at the end as I had pretty much worked out everything by the time it arrived. It was an easy, enjoyable read, but not an author I would read again as in my opinion there are better author’s out there producing similar stories.