Customer reviews

This part of the fantastic series is written from the perspective of Gabe. What a brilliant character he is. James Cook continues to prove he is one if the best writers on the scene.
on 23 March 2014
I've loved all of James Cook's books in this series, and this one is no exception. His characters are three dimensional and feel real when you read them.

I've read countless books in the zombie sub-genre of horror, and most of them are utterly rubbish. I'd put James at or near the top of a very short list of authors I've read that are good. I include the likes of Mark Tufo, D.J Molles and Rhiannon Frater as examples of books he is on or above par wiht.

In short if you are a fan of zombie fiction then read the rest of this series - starting with No Easy Hope - and then this. The characters are great and the ation is believeable. No characters running around shouting like in so many other zombie books, which in reality would just get you killed on day one. I normally find myself yelling at zombie books when characters are doing something monumentally stupid, and I rarely find that the case with any of Jame's books. Enjoy it, I certainly did.
on 24 August 2014
The Zombie genre is a very crowded place at the moment and if it’s a genre you enjoy James Cooks work should be on your reading list. Mr Cook is developing into one of the best authors in this genre his writing improving both in quality and storytelling with each book. I have enjoyed Mr Cook’s previous works very much and the latest installment is certainly his strongest work to date.

Much like his previous works this is an action packed page turner. There is the occasional bit of sentimental stuff but it’s there for the story and does not get in the way of the action. Unlike the previous novels in this series the story is told mainly from the perspective of Gabe and not Eric. For me Gabe was always the more likable of the pair (I still don’t like Eric) and hence I really enjoyed Gave taking the lead. The story serves to fill in a lot of Gabe’s background and helps to round off his character very nicely whilst progressing the story arch of the series.

If you enjoyed the previous book I doubt this will disappoint. And if you have not checked them out then do yourself a favour and get them. I have high hopes for book 5.
on 3 November 2014
This is effectively a spin off about Gabe. It brings more depth to his character and is a fast paced thriller. The zombies play a slightly bigger role in this book than the last, but are by no means the main theme. In fact, if you are into simple zombie gore-fest literature this may not be the book for you, They are starting to become just another hostile feature of the environment, much like the freezing winter or a pack of wolves.
But that does not detract from this Special Ops thriller.
My only concern, as voiced by some other reviewers, is that Gabe is just a bit too hard to be plausible. Nothing seems to slow him down much. Even beaten, naked, starved and tied up he is a killing machine. No wonder the military want him back in. If you have 10 Gabes, you can rule the world.
on 7 April 2014
Book four in the series and just gets better.

Same characters but slightly different scenarios - this one being around Gabe - just one daft bit - no spoilers but else a real page turner.

One minor annoyance was at 95% I thought I'd got loads more to read but no it was excerpts from two books I wont be bothering with - annoyed me a lot at the time as I thought I'd got tons more to read - oh well.

Enjoy
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2014
Like James Cook's other books in the Surviving the Dead series, this is a "good read", it continues the saga by following one of the main characters and we find out more about his back ground and how it is affecting his present situation. I found it quite absorbing and finished it quite quickly. I will keep and eye open for further books from this author.
on 3 April 2014
Another great read in the Surviving the Dead series proving that James Cook is one of the best writers in this genre. The pace and story lines are brilliant and will keep you on the edge of your seat. I love all the characters and also some of the newer ones that we've now met.

Highly recommend
on 11 June 2014
This has been the worst of the series so far. Unfortunately the main character his so hard that nothing stops him. He is the luckiest survivor in the entire world and things simply fall int place for him. Disappointing really.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2014
So far every one of these books have been fantastic, grabbing your interest immediately and making you want to keep reading . Hopefully there are more stories of Eric and Gabriel to come. Well done James.
on 31 March 2014
James Cook is one of the most proficient writers of the day. The depth of characters he manages to portray is incredible. This series of books has to make it to the big screen.