Format: DVD|Change

on 15 July 2014
I've pre-ordered this, having been impressed by it on TV. I loved the way that it turned my expectations upside down. Instead of being a quiet unpopulated country it turns out that Scotland is seething with people, who cannot stop moving, are always going somewhere, and might start running at the least provocation. I enjoyed the fact that the film made me want to view everything like Picasso, seeing places from all angles and in all time periods simultaneously. I was impressed by the apparent ease with which it presented me with hundreds of stories, all complete, comprehensible and fascinating, although some of them lasted mere seconds, and how the stories needed no explanation beyond the images and the music. At one point there is a poster saying "She wears nothing but a smile", which is highly prescient as this wonderful film is going to make a lot of people smile a very great deal.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2015
It was great when I was finally able to play it. I tried it on several standard DVD players but it wouldn't play - I had to view it on my computer. I wish that fact had been stated in the product information. I loved the old scenes; only wish there was information about them, either on the film or in an attached document. I am familiar with King Creosote's music so it was a nice touch to add to the scenes.
on 12 November 2015
Disc would not play on North American DVD player as requested but did however play on computer
on 31 October 2014
I am frustrated by the UK's lack of interest in preserving the lives of normal people. There are countless stately homes we can visit, museums that celebrate the adventures and collections of the rich.

The normal person does not live this life. The normal person has a childhood, goes to work, meets people, falls in love, faces financial hardship, has children, lives life and dies. There is great beauty in this. We don't need fancy trips and things. We have everything we could possibly want. The is a great documentary of normality.

It is wonderful to see such a moving tale of Scotland, and the real people who helped shape it. Kenny Anderson's music brings these long gone faces to life. It is also a sad reminder of the communities that we have lost. I love the images of the trade unions standing up for all races.

Great
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2014
Superb compilation of Scottish archive film broadcast in Scotland on BBC2 ahead of UK transmission and DVD release. As usual with these compilations it recycles footage from a huge selection of sources, but is very well selected and mixed together and full of references - I'm now on my 4th viewing and still finding stuff. Lots of boats, trains, trams, cars, people making things (ships, stockings, rifles, linoleum, whisky, mint humbugs and whatever else), people enjoying themselves (seaside, holidays, funfairs), people working hard (farming, peat-cutting, fishing, schools), people protesting and so on. No Scottish cliches, a good sense of humour, and lots of insights - for instance how much until the 50s the home was just a place where people only really ate and slept - fun and entertainment were things done outside with your friends in pubs and dances and picnics and stupid beach competitions. Every so often something really poignant gets thrown in (wars, deserted crofts, emigrations) to jolt the mood back - one of the most powerful was a blink-and-miss-it moment in a sequence of kids running round and splashing on beaches on Arran, which cuts to a polio girl with leg braces unable to join in. Soundtrack by King Creosote - his music usually leaves me lukewarm, but this soundtrack is very effective and possibly his best stuff yet.

Very highly recommended for anyone interested in Scotland, and worth watching more than once.
on 13 August 2014
Searching through the television channels, hoping against hope that there would be something worth watching, I tuned into 'From Scotland With Love' just as it was beginning - and I was hooked.

What a wonderful mix of evocative film clips and poignant music from the brilliant Kenny Anderson and in my view one of the best pieces of television for a long time.

Of all the superb music in the film, I think the moving 'Paupers Dough', is the finest. It is accompanied by scenes of hard manual work, republican party meetings, protest and finally riot, working up to a crescendo as does the song with it's 'You've got to rise above the gutter you're inside' repeated over and over again. Perfectly reflecting the grinding labour, poverty and never ending effort to improve working and living conditions of those ordinary people who deserved so much and received so little.

All in all, the perfect social history documentary. No commentary is necessary, the scenes speak for themselves. It is a masterpiece. Virginia Heath and 'King Creosote' can be justly proud of their achievement.
on 9 July 2014
I caught this film when it was broadcast. My dad was visiting and, being a man beyond a certain age, was channel surfing onto some old history programme. But actually this is't just an old history programme. Its about Scotland and its people. First the music grabbed me. King Creosote was an inspired choice for the soundtrack. Secondly the people, I know these folk. Even though they lived at various points over the last hundred years, I know them..(Maybe its just getting older and realising people don't change that much through generations.) Its ordinary folk. No aristocracy, no royalty, no celebrity, just ordinary men, women, kids going about their lives.
Then the places. Yep, been there, done that moments.
It feels grounded, almost literally. I know these folk, I know these places. Its no history duffers show, its something that connects with a sense of identity, and will stay with you for ages.

It might even make you buy some King Creosote.
22 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
A wonderful trawl through the Scottish Film Archive collection from the early to mid 20th century. These are the faces of your mums and dads, aunties, uncles, grannies and grandpas at play, work, on holiday, at war, politically active. The land and cities they inhabit, the factories, fields, shipyards, mines, fishing boats all laid out in a narrative that needs no words save the evocative music of Kenny "King Creosote", Anderson.

In short it's the Scotland we know and love stripped bare of the shortbread tin kitsch a film I wished they'd used at the Commonwealth games opening ceremony instead of the piss poor tat fest they actually inflicted on us.
on 22 August 2014
I have watched this film four times now - first on TV then bought both the DVD and the CD - and I would be astonished if I don't land up watching it another dozen times. The archive film combined with exquisite music conjures up such a gamut of emotions. 'Largs', 'For one night only' and 'Bluebell cockleshell 123' are just bursting with exhilaration and humour, while 'Miserable strangers' and 'Leaf piece' are particularly poignant. If you like the music (how could you not???), go and buy some of the earlier albums. My particular favourites are: Bombshell, KC Rules OK and Rocket DIY
on 17 August 2014
Quite stunning viewing! This was heartwarming, fascinating, beguiling, brilliant, and so, so much more. And the musical score by King Creosote is the cherry on the top! If you are Scottish, buy this! If you are not Scottish, still buy it! This is the best DVD you will watch in a long time!