on 9 December 2014
I was a little sceptical about this camera but having now spent a few weeks with it I love it.

{LONG REVIEW}

I have a lot of big camera equipment (5D3, 5D2, 7D, and pretty much every Canon L-series lens with a focal length of 200mm or less, speedlights, extenders, strobes etc) but that's because photographer is my day to day business.

I used to take at least a full frame 5D and perhaps 24-70 F2.8L with me on holliday along with an entry P&S like an IXUS but I hated the results from the small sensor IXUS and loathed carrying the heavy 5D combo around when trying to enjoy a holiday but I was always afraid I'd miss a great and memorable shot with the family.

Some time in 2011 Fuji released the X10 which ticked a lot of boxes for me, compact(ish), larger than normal sensor and good manual zoom lens with viewfinder. I went on a ski holiday packing only that camera and never looked back. My bulky SLRs were banished from all future holidays. Then I added the APS-C sensor X100S to my travel kit and on a trip to NYC that was the only camera I took and the photographs (aka future memories) are amazing but the X100S is not pocketable, it's small and light and fine for walking around with a small shoulder strap but I still craved a pocketable camera. My X10 was stolen but with the insurance payout I bought the Fuji XF1, even smaller than the X10, same sensor and manual zoom but I never really fell in love with it. Yes the XF1 was tiny and IXUS sized and fits in a jeans front pocket but the lens opening was fiddly, the focussing was hit and miss and the quality was good but obviously not a patch on the X100S images I had become accostomed to.

[I know I'm going on a tangent here but I'm sure a few people considering the RX100M3 will own or had experience with the X10, X100S and XF1 so I'm just setting the scene on what I was after in a camera.]

Roll on Amazon Black Friday and the Sony A5100 with kit lens comes up so I take a punt and buy it. I loved it, APS-C sensor, flash you can bounce off ceilings, wifi, touch screen, flip screen, and so on. I used it for a week at home and around my home city and thought I'd found a winner but it was just a little too big with the kit lens. It would fit in most jacket pockets but not jeans pocket so I decided I'd rather sell it to a friend who wanted one and keep looking.

Then I spoke with somebody who had just bought an RX100M3 and raved about it and they very rarely raved about a camera. I took the plunge and bought one and I'm really glad I did. Ok so the sensor is smaller than the APS-C in the X100S and A5100 but it's still a huge sensor for this size of camera and the lens is phenomenal. F1.8 at the wide end and F2.8 at max zoom, coupled with steady image and dedicated multi-shot night time modes mean I've been able to get some low light shots of the Christmas light switch on that you would struggle to get even with a tripod mounted SLR. The tilting screen I thought would be gimmicky but it really helps get low shots with more accuracy and frame high shots with ease.

It's great to have the EVF built in too. I've been spoilt with the hybrid EFV in the X100S which is still one of thes best systems I've ever used but this little EVF on the RX100M3 is perfect for what I need. It really helps you see what you're shooting in direct sunlight and using a viewfinder generally helps me keep the camera steady too compared to arm extended screen composing.

Size - What can I say, it fits in my front and back jeans pockets, that's all I needed. It's heavy and you know it's there but it fits and it means I can take it with me almost everywhere meaning I don't miss a shot. It's a little slippy in use, there's a small thumb grip on the rear but nothing on the front so I've ordered the offical sony stick on grip for the front to eliminate that minor issue.

Technical - I'm very impressed. The 1" sensor and fast lens combo (24-70 equiv) mean you can get some great sharp shots even in low light, you can get some great shallow DOF shots if that's your cup of tea, you can get some equally great wide landscape shots too. The focusing is fast and accurate, I must admit I don't ever have a need to photograph any fast moving subjects to test out the tracking focus but in every day people, landscape, holiday photography it seems fast and accurate. I grumbled a little that at this price Sony don't give you a stand alone battery charger and you charge the battery via USB but then I realised it's perfect for me as I have a 15000 mah portable USB charger so I can simply take that on holidays and it gives me the added benefit of being able to charge the camera whilst out and about which is something you can't normally do so I always buy spare batteries for my cameras but I'll stick with just the one battery with this.

Movies - you'll have to ask somebody else for a review on this. I don't shoot movies, perhaps a shot 5 second clip on an iPhone 6 which I then never do anything with. Others praise the new video codec in this camera, I believe them that it's good, but no point in me commenting on something I know nothing about.

Surprises - WiFi connectivity. I know this isn't new or specific to the RX100M3 and in fact I had a few days playing with it on the A5100 I had but I love it. I'm used to coming back from a shoot (work or personal), taking out a memory card and downloading from CF or SD cards to my computer into lightroom for editing or straight into iPhoto if it's just general snaps. Sometimes you just want a photo to share on social media or quickly send to a family member and you don't want to have to wait until you get home, download it and then share it. Previously I'd end up taking two shots, one with the X100S and one with my iPhone 6 for instant sharing. Now I just take it with the RX100M3 and can pick and choose which ones to upload to my iPhone (at reduced size or full resolution if I want) for instant sharing/backup. Once upon a time I bought an eyefi card to do this but it was clunky and just didn't work reliably, Sony have a nice fast and streamlined system integrated into this camera which works well and also lets you use your smartphone as a remote trigger, handy for long exposure shots. Built in ND filter - I have this on the X100S and it's great for portrait shots at low aperture in bright sunlight, I forgot the RX100M3 has one too, nice bonus.

Cons - No real deal breaker cons to mention although there are a few things I wish were different. The flash could do with a little more power so I could bounce it off very high ceilings but considering tiliting the flash backwards to bounce it isn't actually listed as a feature I can't complain. Even thought the A5100 touch screen was limited in functionality, I did find tap to focus useful every now and again to quickly focus on a subject that auto-focus kept missing. There is no touch screen on the RX100M3 but I can live with that (until an M4 comes out with touch screen and envy kicks in). The camera powers off when you close the EVF, this is by design but sometimes you just want to get the EVF out the way and carry on shooting.

The low down - my XF1 has been sold and I'm even contemplating selling my X100S and just keeping this as my one and only go to camera for non-work related photography it is that good. If you are tempted by the RX100M3 but it's just a little too pricey then opt for the RX100M2. You won't get the EVF and the lens is a little slower (but longer) and screen doesn't tilt as much but it's substantially cheaper.
11 comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 December 2014
I bought a Mark2 for my daughter for Christmas as she has hankered after one since a holiday last spring when the girl with one of those took the best pictures of all the group of 8 girls, some with far more expensive cameras. When the Mark 2 arrived I played with it and loved it but really felt the lack of a viewer when taking photos outdoors. Luckily my husband heard my worries and surprised me with the Mark 3. Having had the two of them side by side for a few days, I can compare. I had a few problems with the viewfinder as I wear reading glasses so my focal length was off, or so I thought. I felt a little silly when I discovered the focus tog to move along. I have been carrying a big bridge camera arround for years when I go to shows, it needed to be big to get the wide angle. I can fit very nearly as much into the frame on this little beauty. It weighs almost nothing so can live in my handbag all the time. Be aware the pukka case for this camera is £99. There are cheaper lookalike cases arround at about a quarter of that or less, but they don't fit as well (a gap at the top so the whole case is a bit floppy). It is ready to shoot almost as soon as you turn it on, a good thing when a woodpecker arrives in the garden. It takes regular SD cards so makes life simple, though the manual refers to sticks as well but I haven't found where you would insert one. It looks like extra batteries are cheap enough. I have always preferred cameras which take AA batteries as you can buy them anywhere on the planet but the battery which it comes with has a long life and because I can carry charged spares, problem solved. Most of my photography is indoors of textiles. I need to get a shot which includes something up to about nine foot wide but sometimes can only stand close to it. I am happy to say I can get it all in shot. I also take many closeups. The macrofocus is good even when the lens is nearly touching the subject. Not only can I see the individual threads, but also the fibres of those threads. I have a big Samsung smart phone and the Play memories ap is great for getting photos over to it on wifi. I am not so happy with it on the Windows 8 ap to my pc. It now opens the ap whenever I load from any card reader etc so things are not necessarily stored where I want/need them to be. Also the editing software is very basic. Very very basic. I shall uninstall once I get my head round doing that on Windows 8 (three lots of new technology in a couple of weeks is not a good thing). I need to play with the camera more but for the main functions of what I need, it is perfect. I had stopped carrying my big camera arround because of the weight so I am back in the land of photography. And by the way, my daughter is very very happy with her Mark 2. The rose might not be the best photo in the world but it was the first taken with the camera on Christmas Day at about 3.15pm when the light was fading. I am impressed with this as a first shot.
review image
on 26 August 2015
I've had many SLR cameras and a couple of DSLR's including the Canon EOS 5D I still use, but going on trips and holidays, especially abroad, dragging round your kit bag with lenses and other accessories can be a real pain so I bought this little camera to take everywhere with no hassle. Picture quality is excellent, plenty of excellent program features as well as AP, SP and manual, several metering options, fast lens and low EV (EV0) make for good low light photography, panoramic shots are taken with ease, various programs to deal with awkward scenes such as fireworks or low light / night handheld pictures, even a built in 3 level ND filter to cope with harsh lighting scenes. Rendering is great, video has great image quality and vibrant colour. Only downside is the limited optical zoom, however the digital zoom (44x) is surprisingly good up to about 15x which would be more than enough for most people. The pop up electronic view finder is great and extremely useful. There are also a number of useful download apps via Sony's Playmemories Website, I've added multiple exposure and time lapse. Only downside is it's not cheap. A good alternative for less money (still not that cheap) could be the Sony HX90V this has a 30x optical zoom, lower resolution (18 mega pixel) and a few less features but still looks to be a great little camera on paper (haven't tried it). This could be worth a look if you don't want to spend over £500 0n a compact camera.
on 5 September 2014
I love photography and my Canon 5D mk3, 7D, 6D and the Nikon D610...but not enough to take any of those with me everywhere. Heavy DSLR is not something I want take with me to the beach or for a walk with my five years old son. So I decided to get Sony RX100 m3 and wow, for a compact camera it takes absolutely superb pictures! The EVF (elecronic viewfinder) is a fantastic addition and frankly I got this camera because of that. I only shoot using VF on my DSLR so I didn't like using compacts since none had VF...until now. Of course there is more to this little camera then just VF. The IQ is fantastic and lots of customisation going on here as well. I am absolutely amazed with this little gem.
on 21 December 2014
Let's make no mistake, if you are looking for a small, easily pocketable, take everywhere camera, that does just about everything, and does it really well, then the Sony RX100 is the one to go for. No other manufacturer comes close. The image quality is truly superb.

The RX100 are built solidly, easy to use, and can be as simple or complex as you wish. Stick it on full auto and it will produce magnificent images. Start using some of its extra facilities, like the ND filter, zebra, and focus peaking and you can take images that will stand up to scrutiny in a show.

The new viewfinder works very well, seems tiny but there is no shimmering, no lag and has the dioptre adjustment so you can adjust it to your eyesight.

We had the Mark 1 for several months and loved it, but the drawback for us was the lack of a viewfinder. Thats ok for a few snaps now and then but for a days photography it just becomes wearing to compose and a little hit and miss. So we upgraded to this Mark 3 model with the viewfinder, tilting screen and wider angle lens. Its absolutely brilliant, with one glitch, the lens closure blades keep sticking, so if they dont free up we will have to return it for a replacement.

The thing you should ask yourself is do you want/need the Mark 1 or Mark 3. At the time of writing this the M1 is a bit over £300 and the M3 a bit over £600, effectively double in price, yet ostensibly the same camera. Ignore the M2 as it is a waste of time, more expensive than the M1 and has a flippy screen (nice) and a hot shoe which you will never use.
My advice is if you want a terrific point and shoot camera you can even fit into a jeans pocket go for the M1, at just over £300 its one of the few bargains in the camera world.
If you really do want/need the viewfinder then go for the M3, the flippy screen and wider angle lens on the M3 are bonuses, its the viewfinder you are paying for really. Is that worth an extra £300? For us it is, but I urge you to think seriously about it.

I like Sony cameras. They do have their quirks, but they are leading the way. I use a Sony RX10 and a Leica, yet if I only had the RX100 M3, I wouldnt be inhibited really, in fact it often goes through my mind to sell the others and just use the RX100.

The Sony RX100 is a 5 star product but I have no choice than to reduce it a star due to the sticking lens cover blades.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 31 March 2015
I've never been a fan of the big and bulky DLSR, and as a result have a Sony A6000 with a selection of lenses which covers my "proper" photography needs. As small as the A6000 is however, it's not pocketable, even with the Pancake lens. I craved for something that could deliver similar quality to a DSLR/A6000 but something that is truly pocketable. The RX100 III meets to requirement perfectly. I have been watching the price, and was all over it when it reached the £550 mark. This may seem alot of money for a point and shoot, but this isn't a point and shoot in performance terms, it's a grown up camera (with a fixed lense, admittedly) in a point and shoot body. The picture quality from the camera is simply stunning. You won't find anything that currently even comes remotely close to it, not in a compact form.

Build quality is also very impressive, but then it should be at this price. Feature-wise, it's all here, Wifi, NFC, Built in ND filter, electronic lens cap, all the modes you can possibly ever want, including 2 memories. If you have an A6000/A5100/A7x then the menu system will be instantly familiar to you, all very intuitive. The battery life is very good, the battery can charge "in-camera", so no lugging around anything other than a MicroUSB lead and somewhere to plug it in (wallwart, USB cigarette socket charger etc).

One of the really nice features, is the XAVCS video mode, this is very high bitrate, high quality video mode, that is also capable of high framerates. The RX100M3 supports 100FPS (PAL) and 120FPS (NTSC), in other words 4x the regular framerate, the reason you would want to do this, is to slow the video down for "slo-mo" arty video. It's really important to get the right SD card if you plan on using this feature. It NEEDS to be 64GB or greater, and class 10. Even then, I hear it's a little hit and miss what works and what doesn't. I can say for sure that Transcend 64GB Ultimate SDXC works, so if you are in any doubt, I would recommend this one.

Something else of note, I, like many have never been a fan of Sony software (it's what usually lets down their products), Thankfully you can totally ignore their PlayMemories desktop software, the camera is perfectly usable without it. Better still, I think Sony are recognising this as they have any arrangement with Capture One to produce a free Sony specific version of their rather expensive (and Lightroom beating) workflow software. For Sony owners, this is a free download of the very well featured standard version, with an upgrade to the fully featured Pro version for 20Euros (usually is is over 300 Euros for the version that supports all camera models). This is definitely worth checking out. Many comparisons with Lightroom show that CaptureOne has a far better RAW processor.

As mentioned, the camera has Wifi, and transferring the displayed image t your phone, is as simple as tapping the NFC logo with the NFC point on your phone (if you have an Android NFC phone, if you don't, or have an iPhone) then you have setup wifi pairing, but it's more time consuming), if you tap your phone/tablet during live shooting (rather than playback), then it launches and connects the SmartRemote app on the camera, and PlayMemories on your device. You can control zoom, touch to focus, aperture, shutter, ISO and exposure comp. It worked flawlessly on my Google Nexus 5 (Android 5.1) and my Sony Xperia Tablet Z3 (Android 5.02)

I was also very impressed with the on-board, automatic ND filter, really opening up the capabilities of some great creative long exposure pictures. I didn't notice any IQ impact using this feature, so very pleased.

This is one of the very few products I have ever reviewed where I have struggled to find ANYTHING negative to say about it. if I had to pick a negative, it would be lack of printed manuals (but then that's environmentally good, so even that's not really a negative), and I guess the price, but it's down from the dizzy heights of £700 to the more manageable £550 now.

This really is a superbly engineered product, that you can take anywhere and it will deliver time and time again.

If you are wondering if a point and shoot could ever be worth five hundred quid, take a look at the selection of RX100 pictures on FLICKR

Yes, this camera isn't cheap, but then the best things in life aren't cheap.
on 26 August 2014
Had this camera for a couple of months now having run a NEX 5N and a A700 before that. As you can see, I am downsizing each time, but from a quality point of view, it just gets better and better. The M3 is an amazing camera and to my mind, worth every penny. The quality of the stills is brilliant and the video is so far ahead of the NEX5N, it is hard to compare. Of course there are niggles, but the thing I have been most impressed by is how sturdy it is. I have dropped it twice on hard surfaces and it's performance has not been affected at all.
So the upsides:
Size - it is just small enough to fit in a back pocket but I tend to carry it around in a small Lowepro case that clips on the belt.
Controls - there are enough controls to be able to do most things without going into menus. And whilst the controls are a bit fiddly, they are perfectly usable.
Exposure - down to f1.8 is pretty amazing but even 2.8 at full zoom is excellent. And the filter that allows those to be used in bright light is also great.
Flash - an excellent addition to the 5N that is extremely effective although hardly needed.
Eyepiece - although I bought the camera primarily because of this feature, I don't use it that much. But when I do, it is invaluable.
Screen hinge - the 180 degree flip up that allows you to see the selfie you are taking makes them a doddle.
Zoom - although 24-70mm isn't a great range, the quality of the output makes large-scale cropping quite feasible, so I find the range is ideal.
Picture quality - I thought the 5N was good, but this is even better. Excellent colours, extremely sharp and good contrast.
Video quality - I have no idea how much better 4k would be, but what impresses me most with this is the image stabilisation which makes the videos seem very high quality to me.
Robust - the size of the camera took a bit of getting used to and I have dropped it a couple of time onto concrete and slabs. Despite a real sharp blow, there appears to be no effect and everything continues to work perfectly.
Low light - I have taken some excellent quality pictures at ISO3200 and combined with the f1.8, the flash almost becomes redundant.

The downsides:
Size - whilst great for portability, it did take some getting used to and I just found the camera slipping from my hands sometimes. I have got used to it now, but you have to be more careful that with something bulky.
Controls - whilst loads better that the 5N, there are still many functions that need the on-screen menu.
Wifi - still haven't got that to work and have given up.
Stills whilst videoing - haven't got this to work either.

All in all, I love it.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: Camera only|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
(UPDATED DECEMBER 2014)
So I finally got my hands on the Sony RX100 M3 permanently. Have I changed my mind about it being the BEST camera of 2014? Read on and I'll tell you.

If you're not going to read the full review this is an enthusiast's camera which has a very high spec. The sensor captures detail that you would normally only dream of. Even in low light.

RX100 M3
========
RX100 M3 is a 20 meg light camera that can fit in the palm of your hand. It's perfect for those moments when you want to capture something quick and unobtrusively. When you have a huge kit: people notice. This beauty is so small that it could be used by spies. (ok, maybe not that small, but you get the point.)
It is the most capable compact camera of this year. Actually it's the most capable camera that I've ever seen.
The older RX100 was good, if not perfect. But this has those added elements that make it better. The RX100 M3 has a built-in viewfinder that pops up and with it, the camera turns on. Pop it down and it's off.

LOOKS
=====
Small, and perfectly formed. There are no retro looks here. It could be argued, perhaps, that the RX100 looks 'too' small. I don't think it is to be fair. I think it's a bit like a tardis. I'm amazed at what they can place into such a tiny gem. The lens, sensor, viewfinder all crammed into a super, small seductress.

CHARGE
======
It charges with USB. I used to think that was a minus. However it's possible to charge it on the go with a portable charger. a powerbank (or cigarette lighter)
If need be, you can always get a spare battery or two and separate charger.

ISO
===
ISO can be as low as 80.

INTERFACE
=========
On the odd camera I've used the software is a weak point. It's like it's been designed in 1982 on a zx81.
This is intuitive.
It has three custom profiles allowing you to set the quality, iso, etc.
It does have lots of options. Sometimes, maybe, too many options?
But it's probably best to have too many options rather than too few.

FACE DETECTION
==============
Even in low light this was superb and faultless.

LARGE SENSOR
============
A good lens and a large sensor means that superb results are ALMOST guaranteed. A simple scan on Flickr of the photographs taken with this beauty really will take your breath away. We were away in Lyon for the Festival of Lights. I must have taken hundreds of photographs. Dark scenes, early morning etc. Each one was amazing.

QUICK
=====
CLICK, click, click. No lag. I was impressed. It's easy to simply have it in your pocket and it's instantly on with the click of the viewfinder.

VIDEO
=====
I know you'll be buying it for photography but the video is superb. Detailed and in the "very good camcorder category". The quality is of the level that you could make films with it. The only downside if this is your primary objective id there is no separate mic support.

BATTERY
=======
I got about 700 pics. Not bad.

IMAGES
======
They are vivid. They are clear. There's little noise and the colour reproduction is amazing. It won't disappoint.

CONS
====
Zoom could be a little quicker.
I don't think it would survive a drop on the floor.
Some have complained that when pushing the viewfinder back, this turns it off. I like that as a feature.

RECOMMENDED
===========
The RX100 M2 was a superb camera and this gem has improved on that.
In terms of the size, the quality of the photos and ease of use I can see a lot of people ditching their full camera kit in favour of this.
If you are after a small, beautiful, perfect camera then look no further.

I LOVE IT!
on 6 June 2016
I purchased this camera via Amazon Marketplace a few days before travelling abroad. After reading numerous reviews about this camera I took the chance. I wanted to travel light and decided with hesitation to leave my DSLR behind in favour of the RX100 iii. Was I surprised, this camera is amazing, it's true when they say best things come in small packages. The picture quality from the 1" sensor is amazing along with the sharp and bright Zeiss lens. This tiny package manages to pack in a fantastic pop up electronic viewfinder. The flash is also pop up and with your finger it can be pushed upwards to provide a good flash bounce. There are numerous settings and options available, the option to download apps from Sony play memories and includes Wifi and NFC. There is a useful rotating ring around the lens which can use customised for using as a zoom,aperture amongst other functions. The battery life is pretty good considering what this camera can do. The video quality is excellent,and if you have a 64GB sdxc memory card with uhs1 then you can record in xavc at a ridiculous 50mb/s bit rate at 1080p. The screen can tilt all the way up to 180 degrees for those selfies. Only downside for some will be that the battery is charged via the camera, unless you want to buy an external charger. Phew, thats it I think...
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2015
Everything that has been said in the professional reviews of the RX100M3 seems to be true; it's a great camera, but there are a few real practicalities that need to be considered before purchasing (see below).

The bottom line is, if you are a technically proficient amateur photographer then this is a great, almost pocket sized camera and is highly recommended. However if you want a true pocket able point and shoot camera and want to get into photography then look at something like the Canon S120 that can produce great shots and is much cheaper and truly pocket sized.

Considerations
It isn't a true pocket camera. It's footprint is fine but it is much deeper and a bit heavier than other cameras and it doesn't fit easily into a pocket or small bag. If you are a keen photographer then you will make allowances but some may find it, ‘inconvenient’.
It is too complex if you just want a point a shoot camera. I am an amateur photographer and understand most controls on a complex DSLR camera, but this has even more settings. There are even three auto modes you need to know about to use it correctly as a point and shoot camera. It doesn't help that the full manual is not very good at explaining the concepts behind the large number of features.
You need to splash out on some essential extras. I think a camera of this quality needs the a fast and specialist photographer’s SD card, an extra battery, a mains battery charger (not supplied), protective case and a screen protector. All of this will add an extra £100 or so to the cost.
You may need to upgrade your image processing software. I had to purchase a new version of ACDSEE (I use it for image management) to view raw files, and I had to install a free updated camera raw for Photoshop 12; earlier versions of Photoshop will have to be updated. This may cost you more money.