on 10 November 2015
If this book was made into a film and you watched it you wouldn't believe it. It is just amazing that a young cyclist from an African village could the leader of top professional team.I enjoyed the whole book right from his childhood in Africa to winning the Tour de France.
The high points were his entering the under 23 World championships from Kenya as the sole manager/mechanic/cyclist, his dedication in training, finishing the TDF in 2008 despite being part of a poor Barloworld team and most of all his relationship with Bradley Wiggins.
In-team rivalries are horribly fascinating whether it was Bartali/Coppi, Hinault/Le Monde, Armstrong/Contador or Froome/Wiggins. The Sky team do not make many mistakes but one was the team not supporting the in form and race leader Froome in the Vuelta in 2011. Instead Froome was ordered to ride for Wiggins and could only finish second with Wiggins third.
Some questions remain,why was Wiggins not selected for the 2014/5 TDFs.
Froome always comes across as a gentlemen and this book is in that frame, I couldn't put it down.
on 25 August 2017
I'm not a huge cycling fan and don't usually like autobiographies. I'm also an editor and am therefore very fussy about what I read as I often think books have been over- or under-edited.
I chose to read this because in the snapshots I'd seen and read of Chris Froome in the media, he didn't seem like the typical sportsperson. I wanted to find out why, and The Climb explains. It is a very well written and often fascinating and funny account of an unconventional route into professional sport.
The key theme for me was that despite his very obvious passion for success, Froome is a lovely guy. Not to say that there are no nice guys in sport, but you get the impression that Froome is as much concerned about being a decent human being as he is about being a Grand Tour winner. In The Climb, he writes about how pleased he was to find that a soigneur had named his newborn son after him because of his character rather than because of his achievements on the bike.
But Froome is more than just a nice guy who rides a bike. Anyone who has ever considered him to be boring should read this book. Quiet and introverted is not the same as boring. And because he is quiet and introverted, reading this is probably the only way to learn about the man behind the jersey.
I hope there will be a comprehensive update to this autobiography at the end of Froome's professional cycling career as this ends at his first TdF victory, so plenty more to be written already!
This is one autobiography that will stand the test of time.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2017
Loving this book. I am not usually an autobiography fan but I like Froome. This is well written going back chronologically to his childhood through to 2015. You really get a sense of what made him tick. Suitable for teenagers interested in cycling too.
Some of the stories of an expat living in Africa are great too. Well worth a read.
on 14 September 2017
Great book, such an interesting upbringing in Kenya and South Africa. Really insiteful to read how hard CF had to work to get into Europe. Some interesting episodes about their support car going site seeing in Egypt and leaving the team in the dessert without water/ food and again later in competitions!! Would recommend to any CF supporters.
on 18 August 2015
I must confess I am not a great fan of autobiography/biographies of people younger than me (lots more than there used to be it has to be said!).
However this is different. Chris Froome has a lot to tell of his 30 or so years, so far. It is a great story of triumph against the odds.
A boy who grows up in Africa and becomes the winner of Tour de France; its almost a fantasy story. Chris Froome and his co-writer pen the narrative in an easy to read style that keeps you turning the page.
Its a very inspiring tale and well worth reading.
on 27 September 2015
Love cycling and
Especially the tour de france thanks to Chris Boardman. I watched the tour in 2012 and wanted to know how Bradley Wiggins won and why Chris Froome takes the pressure of the tour and then has no credit from the winner. This book for me was brilliant and also bitterly honest about his struggles and illnesses a less person would of give you. Great read and you will end up if you don't already hero worship Riche Porte and the other sky team members of the tour. Enjoy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
There are many autobiographies, there are many autobiographies about sports stars and I must say up front I havnt felt inspired to ready many , in fact this is my first one. However I don't think that puts me at a disadvantage. The climb is a really great book, and not I think just because you may or may not be into cycling. Even if your not you would have to be pretty detached from the world not to appreciate what it means to hold on tight to a dream . From child hood to finally making it to a professional cyclist with arguable the best team in the cycling world , Chris froome conveys what its like to experience the dedication commitment and shear determination it takes to succeed. Full of humor and honesty , you really start to understand the world of the professional cyclist. Cant recommend this book highly enough.
on 3 November 2015
I'm a fairly new fan of road racing and was interested to find out a bit about Chris Froome who, when compared to Bradley Wiggins,seems a bit colourless. In interviews Chris is always quietly spoken and polite but you don't get to be a two time winner of the Tour de France without having massive talent and drive. This book gives a fascinating insight into what made him into the man he is - his childhood in Kenya, his struggles to get a contract with a professional racing team, suffering illness, and his eventual triumph at the Tour. I finished the book with a huge amount of respect for both Chris and road racers in general and liking Froome doesn't mean that you can't like Wiggins as well !! . I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to know what makes Chris Froome a winner in this hard sport
on 22 January 2016
When I started this book I liked Chris Froome. He comes across as a very polite and considerate person in interviews and he's a phenomenal cyclist. I expected to be giving his book 5 stars but I can't. I was disappointed that the book was written in co-operation with David Walsh. If it had said this on the cover I would've been less inclined to read it. Nothing against Mr Walsh, I just prefer books about a particular person to have been written by that person.

Once I'd got over that, I really enjoyed the first half, hearing about his childhood and growing up in Africa. From the end of 2011 onwards the story lost my interest. As another reviewer said, the contract negotiations with Sky and non-relationship with Wiggo really spoilt it for me. It's rare that I give up on a book, so I read to the end, but I have to say that in doing so I lost some of my respect for Chris Froome. I wish him luck for the future but I'm less of a fan than I was at the start.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 August 2016
I purchased this book after watching my 4th Tour de France and watching Froomey's 3rd win. I couldn't put it down. A wonderful story of Chris's life and great insight into the world of pro cycling. It brought back and explained instances watched in the Tours, I feel much more informed, thank you Chris Froome for all you shared. I will watch you with fondness and great interest.