on 31 July 2014
Disappoints as it goes along. What a let down.
Wasted words and wasted plot in some cases. However, I loved the beginning the Hall saving the day etc. Loved the boys but felt they were a bit neglected, when involved in dialogue or plot they were swiftly dispatched - to set a table or clear the table or some such chore. I became heartily sick of people making cups of tea, putting the kettle on, making coffee - good way of using up words, I include the information about roses in this comment! WHY? I expected their surname to be Rose.
The time lapses were too long. Not enough time spent on major incidents, e.g. mum & dad's problem, brother & dad's sneaky double dealings especially regarding share dividends! And Stephen. Ivy' s party was over before it began! WHY did Molly fall down stairs??
All in all it was half a book with author's notes attached. Very "bitty" and quite lazy!
I'm being very generous awarding 3 stars, this book only deserves 1.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! NEVER thought I'd ever say that about a Gil McNeil book!
One person found this helpful
on 2 July 2014
This book was delivered to me yesterday,and by bedtime I had read it. A story of every day life, but so interesting and amusing. The author has a great understanding of children and the joys and difficulties of being a mother
The main character is a single mother, newly divorced with three children, don't let that put you off, the story is engaging, the people mostly likeable, and it leaves you feeling good. Recommended whether or not you like children, out Will make you smile!
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 February 2015
I was highly disappointed by this book. It sounded like a great concept, but unlike very similar books to this one, this story just didn't seem to go anywhere.

I found it very hard to connect emotionally with the characters, and although I liked them, I found I just didn't care what happened to them.

The story moves along at a sedate pace, and I found it only really interesting in the last 10%, which isn't really enough for me.

Such as shame as I have read previous books by Gil McNeil and had been looking forward to this one.
on 18 February 2018
Lovely cosy book, but pretty identical to all her other books. I do enjoy reading them despite the sameness of the main characters.
on 25 July 2014
I really enjoyed this novel - a super summer read. I'm a big fan of the author but have to admit this echoed her other novels in terms of both style and content. Once again we have a single mother of boys, inheriting a life changing business by the sea with a rich and generous single friend. The main character speech pattern and vocabulary matched that of previous lead characters in her other books.

That being said, you know what you're getting and, if you like this, it's a great (but not highly original) read.
One person found this helpful
on 2 May 2017
Gentle, warm and human with glorious characters, this is a sort of fairy tale for grown ups. I loved it.
on 30 August 2014
I was looking for a new book, I have read all my favorite authors new releases, when I came across this book and I was so pleased I did. I enjoyed the story line very much, the characters we likable, the reference to roses and the names and variety description very interesting (you do not need to be the next budding Chelsea Flower Show entrant to enjoy this book!!). If you want a good read this is the book for you.
on 6 August 2014
Loved this book. Laughed out loud quite a bit... down to earth, funny and honest.
A lovely story about a downtrodden woman making a new life for herself and her 3 boys after her husband leaves her for a younger woman. She not only finds a better life and home but changes a few other people's lives too. Can't wait to read more by this author.
on 1 December 2015
An ok story, with the same features as her other stories; lone parent, snooty playground mother, supportive friends, unexpected lover, etc. A pleasant read, but not page-turning.
on 12 August 2014
Enjoyed this book found it very hard to put down,laughed out loud several times, enjoyed the information about roses at the beginning of each chapter