Colour: Silver|Style Name: Coffee Machine Only|Change
Price:£1,435.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 17 December 2016
I had read only good things about the Breville Oracle (it's called Sage in the UK) and as I was getting good results with my Stand-alone Sage Grinder and De Longhi Espresso machine,I really expected this to be incredible. It cost x 4 times the cost of that grinder and espresso machine, so is the coffee x4 better? No, it isn't, so don't expect too much and you will be fine.
I've used this for 3 months now and there is much I like about it:
1. It looks really nice, is well constructed and I don't find the plate flimsy like many others here have mentioned ( see photos of the machine and plate, after ten months of use, below) There are some scuff marks, but , that is only to be expected
2. The Auto tamp is great, however,I was getting really consistent tamps with a calibrated tamper from Espro, so its no big deal.
3. The Auto grind and dosing is very convenient, but uses too much coffee
4. The Water level indicator and the LCD information display that tells you when the tank is empty is just fantastic
5. The hidden wheels and supply box : design is A+
6. Dual Boiler with PID for consistent temperature and simultaneous espresso and steam for lattes
7. Integrated grinder saves space, and the coffee storage is enough for one 250g pack. This will last 4-5 days at the most, with two uses per day,as this just eats beans, so you don't have to worry about heat and losing bean freshness Update; May 2017: The single basket provided by Sage (free) , solved the bean consumption problem and that's why I award the Oracle 5 stars now)

But, tell me, how is the &&**%^ coffee?!
Well, that depends on the beans, with fresh roast beans, the espresso is excellent. Much better than Starbucks and Costas, and good espresso translates to great cappuccinos and lattes. It's a lot like a computer: Garbage in Garbage out
The crema is only 1-2mm, I tried really fresh beans too, but the crema thickness isn't as good as you get in nespresso machines, however the taste of the coffee is really good, if you use fresh beans
Even if you use old packaged beans, I find the espresso substandard, but the cappuccinos and lattes still taste great- better than the large coffee chains, as the milk and sugar mask the inferior coffee
You only have to make adjustments on the grind size, as the tamp and the temperature are all adjusted just right. I find myself using 28-32 grind size these days with really good milk based coffees
The dual boilers are great to have, but I never minded waiting a bit with single boilers

Now, to the downsides:
1. The coffee dosing is too much: 22 g of coffee each time means you finish a 250g bag in 11-12 extractions, thats 3-4 days for us! Maybe 5-6 days ,without guests.
2. You always have to use 22g, even if you select a single cup, it still grinds 22 g, so if you don't use it as two shots, you are wasting even more coffee, (Update: with the single basket from Sage (sent free) this is largely ameliorated and I have no complaints)
3. The auto steam wand and auto purge are really convenient, but you can't make decent latte art with it. I tried. Manual doesn't work also
My cheap 120 quid Delonghi, with its under powered thermoblock (not even a single boiler here) gave me better "art", so if you want to make latte art, steer clear. I guess its because of the high tech design, thick stubby want with an in built thermometer and all, but it is great for plain cappuccinos, not for art.
granted, I know the knob can switch from latte to cappuccino, but it doesn't create the right velvet microfoam I need for art
4. It costs a lot, but then it does a lot:
Now in the coffee world,cost is a very relative term. You can spend a 1000$ on a grinder very easily. So when you look at what you are getting, great design, dual boilers, PID, Auto tamp, Auto purge, built in grinder, it isn't all that overpriced.
What I mean is , you can get similar results for a lot less, if you are willing to learn a little.Here you are paying for the integration, the technology , the convenience and the quality of the finish.

Bottom-line:

If you want to make latte art and save money on the machine and also on beans: go for a Barista express or another grinder -machine combo instead.

If you want convenience and great coffee, if money is no object, and you don't mind using 22 g of beans per session (one button press), then by all means, this is great!
Update: 6 months of use; I love the machine, the coffee is really good and the convenience is fantastic. The plate is holding up with mild scuff marks( see photos below) and Sage sent me a single basket , gratis, that has reduced the excessive dosing per cup. I have upgraded my rating to five stars.
review image review image review image
33 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2017
I'm extremely happy with the machine. Looks great and works great - I'm sure Jonathan Ive has one.

My coffee is now just as good (if not better) as the one I used to get from my local caffe (supposed to be 'best in London'). Just make sure you do what they ask for and you will be fine with default settings. Just get your coffee fresh (< 2 weeks after roasting) and use cold milk in a cold jug. It's not hard at all. I'm sure as I get better at tinkering with various settings my coffee will be even better!
on 17 December 2015
So far has been absolutely spot on. Perfect coffee every time. But you absolutely have to use freshly roasted beans! Maintenance has been minimal so far, and coffee consistency has been good, but the real test is how well these machines work a few years down the line of course...
on 6 April 2017
Fantastic coffee machine. Takes a bit of fiddling if you change beans to get it right but very impressed. The best part is consistency. Latte art is a little tricky to get the hang of, and I'm no expert, but getting better
on 16 June 2017
Holy Moly it is expensive, and it is very difficult to say 'it is worth one and a half grand'. However, if you completely ignore price, it's AWESOME! I bought this after my Barrista Express broke for the third time. I have yet to utilise the white glove service but will update this review when I have.
on 28 November 2016
Finally Fastatic coffee every time. Very technical machine, but makes everything so easy and so clean
on 29 January 2016
I purchased this item a couple of weeks ago. I was admittedly intimidated that it would be too complicated and/or be mostly manually operated. But I was wrong. The machine was a breeze to set up and is almost fully automatic. About the only steps you have to do yourself aside from pushing the button is to move the portafilter from the left side of the machine to the center after it is automatically filled. The milk frother/steamer produces really silky small bubbles without having to move the jug around while steaming. The unit injects the appropriate amount of air and heats to the temperature of your choosing. All of the other automatic machines I looked at always produces big bubbles lacking texture. This is really a key differentiator for me. The only other step you have to do is pour the milk & foam into your coffee mug.

The machine heats up quickly and is very easy to clean (self-cleaning frother). I keep a small towel and use the hot water dispenser to mosten it so I can wipe the frother wand after finishing. This machine does all the work for you, and looks brilliant on your kitchen counter. Pricey? Yes. But you won't be disappointed. Search around for the various videos on using the Oracle (sold under the brand Breville in the United States).
on 3 December 2014
I have had the Oracle for two weeks now and I can say that it is a great coffee machine. If you buy one take advantage of the free "White glove" sevice, the man comes to your home to set up and demonstrate the Oracal's capabilities. However, I can only give the Oracle 4 stars as the metal finnish is very thin and soft, easily scratched and dented, so unless you treat it with kid gloves it could look a bit tatty in a few months. A machine at this cost should, in my opinion, be able to take a knock from a mug without marking the work area.
on 30 December 2016
What can be said about a coffee machine that costs as much as a small car! It does what it is supposed to do with some aplomb. That said it makes coffee making an art and hobby not just making a drink, it puts love into the process. All the setting controls and choosing artisan coffee is very satisfying.
on 9 April 2016
My coffee experience started in my late 30's. I started with instant which quickly became mundane, moved quickly on to a pod machine, and again didn't really satisfy me. The pod coffee mostly tasted watery and the powdered milk bland and artificially sweet. After many months of looking I decided on a bean-to-cup machine and De'longhi seemed to have the most choice of machines. De'longhi Magnifica Esam 4200 (Amazon best seller) was the machine I settled on and to be honest I wasn't disappointed. I thoroughly used the machine every day for over 2 years and 9 times out of 10 It produced a decent cup of coffee. In fact my only criticism was the coffee was never hot enough and 10s In the microwave was the only solution. All in all a decent bean to cup machine with few drawbacks!

My enthusiasm for a more Costa/Starbucks coffee and the need to tailor the coffee to my taste continued. As I said the De'longhi made a good cup, but never a great cup. Back to the drawing board I went.

After a couple of months searching for the holy grail of machines I stumbled upon The Oracle. It seemed to have the wow factor with plenty of on-line videos and reviews to support this fact. It arrived on Wednesday and 3 days later I am extremely happy and confident I made the right choice. This machine produces the most delicious hot coffee. It has the wow factor, not only In the coffee It produces, but also In the way It looks. I am enjoying every aspect of this machine and creating some tasty drinks. It's encouraging me to try all types of coffees, as this machine can produce them with ease. I have the white glove service booked as there may be additional features that can be shown to me, and why not? Its part of the experience!

If this machine is within your budget and you want quality coffee shop drinks, do not hesitate, It's fantastic!

I will update this review in a couple of weeks following the white glove visit.

Update!

Following the white gloves visit, I can truly say the coffee machine is still absolutely fantastic.

The man arrived and after a brief chat he set-up the machine to its optimal settings. He adjusted the grinder, explained how to get the best from the machine and went into detail regarding descaling and general maintenance. He even gave me a free bag of coffee!

The machine gets used even day and I believe its the best purchase I've made this year. Truly excellent coffee and probably the best home coffee maker on the market.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse