on 13 December 2014
Love both books can't wait for next instalment could not put it down and when I did ran audiobook excellent
on 4 June 2014
Found this book to be really enjoyable and interesting how the author isn't afraid to get rid of certain characters. It's not as bad as Game of Thrones though which is quite good on the other hand.

I guess the only slight flaw is the main characters are all able to figure out things fairly quickly which just seems slightly surreal but that is only a minor issue I noticed.

I am really excited to see that Caldan is starting to come in on his own and I think Book Three should see him really grow in strength and knowledge.
on 18 August 2016
I’m enjoying this series. There, I said it. It seems however that some others simply aren’t so why is this series causing such a wide spread of reactions?

Firstly, I do think it has a lot going for it. The plot is building nicely in terms of the conflict. The world and the factions within it are intriguing and some of the character development is I think, pretty good. I have particularly enjoyed the slow reveal of the deliciously twisted Amaden over the first two books. The description and use of magic in the books is very well done. A mix of the pseudo-scientific and the bright-eyed wonder of spectacular and at times subtle sorcery. The use of that sorcery in the action scenes is very impressive with no little ingenuity. The whole thing is very, very well performed by Oliver Wyman with an impressive and consistent range of character voices.

So, what’s not to like? Well, it’s not the fastest paced book you will ever read. There is a fair amount of repetitive soul-searching and if Oliver Wyman has a weakness it’s in the narrative away from the dialogue. The lead character Caldan is a baffling mix of instinctively intuitive sorcerer, master tactician and frankly complete pillock. This seems to be at the root of many of the complaints and it’s a fair charge though I don’t think brilliant intelligence and a lack of basic human understanding is that rare a combination.

So, one that clearly splits opinion, and with good reasons. For me the story, the sorcery and Amaden will definitely draw me into following this to its conclusion in what I believe is the third and final book. If you liked the first one you’ll likely enjoy this too. If you were troubled by the first one the chances are that you’ll see the same flaws in this one.
on 1 July 2014
There is no doubt that the author has learnt from his first book, the writing is slightly crisper, someone else has actually edited the book prior to release and some of the interchanges are less childish.

But I still had so many frustrations with the book. The interplay between characters has only just managed to move into teenager territory, it is so frustrating where set in a supposedly dangerous environment everyone acts and thinks like a teenager, all angst with perceived wrongs rather than adults. Repetition is non stop, the amount of times I had to read about someone suppressing their instincts to kill or the main antagonist being treated like an imbecile, it was beyond awful. The first 30% or so has some of the most boring drivel I have managed to read in awhile.

But yet again the saving grace was the story, it is interesting, it is different to a degree, it draws you in and ultimately you cannot help but continue to read the book until the end.
on 4 June 2016
I very much like the premise and moral complexity of this series. There's a lot there, and it has a lot of potential. This series could be genuinely great.

It's unfortunate, then, that the author spends an inordinate amount of time on repetitive monologues and overly earnest conversations. Seriously. No one spends as much time in over-earnest conversation in real life as 90% of the characters in this series do. No one. It doesn't help that the vast majority of the time they add nothing to the plot, and nothing to the characters' motivations that you could not already have interpreted from their actions, or from a dialogue which took up 10% as much text.

At times it's genuinely excruciating. I continue reading because, as mentioned, there's a strong premise there. But honestly I came very close to putting this book down permanently more than once.

If buying these books I strongly advise getting the text, rather than the audiobook, so you can skip over these sections. I bought the audiobook of this second installment without thinking over the dire consequences of having to listen to the entirety of them...a genuinely painful experience.
on 13 March 2015
I really like this series, it is an interesting story and one I will continue to read with the next book. However there is a downside to it. Like mentioned in other reviews, some of the characters are frustratingly naive and do not have fully developed adult thinking. This makes me wonder times who the books are aimed at, adults or younger teenage readers. This can take the edge of things at times, but just when I am getting a little worn with this the author pulls it back together again and I forgive him. There is also in the second book a lot of repetitiveness around certain moral and ethical issues that the main character is facing, which also can get a little tiresome. Having said I still recommend this book as a good read.
on 23 June 2014
I really enjoyed the 1st book in the series. Even though I had trouble putting this one down I felt it was a more a book to get you ready for the next one and the story didn't develop as much as I would have liked it to.
on 4 June 2014
I don't normally bother to write reviews but this new series is brilliant. Had to finish the book in a day, just couldn't put it down.

Absolutely can't wait for the next installment.
on 20 June 2014
I have read book 1 and 2 in the last week, the story line.e keeps up a good place and has enough characters to keep it interesting. going off to buy book 3. keep up th good work. . . . . .
on 30 August 2014
Good but not as good as the first, although I will read the next installment when it comes out. The first was actually a brilliant debut though.