Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.74

on 16 July 2017
I recently read another book by this author, What happens in Tuscany, and really enjoyed it. I checked for other books and realised that I had this one and decided to re-read it. One of the (few) advantages of growing older is that the memory isn't as good as it used to be, so I had forgotten some of the details, however it all came back to me as I read and I enjoyed the book again. I will definitely be adding this author to my watch list.
on 16 August 2014
A few years back I had a book in my head similar to this one. I did nothing about it and reading Trevor's book you would understand why. Another great story from the Maestro! Stayed up very late to finish it as I really couldn't wait to find out what was happening! Would never have slept if I had turned the light off before finishing. Well done Trevor, looking forward to the next!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 July 2014
When Alice Met Danny looked like a really sweet story and the writing came across in the same manner too. Quirky humour brought life to the plot and it was a cute, feel-good story which touches on the importance of friendship and not letting obstacles stop you from picking yourself back up.

When we meet Alice, she is unaware her whole life is about to change. Made redundant from her job, she refuses to let this stop her from living her life and moves to Devon. I knew I was going to like Alice right from the beginning because she didn’t waste half the book moping. However good or bad the choices she made were, she wasn’t afraid to keep on going and her brave and inspiring personality really made me warm to her.

Throughout the book, Alice encounters a lot of new people and virtually every male character did seem to be called Danny – from possible love interests to a soldier to a baby and a dog, you could find a Danny in pretty much every page in this book. I loved this amusing concept although as Alice found it strange how all these Daniels were cropping up, I was just as confused while I tried to remember which Danny was which.

At times this book was quite comedic such as what Alice has to deal with once she’s bought her house. There were other more moving aspects to this story – especially the delving into the war which I hadn’t been expecting but completely enjoyed. I also adore any book which focuses on friendship in a positive, high-spirits kind of way and When Alice Met Danny really was uplifting.

I don’t think it should need to be mentioned but it is always a talking point. T.A. Williams has absolutely backed up that men can write chick-lit. When Alice Met Danny is a charming, entertaining read with a story that couldn’t have been put across any better had a woman written it. If you love a light story which simply makes you smile, T.A. Williams’ latest book is a great choice.

4/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.
Alice is really devastated to lose her job, and decides it might be the ideal time to move away from London, and buy a small cottage on the coast in Devon. She rents out her London flat to her colleague Danny, who she befriends before she leaves, and buys a house at auction, without seeing it first. However, Alice is in for a shock when she visits after purchasing it, and finding out it's a dump - crammed full of the items of a hoarder, with the most hideous stench, and overgrown garden to boot. Alice rents a room in a local guesthouse while she renovates her new home, and makes some new friends... with rather a lot of them called Danny. There's Danny, the local landowner (although best known as Daniel), Danny the baby of the lady next door, Danny the dog... Danny's appear to be everywhere in Alice's life - is it a sign?!

As you can see, as well as Alice, the majority of the other characters in this book are called Danny. Luckily, I didn't find it too confusing because they are obviously all very different, especially the baby and the dog, and it's not something I have read before in any book, so I liked that it was a unique idea. The character of Alice was very likeable, you could see why she wanted to move out of London for a break, the town she moves to in Devon sounds idyllic, a real tight community and I could see why she wanted to stay there. The descriptions of the house she buys are perfect - they really highlight the state that the house is in; the junk, the grime, the smell - all of it comes to life in the writing and you can't help but think Alice should running as far away from the house as she could get. I liked all the different things going on in the book too - I was never bored, and Alice always had something fun on the go - even the sadder scenes were written with care, and done really well.

The relationships that Alice forms in the book are good too, especially with 'London Danny', who we learn later to be 'windsurfer Danny' too - you do have to concentrate to keep an eye on who is who! I liked how easily Alice made friends, from Alice to the lady living next door, and her landlady too. Alice seems like someone who is easy to befriend and get to know. While the characters were enjoyable to read about, it was their dialogue that really let the book down for me. All of the conversations in the book felt really wooden to me, not at all like you'd expect conversation to flow in real life, and I found it a bit cringey to read at times. I just felt it wasn't a true reflection of real people's chats like it usually is when I read a book, and it was hard work for me. It's a shame, as the story was a great idea, but it was massively let-down by this aspect of the book for me.

I found this to be a fairly enjoyable read, the story was a unique idea, something that actually worked quite well in the book, but there were elements of it which left me wanting to knock a few stars off. For me, conversation/dialogue in a novel are really important, they are often my favourite parts of a book. When they aren't done properly, it can spoil the other parts of the book, and this was the case for me. I'm sure it's something that can be worked on, because the rest of the book flowed well and was enjoyable to read, it's just something for me that I couldn't get past. A beautiful setting, some really good descriptive writing and characters that you can invest in and care about - the bare bones are there to provide a great backbone to the story, and if the dialogue were better, it would have been a pretty brilliant read!
on 4 June 2014
This was unlike the authors previous stories, but no less enjoyable.

Alice is a great character and she is the one who holds the story together. The way her life changes almost overnight is a shock to her system. But she quickly picks herself up, dusts herself off, and gets on with her life.

I loved how her new life starts off. She decides to move away, buys herself a house as a doer upper. But nothing prepares herself for quite how much she actually needs to do to it. The scene where she discovers it, and quite how bad it is, is so cringeworthy it is funny! I don't mean cringeworthy in that it is badly written. I mean the house she has bought is so bad, and the authors description of quite how bad had me seeing it in my head as Alice walks round!

The way Alice meets Danny, or several Danny's, is brilliant. The coincidences don't stop there either. The author reveals a lot more throughout the book.

Does Alice keep any of the Danny's? If she does is it the one you, the reader, think it will be? Or is it, perhaps, fated that she will end up with none of them?

I loved this story as it is different to others I have read lately, and also shows a different side to the author himself. I honestly have no idea where this author may take us next, but I guarantee it won't disappoint.
on 13 June 2014
When Alice Met Danny is a lovely, easy read. The main character is Alice. When we first meet her she is working in London, and her life revolves around her career. That is until one day when she is made redundant. This comes as a massive shock to her but is the catalyst for huge changes that see her buying a house in Devon.

A big theme throughout the book is Danny. Not just one Danny, but many of them. It seems that everywhere Alice turns she meets yet another one. Yes, there is a Danny love interest, but there are also dogs and babies named Danny too. It would be true to say that Danny brings her laughs, intrigue, heartbreak, adventure, and love....but I won't tell you which Danny brings what!

I found this book really easy to follow. It felt light and warm and a nice pace. I loved the character of Alice who seemed to change once she left London. I love country life and would love to move to the country myself so it helped me identify with her.

I loved the use of the other characters, particularly the love interest Danny. He's a windsurfer so I could picture quite a heart throb. Meeting the local characters really helped build that country life feel with the local gossip, the vicar, the caring older lady, The Lord of the manor etc. each of them felt warm and I could picture myself getting to know each of them.

As part of Alice's re-evaluation of life she decides she would like to return to study at university, and the topic was WW1. This was very moving and poignant to me given the recent D-Day commemorations. I know that was WW2 but thinking about the atrocities that the soldiers went through was really sad. Alice stumbles across some letters written by a soldier during WW1. I don't want to ruin the storyline but it adds another dimension of beauty and sadness to the book.

I have never really read books of this genre written by a male author so wasn't sure what to expect in terms of writing style.....lets just say I will be looking out for his next book and buying it for certain!
on 9 June 2014
When Alice met Danny is the ultimate feel-good, capturing read. I thought it was such a lovely story. I did wonder how all of these different Danny’s were going to be weaved into Alice’s life...would it be believable? But I was pleased to discover that they all played a vital part in her story and the coincidences that bring them together will have you gripped. I couldn’t wait to find out which Danny Alice would end up with. I had a sneaky suspicion, but some of the things that happened threw me off the scent, so it’s not completely predictable what’s going to happen.
Alice purchasing Number 23 was a great catalyst for the story. Don’t read this first part of the novel whilst eating...the description of the house and the previous owners behavioural habits are gross. I was surprised to find that this is only a small part of the story, whereas I expected Alice’s work on the house to dominate more than it did. When Alice met Danny actually takes a lot of surprising twists and turns; I particularly enjoyed how much about the First World War there was in the story. I really liked seeing Alice become gripped by that period of time after she finds letters written by a former solder in her loft. It was a really interesting and thought provoking area of the story & I felt it added a bit more depth to it.
Alice makes for a wonderful character and you’re sure to love her mission to turn her life around. Yes she is understandably crushed when she’s made redundant but I liked the way that she picked herself up and got on with things. She’s rational, sensible and kind and you can’t help but like her.

This is the first novel of T A Williams that I have read and I am now so pleased to have discovered this author. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more of his work. As the wind-surfing residents of Woodcombe would say – it’s awesome!
on 2 July 2014
When Alice is made redundant little does she know that it's going to trigger the beginning of a whole new life for herself and bring her into contact with no end of new people who coincidentally all appear to have variations of the same name!

Alice was such a delightful character who made the best of the circumstances that she found herself in after a blind auction, I'm sure most of us would have curled up and cried.... I know I would have. But she literally threw herself into making the best of a cringeworthy situation, you'll have to read the book to see exactly what I mean, and turned things around. I also loved discovering how her relationships with one character then tied in with another which in a small rural village is so true to life.

As for the rest of the characters, I did find myself having a little chuckle every time Alice encountered a new Daniel, Dan or Danny... although if any more had been added to the mix I think it might have been just one Danny too many!

When Alice Met Danny is the author T. A. Williams first foray into the world of romantic comedy fiction novels and as such he's definitely hit the nail on the head as there was just the right balance between comedy and romance. An awesome read ;-)
on 17 July 2014
A story of Alice who starts a new life in Devon and a beautiful picture perfect village. Not everything is perfect for Alice, but as with all good stories there is a silver lining on every cloud.

Lovely written even tho some of the language used by the characters is too formal for today. The descriptions of the places are heavenly, making you want to rush to the coast and its beauty. Add the first world war references and we have a dream like book. Perfect for a summers afternoon read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 June 2014
This is a cosy light read that you don’t need to think too hard about. I really loved the beginning, especially when Alice bought a house blind at an online auction and ended up with much, much more than she bargained for. It was quite inventive for the previous owner of her new home to have been a hoarder, and the descriptions of the house were just bleuurrrrrghhhhh! To be honest, that was the best part of the book and the rest of the story just didn’t quite hit the mark for me. I found it hard to believe that she could have been friends with someone at work for so long and yet know nothing about their private life. This lack of knowledge leads to a misunderstanding which, to be honest, was a little predictable.

The one thing that I really didn’t like about this book though was the dialogue. It just didn’t seem natural and didn’t flow right. People don’t talk the way they do in this book.