Format: Audio CD|Change

Combining the Mercury release George Jones Salutes Hank Williams with the United Artists releases George Jones Sings Bob Wills and My Favorites of Hank Williams, this double CD conveniently combines these three tribute albums in one package. Well, not as convenient as would have been ideal. The Bob Wills tracks could have occupied CD 2, while the Hank Williams tracks occupied CD 1. Instead, the Hank Williams tributes each occupy the first 12 tracks of one CD, while the Bob Wulls tracks occupy the last six tracks of each CD. If the tracks were longer, this would have been necessary, but the Hank Williams tracks could have all fitted on one CD.

That's a minor quibble. The music itself is great as I expected. The Hank Williams songs are mostly very familiar to me, though there is one that I may not have heard before (I heard you crying in your sleep). I haven't listened to Bob Wills as much as Hank Williams, but again, most of the songs are familiar - especially Faded love, which was a Bob Wills classic until Patsy Cline made it her own.

Despite my quibble about the track sequencing, this is a great compilation featuring George paying tribute to his heroes. Now others are paying tribute to George Jones, and quite right too.
Back in the early 60's, a chum of mine lent me his recently purchased George Jones album, "My Favourites of Hank Williams". I was dimly aware of Hank Williams (dead country singer, right?), but George Jones was new to me, and anyway, how come my mate could afford LPs?

I thoroughly enjoyed the album, what with George's high nasal twang, and I made a point of listening out for more from Hank Williams. I veered from the path of becoming a country music collector, but was always pleased to hear a George Jones record. Later, I became appreciative of the western swing of Bob Wills (tho too many "ya-hees!"). So the three albums over two CDs was a treat, for very reasonable money.

My only quibble is that there's not a lot of difference in the pacing of the tracks. I found these were best enjoyed an album at a time, when you come to Bob Wills, play his six, then change the CD for the final six...just like you did back in the day, changing the album over. Concise note from Helen Akitt, tho no mention of 'Thumper' Jones, or 'No Show Jones'. Very enjoyable, maybe I'll get around to reading his now ironically titled bio, "I Lived To Tell It All" (1995).
George Jones Sings Hank And Bob. Three Original Albums On 2 CDs. NOT2CD541.

The running times for the set are as follows...CD1 42.30 & CD2 45.25.

The front cover has 3 small colour images of the LP covers of the albums included. Please note the one used for "Salutes" is of a reissue with extra titles. The liner notes are from Not Now Music regular Helen Akitt. This set comprises 3 complete LPs...inside the case on the back liner are 3 small black & white images of George Jones. The back of the liner notes booklet has an iconic black image of George Jones in performance.

This really is a economical way to collect 3 classic LPs by one of the most prolific and yet controversial characters of country music. Already given the thumbs up by reviewers this is a favourite with me for sure...

"George Jones Salutes Hank Williams" released in 1960 on the Mercury Records label. All songs written by Hank Williams, except where noted.

"Cold, Cold Heart"/"Nobody's Lonesome for Me"/"Hey, Good Lookin'"/"Howlin' at the Moon"/"There'll Be No Teardrops Tonight"/"Half as Much"/"Jambalaya (On the Bayou)"/"Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do?)"/"Honky Tonkin'"/"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)"/"Settin' the Woods on Fire" (Ed G. Nelson, Fred Rose)/"Window Shopping" (Marcel Joseph)

Released May 1960; Recorded March 1960 at Bradley Film & Recording Studio, Nashville, TN. Length 24:04. Label Mercury. Producer Shelby Singleton

"George Jones Sings Bob Wills" was released in 1962 on the United Artists Records it was his first album with United Artists.

"Bubbles in My Beer" (Tommy Duncan, Cindy Walker, Bob Wills)/"Faded Love" (Johnnie Lee Wills, B. Wills)/"Roly Poly" (Fred Rose)/"Trouble in Mind" (Richard M. Jones)/"Take Me Back to Tulsa" (Duncan, B. Wills)/"The Warm Red Wine" (Walker)/"Time Changes Everything" (Duncan)/"Worried Mind" (Ted Daffan, Jimmie Davis)/"Silver Dew on the Bluegrass Tonight" (Ed Burt)/"San Antonio Rose" (B. Wills) /"Steel Guitar Rag" (Leon McAuliffe, Cliffie Stone, Merle Travis)/"Big Beaver" (B. Wills)

"My Favorites of Hank Williams" was released in 1962 on the United Artists record label. It was his second tribute to the music of Hank Williams. All songs by Hank Williams, except where noted.

"You're Gonna Change (Or I'm Gonna Leave)"/"You Win Again"/"Mansion on the Hill" (Fred Rose, Williams)/"I Just Don't Like This Kind of Livin'"/"Lonesome Whistle" (Jimmie Davis, Williams)/"Wedding Bells" (Claude Boone)/"Your Cheatin' Heart"/"They'll Never Take Her Love from Me" (Leon Payne)/"I Heard You Crying in Your Sleep"/"A House Without Love"/"I Could Never Be Ashamed of You"/"Take These Chains from My Heart" (Hy Heath, Rose)
on 31 July 2014
Fantastic cd would recommend to anyone who likes genuine country
on 25 June 2016
It is not surprising that eventually George jones like so many artists before would sing hank Williams this he has done with two albums and a third album of bob wills three albums on two discs only one slight criticism it would have been better if they had put hank Williams on one disc and Bob wills on the other instead of splitting them up but it does not take away the fact that this is a fine recording and well worth the money
on 11 December 2014
You "can't go wrong" with a young George Jones singing 'Hank & Bob' ... especially with the Hank Williams songs ... this is a super recording on 2 CDs ... the MP3. download version seems to Burn only as 'MP3' format, but if you split it and down load as 2 separate discs you will be able to burn it on ordinary CDs ... at least that was my experience anyhow ... If you like 'Real' Country then buy this one!
review image
on 31 August 2014
anything by the late great george jones is ok with me ,good value 2 cds at a great price
on 17 September 2015
George, thanks for a lifetime of great music. The voice, you either love it or hate it, a definate love from me. Would have preffered a better track lay out/order as it's split over the 2 cds, never mind suffering is good sometimes.
on 20 March 2015
Recordings due to when recorded are not up to scratch compared to modern recordings but the songs are great of which I can relate to, the CD arrived a few days after ordering. Thanks.
on 24 July 2015
Great double CD here by George Jones singing the songs made famous by Hank & Bob.