on 5 July 2014
Been a fan of Matts work for quite a while now and he hasn't disappointed again.
Tortured is a great little novel and absolutely flies along at a great pace.
Really enjoyed the little nods to other books he has written in there.
Keep up the good work sir.
on 21 May 2014
Wow another great read from Matt Shaw. This book had me gripped from the start and kept me guessing until the end. Loved the concept of this and the ending was fantastic..... Oh and there's some fantastic, subtle, references to Matts previous work
on 29 May 2014
Definitely another five star offering from my favourite writer Matt Shaw. I picked this up earlier today telling myself I'd read for ten minutes and then get on with the housework. Big mistake, I've sat reading until I finished it! I loved this because it was gruesome to the point of my face being twisted for all the horrible torture scenes! I loved the characters, and as usual how they're ordinary people with the usual arguments families have. But of course nothing is ever as it seems, and I got the ending totally wrong. That'll teach me for trying to guess! The references to Matt's other books were great too, and have made me go out and want to read them all over again. Brilliant book, stuff the housework you won't be able to put it down!
on 15 June 2014
As usual a "bloody" good read. Unlike other authors Matt doesn't waste time in introducing his readers to the depraved and sick mind of his character. The scene with the vinegar actually made me cringe.
on 4 September 2014
The torture scenes were difficult to read, but the book in general was excellent. Really well paced, no 'fill', had me gripped, credible, and an ending which left me satisfied.
on 17 July 2014
Enjoyed this book tremendously.hard to put down once you start. did expect the end well before I finished tho. 2nd Matt Shaw book I've read and look forward to reading another.
on 25 March 2015
I have been a fan of Mr Shaw now for some time. His ventures into extreme fiction have proved a masterstroke. I just recently finished the excellent Monster - his co-write with Michael Bray and found it to be outstanding. This is another great book. The story moves along quickly and features journal style entries by the killer at the beginning of most chapters. I like how he did this. It wasn't the usual formula of building up a story to a dramatic last few pages. Not as good as Monster or Sick Bast$$ds for me but still very good. 4 Stars.
on 8 July 2014
Very good read with some disgustingly gory descriptions of the torture. Had me cringing loads! The thing that made it not quite five star for me was the typos (it slips from third person to first at one point as well) and the main character for me, Ryan, being very unlikeable.i was also very confused about the ending, I understood the twist (sort of) but several hints throughout the book lacked consistency towards the culprit at the end (unless I'm being blind). I seriously love Matt Shaw's work though and will definitely be buying more!
on 18 June 2014
Excellent read! And as usual for Matt Shaw a big twist to the story that I didn't see coming! I will definitely be reading more of his books!!!
on 11 January 2015
After reading sick bas**ds and the sequel this book seemed like a pg! Found it abit slow in places. Not my favourite one by Matt shaw