Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 August 2016
One of Bon Jovi's best album's, in my opinion, which includes 'Lay Your Hands on Me', 'Bad Medicine', 'Born To Be My Baby' and probably my favourite Jovi track - 'Blood on Blood'. Having recently purchased a turnatable I am currently on the look out for my favourite albums in vinyl format - and this one doesn't let the vinyl format down - superb!
Written in Bon Jovi's `big hair rock' era `New Jersey' has some good tracks on it, as well as a few more dubious selections. `Bad Medicine' is probably the most well known and the track that delighted stadium fans around the world and `Lay Your Hands On Me' is in a similar crowd pleasing vein. This was when Jon on Jovi was in his cowboy influenced phase (written around the same time as his solo 'Blaze Of Glory' Soundtrack album) and that shows though clearly on tracks such as `Ride Cowboy Ride' and `Stick To Your Guns' and although these are ok, these are the weaker tracks on the album and feel like 'Blaze Of Glory' rejects! It has been said on previous reviews that this is the album Jon Bon Jovi tried to show his Springsteen roots/influence the most clearly and on tracks such as `Blood on Blood' you can see he tries to emulate Springsteen's songwriting ability and song themes, but sadly never comes close, although I enjoy this song for what it is. For easy going, fun rock music, this album is a pretty good place to go. Although Bon Jovi have produced better albums that achieve the same goal both before and since (`Slippery When Wet' and `Keep The Faith`) and I put this one on once I`ve played those first and suggest you consider doing the same.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 25 August 2010
When every band breaks into the big time like Bon Jovi did with slippery, you have two options - reinvent yourselves or do more of the same, but BIGGER. Bon Jovi opted for the latter, and this paid off with a slightly more consistent quality of songs throughout the record.

Everything on this album sounds HUGE. Very excessive, very late 80's. They don't branch out much style wise at all, as there are plenty of upbeat rockers, ballads and even the "wild west style" song that wanted dead or alive filled in on slippery. Have they bettered the monstrous slippery when wet however? In some ways yes, in some ways no. One of the problems with slippery in my opinion was a slightly uneven track-list, and this suffers from a similar problem (two are country songs (demos?) that sound like they were recorded in johns basement, not sure what that is about), but the ballads are much better this time around, which is just as well. However, there aren't heights such as living on a prayer on here, altho born to be my baby and wild is the wind comes very close.

Standout tracks include the epic opener lay your hands on me, born to be my baby, living in sin and wild is the wind. A lot of the best songs on the album can't be purchased on compilations either so this is an essential purchase for the bon jovi fan.
on 11 February 2016
Another amazing album by Bon Jovi. I already loved New Jersey and then the extra disc of unreleased demos really made it for me. They're all really, really good songs! They don't have quite a polish on them as other demos have really, but still great to listen to!
I wasn't a real fan of 'Born to be my baby', but the acoustic version totally turned the song on it's head for me, and that version is amazing!
I listen to this all the time and is a great album!
on 23 February 2013

6. 99 In The Shade
7. Love For Sale
review image
on 7 March 2001
[note: The order of songs on the ordering page is wrong. No big deal]
As the second Bon Jovi album I bought (after Crush), I was expecting more of the same. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong, and I mean that in a good way.
Note for fans who haven't heard this before: *Serious* volume is needed on the first track, because when it changes tempo about half way through, the effect is incredible.
Most of the tracks continue the same way. It's classic rock of the Bon Jovi vein. At track 7 (Wild As The Wind) however, things go off on a slight tangent. It's a slightly darker song, but many people's fave from this album. Ride Cowboy Ride follows, a strange little piece recorded in mono with just Jon and Richie playing. Blending seamlessly with it is Stick To Your Guns, a wonderful piece upbeat rock and my favourite on the album.
Overall, this one's good if you like your 80s rock served hot!
on 21 October 2001
there are such things as era's....the late 80's were an amazing era for rock n roll ...the emergence of the force of guns n roses, the return of motley crue, the arrival of skid row and the general peaking of class acts like poison, cinderella, wasp, iron maiden etc....
then ...BON JOVI released the 'impossible to follow' Slppery When Wet album with what i consider as their most complete album ever..and urguable one that will never be bettered
It has all the components that shouls comprise a world class rock n roll album..
the concert opener and crowd singalong of 'lay your hands on me' is mirrored by the best rock video by bon jovi...this song ROCKS & still ROCKS
the sexy, flirtatious dirty lyrics that accompany 'bad medicine' as great and the chorus still reverberate...over a decade later
the slant towards acoustic led songs are notable on ballads which are not girlie but are powerful as in 'livin in sin' and 'IBT4U'
the bonding lyrics of 'blood on blood' capture the reality of the band and something for all kids to relate to...frienship is primary and its a message to the band and their fans
there is the fun and real sense of rock n roll, parties, babes, beaches and beer on '99 in the shade' ....a real song for the summer in a convertible car
then what an album closer...an acoustic drunk session ...with even tico singing and the 1st sign of the blues in bon jovi's veins...a funny yet nicely played number called 'love 4 sale'
BUT...for me there are 2 tracks which have been and always will be the UNSUNG HEROE'S ...two songs which sandwich a cowboy acoustic track called 'ride cowboy ride' ...are for me so beautiful, powerful , brilliantly organised and are somehow never played live !?! Wild is the Wind & Stick to your Guns are the songs...and they are not abt cowboys and indians...they are about realtionships, lost love...but really are so good, that they are the songs that make this a 5 STAR ALBUM ....
I did not even mention the radio friendly yet, suberb 'born to be my baby' or the wonderful keyboard and wicked guitar solo on 'homebound train'...ooops i just did.
If you missed out on the best of 80's hard rock..this is the album to listen to..and also get a listen to Dr feelgood by Motley Crue
TRUST ME....NEW JERSEY ROCKS HARD !!!!
on 4 October 2010
I'm not going to review this album because plenty of other people on here have done so already. I just want to mention that for some reason on the new Special Edition of New Jersey, the left & right sound channels have been swapped. I'm not sure if this is deliberate or a mistake. It doesn't ruin the listening, but if it is a mistake then it's a bit sloppy for the record company not to notice this before putting it out.
on 7 August 2001
Any where I go this is a must album to take with me. "Blood on Blood" is my all time favourite. As it reminds me of Jon and the gang singing their hearts out live at their concerts. You cant help but put it in your car and sing your head off as well, who cares if there is a traffic jam when you have Bon Jovi for company! Other great tracks are "Ille be there for you" and"You were born to be my baby". You dont have to be a Bon jovi fan to apprecciate this album as this album sells itself. Its rock music at its very best.
on 12 July 2011
I have nothing bad to say about the music on "New Jersey". It's one of my favorite Bon Jovi albums and it certainly deserves an upgrade. It sounds great, the tracks are great; overall it's a great album.

But there's one thing that annoys me here; this Special Edition has NO LYRICS. It's got liner notes from some people I have no idea who are explaining how great the band is and that's it. If ever there was a big voice displaying his irritations at how downloads are slowly replacing CD's it's Bon Jovi himself. This album, the Special Edition of 7800°Fahrenheit and their Ultimate Collection (with four new songs) come without any lyrics at all - this looks very rushed and simply designed to cash in on true fans of their music. I expected better from Bon Jovi in this respect; but there's no point in faulting the disc itself; it sounds great.