Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

This is an intriguing piece of work. A truly dramatic first act throws John Simm onto the streets of Manchester, wounded and having to survive against the forces of law and order. He is a 'fallen angel', a disgraced member of the police force searching for the truth. A horrific event is followed by an urban odyssey. Nothing is quite what it seems. There are questions of loyalty and deceit. John Simm is almost eclipsed by Rosie Cavalerio. She plays an inexperienced detective (with eating and personal issues) whose moral compass is continually challenged as the plot evolves. To divulge any more would detract from your enjoyment.
88 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2015
(Review by my 16 Year-Old Son)
I take no hesitation in saying that 'Prey' is easily one of the best mini-dramas of 2014, and certainly one of ITV's best series. The plot follows Marcus Farrow become a respected police officer, to a criminal on the run in a matter of just a few days. On the run from his former co-workers, Marcus has to prove his innocence and that he didn't murder his wife and son, but can he really trust the few friends that he has left in the police force? Personally, I believe that the strongest apsect of 'Prey' is the undoubtedly fantastic acting from all the cast. The always-brilliant John Simm gives a masterful performance as Farrow and shares some great scenes (particulary at the end of Episode 2) with the equally brilliant Rosie Cavaliero as Susan Reinhardt. The plot and setting are also gripping and engaging, as we see scenes with Marcus only just staying ahead of the police throughout the series, and the Manchester setting is also really well realised, with the use of natural lighting as opposed to film lighting being really effective. The revelations at the end of Episode 3, that I won't reveal for spoiler purposes are both shocking and dramatic, and bring the mini-drama to an end in a satisfying manner for the viewer.
In conclusion, I definitely recommend 'Prey' to practically everyone, and with a promise that it will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat with its relentless drama. At the time of writing this review, ITV have recently announced that they have also commissioned a second series of 'Prey', this time starring Phillip Glenister. While I have mixed feelings as to whether it will live up to the first series, I think I can be fairly sure in saying that the drama is not about to come to an end any time soon ...
on 13 May 2014
With twists and turns to the last, this three-part drama never slows down for a breather.
Impeccable performances by John Simm and Rosie Cavaliero help deliver what must surely be one of the best dramas of the year.

'Prey' moves at a pace rarely seen in British TV and is much the better for it.
First class.
on 6 June 2014
Have just finished watching this. Very good plot, and a good twist at the end, although it wasn't the twist I thought it was going to be!
Good acting by John Simm ensured it never flagged,and I looked forward to watching it every Monday night, which resulted in me getting the DVD.

Although no subtitles are mentioned on the back of the DVD, it does have them, although it isn't very clear how to get them- I found out through trial and error! Worth purchasing!
on 6 September 2014
Rollercoaster ride! Plenty of twists and turns - real edge of your seat drama with great performances from all the cast, especially John Simm. The police interview scene was a masterclass in acting.
on 16 July 2014
John SIMM is flawless, however there just isn't enough meat to get his teeth into. It starts well but runs out of steam quickly. The plot is obvious and dull and the pace loses you. It could have been great but it's just ok.
on 7 January 2015
This was a fantastic serial. John Simm is a great actor. We don't see enough of the high quality BBC TV programs in Australia and I bought this having not seen it - just from the info on Amazon UK and John Simm's reputation. All the characters are good the story is great and the twist at the end and throughout kept me well engaged.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 May 2014
I enjoyed this fast paced drama when it aired on ITV the other week. Its gritty thrills were right up my alley! I thought that it was well acted in the main and that the motivations of the central characters were keenly observed and portayed on screen. John Simm is a bit of a favourite of mine and I thought he gave it his all as a cop on the run. I totally bought into his family situation and found him easy to route for when the odds were against him. I thought the linear plot was interesting and that it came together nicely. I particularly liked the cop on his trail; a temporarily promoted DCI who had more than a few problems of her own, I thought her character was well rounded. I cought a bit of deja vous as the episodes unfolded and then realised that it's very, very similar to the excellent Sean Bean television drama, Extremely Dangerous which was released back in 99.
on 1 September 2016
Absolutely great. John simm is amazing in prey. I knew from the itv trailer it was a must watch and I knew that I had to have it on dvd.
Plus it was a very quick delivery. I'm a very happy customer.
on 22 December 2015
The second instalment of this series is being shown on TV at the moment and is staring John Simm,s mate from Life On Mars Philip Glenister. The story line is similar to the present series of Prey John is a policeman who is framed for the murder of his wife