Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

on 28 March 2015
You know what you are getting when the book has a line in which reads "the beret bore the insignia of the Armoured Infantry: an Eagle, Globe and Anchor. He had found the symbol in a history file" ( if you need a clue for this reference, Semper Fi).
I could not put this book down after starting it, an excellent read that combines Starship Troopers with the Lost Fleet books. The aliens are evil, the space battles are huge, the women are all beautiful (especially those in power armour and the admirals) and 70 odd year old men look like 25 year old Adonises due to anti aging treatments. Cracking stuff. I hope that the future ones will be as good, but they would benefit from proof reading though.
on 27 June 2014
The basic story line in which an unwary and ill prepared earth being attacked without warning by a merciless alien foe has been done many times before. I have given this version 5 stars because I though that it was tightly written the story moved along at a fair pace and it brought enough that was new to be worth reading. There are small inconsistencies in the plot but for me spotting them is part of the fun in reading fiction and Sci Fi in particular. The characterisation of the main players is well done making them believable and involving for the reader. The end of this first book in what I believe will be a series was just a bit saccharin for my taste but you can't have everything. I read the book over two sessions. Sci Fi buffs will love it. I will have to get out more.
on 2 June 2014
One of the best military science fiction books I have ever read and I've read dozens,Rod Carstens has started what looks to be an epic,interesting characters,great plot,epic combat in space and on the ground and a totally despicable enemy,the only down side is awaiting the next chapter.
on 6 July 2017
Really good book, interesting characters that leave you wanting to know what happens to them. The bad guys are pitched in an appealing way that make them totally believable. That good I just brought the second book straight away.
on 30 June 2014
Start of a great story, a well written page turner where you can enjoy what happens to the character's and really root for them in their trials ahead
on 4 August 2014
SciFi and military combined, the best genres possible.
Nothing new about the content of the story but well written with believable characters.

I read this in two days and found it quite enjoyable and very absorbing, once you get over the spelling mistakes and grammatical howlers eg; lots of "they're" instead "their". Putting someone "in status" ( why do I need to know their social standing?) when it should be "in stasis" as in suspended animation.
Apart from that I'm actually looking forward to the second book in the series.
on 29 April 2017
I came into this book with fairly average expectations after reading my last two books to 33% and 66% and basically losing interest because of poor story lines and characterisations. The first few pages I thought oh dear, with some poor grammar and repetitions of already stated text I thought I will give this 2 chapters at most and if no improvement it is toast!. Oh my god what an unexpected gem of a book/series I am completely hooked I have read a book a day with first two books in series and have now downloaded next two and can't wait to start book three. I have read probably 100-150 books from kindle unlimited and this is the first that I felt compelled to write a review. Mr Rod keep them coming!
on 15 September 2014
Really enjoyed the read. Some familiar concepts and some nice variations. Appalled by the dreadful proof-reading / conversion evident in the Kindle version - littered with typos, missing words and incorrect words interrupting the flow.
on 3 October 2014
Typos and mistakes in the Kindle version aside, this was one of the few books that have managed to grip me from start to finish. Excellent read, recommend both the book and the author.
on 6 July 2016
As a long time lover of Military Science fiction, I loved thios book. The charhacters were well written and the action, space and land based were brilliant. I had no expectations of this writer as I had never heard of him, I bought the kindle version on a whim along with several other works from various authors. It remained unread in my collection until i got around to it. I stayed up until 2 am to finish this book (I get up at 6 am for work), totally worth the lost sleep