on 21 November 2009
I will confess to being a bit dubious about this product at first. There are an awful lot of very expensive midi converters on the market; surely there must be a reason for this? Seemingly not. Plugged it straight into the piano at one end (little midi lights come on to tell me I got it right, which is handy as it is a common error to get the midi cables the wrong way round), plug it into the PC at the other (more little lights to guide you) and my PC (windows 7, if that helps anyone) wakes up and goes "ooh, looks like we need some drivers". So off it romped, found some drivers, and we were away. All without intervention from me.

My music composition software (Sonar) spotted the device straight away and that was that. No noticeable latency (any there might be can be squarely attributed to my sound card) and it's been working reliably ever since. Bingo.

NB since I wrote this review I've replaced my sound card, and this confirmed that this product was not the source of the latency. 6 Months on, its still working well.
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2010
I wanted a cable to connect my Yamaha to my mac (10.6.2, iLife 09), so I could use it in GarageBand. I'm very happy to report that this one did exactly what I wanted it to, and worked flawlessly, negating the need to buy the expensive Yamaha cable.
44 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2012
I've had a few of these for some time and they do what they are supposed to as long as you remember this handy hint.

When connecting your keyboard / drum machine / controller / MIDI enabled mongoose the plug marked IN goes to the socket marked OUT (or OUT / THRU if that's how the device is configured)and the plug marked OUT goes to the socket marked IN.
on 1 November 2009
This product appears to be identical to the LogiLink Adapter USB to Midi In-Out.
As that product had mixed reviews, I did wonder what the differences might be with the more expensive items and if it would work at all.

Thankfully, when I used this product to connect my old Casio CZ1 to my laptop it worked fine first time. It was nice not to have to instal drivers for this USB device. There was no problem with ordinary recording, playback, note timing, pitch bend, modulation wheel, etc.

Excellent value for money.
on 17 October 2013
First of all let me start by just writing a few words giving you a sense of my technical background. I've been a music producer and a recording engineer in a past life, at one stage in my own studio. This was back in the day when reel to reel tape was the only option for laying down tracks, valve equipment was old hat (and not neveaux retro), and when MIDI was the next big thing. More recently I qualified with a BSc in IT and computing. With this background, I imagined I was well qualified to make this product work correctly. Not so; though I am probably able to review it with some authority.

Put simply, I know my control-change data from note-off information, which is more than this product does.

Here is what should happen: all MIDI data from the controlling device - in my case a not inexpensive Yamaha SY35 keyboard, should be translated accurately into the receiving device - the software on the other side of my USB port.

What actually happens: some note-on note-off data gets through, but not if you play chopsticks any faster than walking pace. This means that some notes are missed in their entirety, while others will sound, but not stop when you release the key. As other reviewers have mentioned, you will get some truly 'creative' results if you deign to employ a pitch bend wheel (a very unmusical glissando that refuses to silence), or the modulation wheel to, for example, switch a simulated Leslie speaker from slow to fast). In the latter example the results are literally random - I couldn't achieve any type of repeatable results.

Also mentioned in other reviews are that the MIDI cables are easily mixed up: the de facto and de jure standards for this are that 'IN' is plugged into 'OUT' and vice-versa. It may be confusing, but trust me, it has ever been thus with MIDI. I seem to have been sent an 'upgraded' model, whereby the manufacturer has swapped these labels around for reasons better known only to themselves.

The driver business is also something of a red-herring. My product installed itself with a generic driver (on Windows XP 64Bit Edition), but this is to be expected as the operating system will apply whichever driver the chipset in the product identifies itself as needing. As most of these cheap controllers probably have the same basic chip inside them, it is to be expected that they will either all work with your OS, or not. But that is by the by.

So to summarise, this product isn't worth your £5 note - no pun intended. What I have described above might seem overly technical, so I'll put it in layman's terms: if you expect to press notes and then to actually hear those notes (and no others) , this device is not for you. Do yourself a favour: don't punt the money hoping that it will work 'for simple occasional stuff' or 'for the kids to learn with'. Mine went wrong on around the third key press. Get a Yamaha UX16. They do work (and no I don't work for them).
on 17 December 2009
Received this promptly from my supplier 'Digiflex' and I'm happy with the service I got from them.

I glanced at the manufacturer's instructions briefly (and they are, it must be said, very tiny, brief instructions) , plugged the lead in, watched Windows XP go through the motions of recognising it, waited for the 'your new hardware is ready to use' message and then found that neither my sequencer nor Windows XP had this lead selectable for MIDI input or output. As far as they were concerned, the midi input/output did not exist, although other existing alternatives such as the MPU401 type MIDI in/out on my old soundcard were still being offered.

Upon re-reading the instructions I realised that the first described step was to plug the MIDI IN and OUT into a midi device and it turns out that this IS important. The chip inside the bulb in the middle of the lead seems to be a multifunctional USB audio/MIDI device and if it doesn't have a live MIDI device plugged into it on the MIDI side when you first plug it into your computer, the MIDI interface part of the lead may not be recognised by the install process.

To get out of this I had to system restore back to a recent restore point (one saved prior to my attempted installation of the lead) and this time I made sure the MIDI cables were plugged into my synth and the synth was turned on FIRST. Then, when the lead was plugged into the USB port of the computer, roughly the same 'new hardware found' messages came up, but after the 'your new hardware is now ready to use' message I found that I could now select 'USB Audio Device' for MIDI input and output.

Tested briefly with Quartz AudioMaster Freeware and this unit seems to work OK with that.
on 7 September 2014
The vendor delivered quickly and the midi adaptor looked fine. BUT it did not work at all when connected to a keyboard. It may be significant to say that the adaptor had a different logo printed on it - no treble clef etc, but just "USB MIDI". I am developing software and hardware for "Virtual Pipe Organs", and I can monitor exactly what such an adaptor is sending into the USB port, in this case nothing. Fortunately a helpful dialogue on the web showed how someone else had had problems with a similar unit and overcome them. Unless you are an experienced electronic engineer/technician you can (at your own risk) try my "simple" solution, which is to run a connecting wire from your keyboard's Ov (usually the outer shaft of its low voltage DC power connector) to your computer's 0v (eg the shaft of a headphone or mic jack that is then plugged into the PC. I had examined the internal design of this adaptor and predicted that it could never work without such a connection, and so it was, so that is the quickest fix. For the technically minded, the designers (if you can call them that) of the adaptor have ignored the official Midi specification, and left out the essential opto-isolator. Midi is meant to operate with a current-loop, thus avoiding earthing and other interference problems. It is utterly crass to try to implement direct coupling, especially as all senders have set up the simple current loop. This adaptor went one further by connecting the sender's +5 volt return to its 0v rail. Without the connecting wire the signal gets shifted below 0v and can never get through. I've rebuilt my adaptor to include an opto-isolator, in line with the midi spec. It now works perfectly. How stupid.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2010
ALthough the title of the product does not include windows in the compatibility list. The Amzon technical specifications include compatibility with Windows 7. I bought the product on this basis.

Unfortunately I have to report that the product does not work with Windows 7 so if you have a recent computer with this operating system I would not recommend this product.

If you google USB to MIDI cables and windows 7 you will find that this is a common problem with these cables, something must have changed in Windows 7 that prevents the cable to work properly.

I have contacted the manufacturer, asking for a Windows 7 driver. If unavailable I will return the cable to Amazon.

Hope this helps.
99 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2012
I was looking for a fairly cheap midi cable (being a student) to connect my keyboard to Sibelius, but the cable did not arrive for more than 3 weeks and then only after I emailed the retailer asking for a refund. When it arrived it lit up for a bit when connected, but nothing actually happened (with the keyboard or the pc). I know how to use midi cables being a tech student, but I'm assuming it was faulty product. Too much hassle to send back.
on 16 January 2013
As soon as you try sending MIDI controller messages into this unit, it sends bizarre messages to the USB port. Tested with both PC and iPad. Sadly, not even worth a couple of pounds, unless your requirements are very basic.