on 16 July 2013
I did enjoy this book but it wasn't by any means perfect. Someone whose reviews I follow on GoodReads said that this book was pretty much like the author had decided to re-write Twilight. The thing is, some parts were too familiar: a new girl in a small town, inexplicable group of people that are ostracised by 'normal' people, hot/cold male lead, and the girl always seeming to find herself in perilous situations that could have easily been avoided or foreseen.

What carries this book for me is the dialogue. It's snappy and sharp. And whilst I didn't always like Daemon, the chemistry between him and Katy is brilliant. And I loved his sister, Dee, too. And I liked Katy's other friends, even if there wasn't much development of them.

What I also like is that Katy is essentially one of us. A blogger. An avid reader. And she is relatable and in that respect, likeable.

This was a fun read and I'm already onto the next.
on 1 January 2017
This was my first book from this Author I'd had recommended by a friend.
I loved everything about this book, I did find it similar to Twilight but I saw that as a plus not a negative.
The Luxen are are here on Earth living amongst us. They tend to stick to there own kind so as not to draw attention to themselves, but this doesn't always work the way they want it to.
Katy moves next door and has a weird meeting with her new neighbour the gorgeous but arrogant Daemon.
He goes out of his way to be rude to Katy warning her to stay away from his sister as she doesn't need a friend like her.
I loved the chemistry between these two they have an instant love hate thing going on from the start.
Katy finding out the secrets about her Strange neighbours and her life is never the same again.
Daemon needs to protect Katy in order to protect his family and its not as easy when he can't seem to control himself where Katy is concerned. Whether he admits it or not there's something between them.
A great start to the series, I'm hooked and buying book 2 straight away.
This isn't a bad book. Just isn't for me. I wasn't a fan of Twilight and this is very much Twilight fan-fiction, but with massive plot holes.

Dislikes:

1. Insta-Lust: I loath insta-lust. It's just not my thing, particularly when the hero treats the heroine badly but she still swoons over him. Have some SELF-RESPECT.

2. OTT swooning, angst, whinging and wobbles. The heroine is either crying over the hero (like seriously grow a spine woman) or is swooning over him. I hate that. Why can't we have strong heroines? Even her occasional backchat is ruined by her constant need for his approval. She whines about "why do you hate me so much?" - WHY DO YOU CARE?! HE'S A T0SS-POT - MOVE ON!!!

3. Way too Twilight-y

4. Plot holes galore.

(a) if you're trying to keep a low-profile surely you'd have average looks? Why do these Lux people choose good-looks? Also why not drive and behave with more discretion if your hoping to "fit in"?

(b) considering how obvious the Lux are with their powers, surely their opponents can easily find them without needing humans with the "Lux trace" stamped on them? They just have to monitor all the Men in Black wandering around the location. Duh

(c) if Lux people are Light, then their energy source would be light i.e. why eat junk food? Like plants they'd need light and water.

(d) again if Lux are made of light, and look like light then how can they be attracted to humans? It's like us being attracted to non-humans. The science is whacked.

If anyone knows even a tiny bit about Physics would notice it. It's a shame we don't have more female teens in sciences - but if they're into this stuff then not surprised.

-----------------------------------------------

Likes:

1. heroine's background story relating to her dad. That was so sweet. And how her mum still loves him. Beautiful.

2. heroines curvy looks.

3. Hero's hostile reacting to heroine was hot (it's a shame she constantly drooled over him), otherwise it would have been perfect chemistry.

Altogether not a bad book but I DNF'd it as I was struggling to read around 65%. It just lost my interest.
on 29 January 2015
To be honest this isn’t a book I was thinking about reading, the story didn’t sound very interesting, one of those YA novels where the girl let’s herself be abused by an irritating male character and never really stands up for herself. However all the raving about it on booktube got me curious and when I saw it for free on Amazon I downloaded it, and later it was voted to be read on the Little Book Club…so I finally gave in and read it…and since my expectation where not very high to begin with, I wasn’t really disappointed.

As I was expecting, the story is nothing special although weirdly addictive, it was a very fast read. There isn’t anything distinctive about the characters or the plot (there is very little information abut the aliens, maybe the other books in the series delve more into their world). Daemon is just exasperating, one second he is being arrogant and pretentious (the “I’m doing this for your and my sister’s protection” didn’t really stick); the next he is being affectionate and tender. Katy on the other took all the abuse and went back for more, it ends up being frustrating, and the fact that she is a nerdy book blogger is very unconvincing as she seems to rarely pick up a book or do any writing.There are some steamy, sexy scenes and a lot of sexual tension between Katy and Daemon, however the back and forth between them becomes a little repetitive.

Overall it was an entertaining read, I didn’t struggle or though about just putting it down, despite it’s flaws this book was kind of a guilty pleasure, nonetheless I will not be continuing with the series, at least for now.
on 29 October 2014
Twihards (like myself) are bound to find similarities with these books - girl moves to small town and meets a group of 'different' kids on the periphery of the school cliques, with cute (more like smokin' hot) guy who blows hot/cold. True. But so what if an author takes on a theme that has proved popular and works? The challenge is to completely make it your own...so is this a good story in its own right? Yes! Book blogger Katy is also much sassier than Bella, and super hot and moody Daemon is way darker than Edward.

Enough with the comparisons. I loved: the alien angle; the boy-next-door fantasy; the confrontations with seemingly rude, overbearing and arrogant Daemon; the unsolved mysteries in the background; and the danger threatening to destroy them all - not to mention a lot of female readers have found themselves a new hot book-boyfriend. What more could a reader ask for?!
on 16 April 2016
To be honest, I didn’t think I would love a book about aliens, so it’s quite a new idea for me. Not that I had anything against them, I just wasn’t sure they were my ‘thing’. I was so wrong. I don’t know why I put off reading this book for so long.

In an effort to start over after the death of her father. Katy’s mom moves them to a small town. Although Katy would much rather reading ,writing/reviewing for her book blog or gardening. Her mom encourages her to make friends with the teenagers next door… and she does… Meet Daemon Black. Gorgeous, tall and alluring. But after her first conversation with him, she quickly realizes that he’s also arrogant, and oh so very infuriating. But something feels a little off about him, and his polar opposite twin sister Dee who is warm, sweet and fun. who has befriended her. The way people treat them, little glances, tricks of the light, something about them is different. And Katy is going to find out exactly what it is. When she finds out what he and Dee are, she also finds out their enemies, the Arum. And Daemon’s just put a trace on her, an Alien mojo, that makes her shine brighter than Time’s Square. Now Daemon’s enemies the Arum are after her. She now has to spend more time with Daemon. What a bummer!

Daemon, where do I begin with him. He’s a flirty guy, fighting what he feels, and you can tell he loves his sister and wants nothing more than to keep her safe. I couldn’t help but fall for him. Underneath the all the arrogance and bad boy persona, was a softie that we got a glimpse of every now and again. Even before reading his POV scenes at the end, you can tell he’s a good guy despite some of his infuriating actions.

I love Katy and Daemon’s relationship. She never put up with any of his crap, not even for a minute. She always stood up for herself. always held her own. There is incredible sexual tension between them, It doesn’t go too far but farther than I was expecting. How is a girl suppose to resist Daemon, I do not know.

This book is a little different than a lot of the romance books out there, between the main couple aren’t officially a couple for the whole book. A lot of things comes between them. His kind aren’t meant to mingle with humans, she is a huge liability to him, his family, his people. But things keep throwing them together, and by the end there is a feeling of ‘togetherness’ between them.

As for the ending, this is the first book in a series of 5, so there is a lead into the next book, but no cliff hanger. The good thing about waiting till now to read this series is that all of the books have been released and I don’t have the agonizing wait for the rest of them to be released.

One of my favourite YA books I have ever read, can’t wait to get stuck into the next book, Onyx, to see what happens next between Katy and Daemon. If you haven’t picked up Obsidian yet or still have it waiting on your bookshelf, I urge to you to go buy it/start reading it. You’ll probably find a new favourite series… I know I did.
on 1 October 2013
This plotline was very good. It had potential to be really amazing, like super. But...I just didn't like the flippant writing style. Everything that should have been really dark and scary was light-hearted, jokey or - even worse - just plain forgotten. It's very obvious that this author has potential to be amazing, but half the scenes just fell flat. It also didn't help that there was a lack of clear description in some of them - so it was hard to visualize. Especially fast-moving, action scenes.

Saying that, I absolutely adored the character Daemon. He was very wonderful to read about. He had the perfect measure of cockiness, snark and caring side. And, although for the first half of the book I found Katy irritating, she grew on me towards the end of the book.

Overall, this book could have been so much better but it wasn't that bad as it was.
on 1 December 2015
Not read any supernatural for a while, so this made a refreshing change for me. I love, love hate relationships so much. Love arrogant, alpha males, and Daemon Black is just that. Well written, thoroughly enjoyed.
on 14 August 2016
brilliant book i'm not much of a book reader, but this one, well it got me from the start, what I like is the banter between katy and daeman, they like each other but don't want to admit it, I have just started reading the second book opal, and have just ordered the third, the author is brilliant she has a great sense of humour. If you want a good book series then grab a cuppa and settle on the sofa with this one.
on 30 January 2016
I loved this series of books, the story was actually really gripping! Am really sad to have finished them.
Daemon and Kitten were a lovely combination, and had me laughing and at times with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat.
I am a mum in her early forties and loved the escapism stories like this provide, couldn't put the books down.
Daemon was sexy and so protective of Kat, Swoon...... Would love to see them made into films.
I have recommended them to my friends and if you are looking for a very exciting, passionate sci-fi romance them read these brilliant books.