on 14 March 2014
I don't want to give too much away for potential readers so I'll keep it vague. I loved the flow of the writing in the first 2/3 of the book and I was gripped. The characters are poignant and likeable and there are some lovely observations on the subtleties of body language. The plot COULD be confusing but wasn't. It was masterfully handled so as to feel very coherent indeed. There were two main problems for me that stopped me from giving a five start perfect here. Firstly, there was too much hand holding (literally) between friends. This just kept jerking me away from what was essentially a beautifully portrayed love story. That just doesn't fit with real world experience (no...not even between really close friends) nor with a plot that really went to great lengths to notice subtlety. Towards the end, much as I appreciated the necessity of it for the plot to unfold as intended I started to feel like the asexual writing that the book opened up with had morphed into an in-club for the girls. I wanted to recommend the book to my male friends but towards the end felt that they might not appreciate me getting them to read a gushy love story. This is of course PURELY subjective because I am male. Girls, you will almost certainly have no problem with any of this! Overall though, these are the only two small things that stuck out for me in what was otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience. A book most definitely worth reading (even if you're a guy as long as you don't tell your mates to read it!)
on 3 August 2014
I thought this book was absolutely amazing especially as it was a first novel. How Dani thought up the two story plot was beyond me. Admittedly the beginning was a bit weak, I only stuck with it because I was intrigued by what the author meant by one life beginning as another ended and I was soon gripped in the two plot twist. I only put it down around midnight because I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Started reading again at 8 am today and didn't put it down until at a crucial moment my kindle battery gave out on me. Quickly gave it a bit of a charge and I was rooted to the settee until I finished it. I wondered how on earth the plot was going to pan out, there were one or two 'noise' clues but apart from that I didn't guess the conclusion, which when you rule out science fiction I think it's the only conclusion one could come too.
I carried on reading the free three chapters of her next book which stated that it came out 1.8.14 and can't wait to buy it. Well done Dani, I loved it.
on 21 April 2018
Being the sort of girl who likes Chick lit, Sci-Fi and all things time travel, this was totally my kind of book! I read it over two days!

I admit I would have liked the ending to have been happier... where she actually wakes up again after the car accident and gets to live her life again where none of the central characters are ill or die... but she’s reunited with her Jimmy at least... just not in the way we’d hope! Very sad for her Dad at the end too!

Burst into tears at the end! :-( great book though.
on 28 October 2014
I'm probably not the typical audience for this being a middle-aged male not generally drawn to romance novels. With so many other reviews mine will not really add much to the mix, but I try to review all the books I read, so...
It begins well, though with the main characters all less than half my age, there are moments when their (well described) youthful exuberance made me think 'bless, wait 'til they grow up. Then the 'fracturing' occurs, and for a few pages I thought we were in for the literary equivalent of the film 'Sliding Doors'. Instead, the story concentrates on one strand of the possible futures.
The writing itself is okay, not bad, but not particularly brilliant either, but perfectly good enough to work within what around the romance is pretty good tale. The ending is excellent, bitter-sweet, and tying up the loose ends nicely.
on 25 June 2014
I found the opening lines of this novel overly cluttered with what seems to be irrelevant detail. No doubt the writer would defend this by pointing out that it was necessary to set the scene and make the dramatic action all the more believable and that without such overload the reader wouldn't have engaged with the main characters enough by the time the Occurrence happens.... My answer to that would be that a really good writer can convey much by fewer, well chosen words. For me, much of this novel is defined by too much clutter.

Having said that, it was a good story, and I did - eventually - engage with the central character; but perhaps the idea had nowhere to go, ultimately. I think the reader is waiting for the piece of magic which makes everything make sense .... Unfortunately, I couldn't find the ending as poignant and touching as I would have hoped.
on 14 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Having just read a far too obvious and cliched chic-lit on holiday, this one came as a breath of fresh air. At it's core is a love story, or really several love stories - paternal love, romantic love, all wrapped up in an intriguing storyline that kept my attention right to the end.
In theme it reminded me of the film 'Sliding Doors' in how it explores how your whole life might change on a split second, but 'Fractured' is definitely it's own unique story.
I liked the central character, Rachel, and thought all the characters to be believable if one or two of them a little two dimensional. I did wonder how the two stories were going to resolve successfully, but I was more than happy with the way Dani worked that.
I would recommend this book and would certainly choose more by this author based on this read.
on 29 September 2015
In a Cecilia Aherne type way, Dani Atkins explores the possibility of lives parallel universes. Does our 'fate' decide who/what we are or is that something that we do ourselves by taking control. Philosophical questions abound to any reader of this book. I actually liked it (although if I'm truthful felt the ending let it down somewhat). Atkins had been careful to give plausible explanations of schisms all along the narrative - until the end. Nevertheless I couldn't put it down whilst I was reading it and feel this is clearly an author to look out for and I felt that Fractured was definitely unforgettable.
on 24 May 2013
Interesting concept with an unexpected and rather sad ending. I don't understand the reviewers who say it was unresolved. I can't go into detail because that would ruin it but I think, at the end, it is resolved in the only possible, plausible whilst fantastical, way. I was unsure whether to give it three or four stars but settled on the higher score because I found it a thought-provoking theme which still leaves me somewhat disquieted, 24 hours after finishing the book. After a while the style of writing got a bit annoying: there is far too much reading of eyes and expressions and faces; I have also never known anyone sleep as heavily as this girl - in the chapters where she was woken from slumber I actually wanted to dive into the book and slap her round the face with a wet flannel! A lot of the peripheral characters are sketchily drawn when, in spite of their minor roles, they are important to the story. If our heroine weren't so busy reading the expressions in people's eyes we might have time to hear more about the friends and family around her. Her characterisation being, as it is, written in the first person, is a little self-indulgent but the author gets full marks for originality.
on 4 February 2015
Really enjoyed the book but have very mixed feelings about the ending. Don't want to spoil it for anyone wishing to read the book so won't say too much. A lot of people have said it has similarities to the film Sliding Doors and I can see that but to me there were more similarities to a TV series that I won't name because it may give the ending away. Because of these similarities I guessed the ending. Very good book but sometimes Rachael does seem a bit dense. When her life has changed so much why does she keep thinking that people at her old workplace or the building where her old flat is will remember her? Did love most of the characters especially Jimmy which is why the ending has left me with very mixed feelings.
on 30 March 2014
This book was so totally gripping I stayed up all night to read it.

The characters are so beautifully written they feel like friends.

I never guessed at where this story would go, every time I thought I had an idea I was proved wrong. The tale of Rachel and Jimmy is so profoundly moving it is like no other love story I have ever read. I cried more than once in the reading of this book and it wasn't just a few tears, I came close to sobs.

A beatifully moving, tender yet harrowing story that keeps you gripped and, in my case, up all night!
2 people found this helpful