Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 13 August 2013
I remember everyone talking about 'The Sopranos' during the years that it aired on HBO, but a) I didn't subscribe to HBO, and b) I didn't think I'd be interested in a show about the mafia.

Fast forward to June 2013. One night not long after James Gandolfini died, my husband and I (now living in England) happened to catch a one-off episode of 'The Sopranos' on telly. We were immediately and absolutely hooked. We sat spellbound for the entire hour. As soon as it was over, my husband fired up the laptop, and ordered the boxed set.

Delivery was made a few days later and we have just finished watching the entire series. Some nights/week-ends, we'd watch 2, 3, 4 (or more!) episodes. The writing and acting are flawless.

I am a 59-year old woman. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd enjoy something like this. But I certainly have, and so has my husband. Yes, it's graphic - but the violence and language and nudity are all elemental to the story and not just thrown in there for ratings purposes.

Now I understand what all the hoopla was about back in the day, and I continue to ask myself why on earth did I wait so long before ever watching this?

If you're looking for some compelling television viewing to tide you over the upcoming winter months, and you've never seen 'The Sopranos', do yourself a favour and order now.
on 5 April 2017
What can I say that hasn't been said before, one of the greatest TV series ever.

Watching again after a few years break, just as good.
on 6 March 2017
Great value for money. One of the best series every. The only let down was the discs holder they could have been better. Instead of using paper they should have been plastic holder's. It's a shame it's such a great series.
on 23 June 2017
Excellent and lengthy study of an Italian-American don and his family and associates. There are enough twists and turns to keep you interested, and the characters and dialogue are highly entertaining. Without spoiling anything, I wish there had been one more episode rather than it ending how it does.
on 5 June 2012
We thought nothing could ever be as good as The West Wing. People told us The Sopranos was good and we didn't fancy the sound of it. In fact it is possibly better than the West Wing, as it is more emotionally complex. We could hardly restrain ourselves from watching just one more episode. It was like having a large box of really delicious chocolates.

As the episodes went on I noticed various Shakespearean references. I started to wonder if the writers had a bet to get one into each episode. I will have to watch the whole lot again to find out.

I think this is really world class drama, a real triumph.
on 12 January 2015
The actual progamme The Sopranos is worth 5 stars +, it is easily the best TV series ever made and I absolutely enjoyed every single episode. However my boxset must have been secondhand, because every single plastic case for each series was broken. Funnily enough the title of this boxset includes the words (New Packaging) Yeah right! So it's only one star for the supplier.
on 22 August 2009
No point in trying to match the description of the plot and characters which have well covered in other reviews:
What a fantastic series, I don't think I've ever "got into" any film or TV series in the way I got into The Sopranos, to the point where my wife said I was starting to sound like Tony! I was a bit sheepish about this but a married couple of friends told us over dinner that as a result of watching the series they had started swear profusely... Not so good when you call another driver a MF but shows only too well just how totally engrossing The Sopranos are. No doubt it's a series to buy and keep.
on 30 September 2014
Season one disc's menus are all jacked. They skip and the image and sound freak out..... But there have been no issues with the episodes, other than some really awful dark scenes that have been over processed and have white specs of light all over the image... But still, great product, and I can live with the minor annoyances.
on 5 March 2017
Excellent. I would imagine that many people would regard this as the best TV series ever made.
on 9 May 2016
Brilliant series - Highly recommended. It's as near as it gets to reality. Could watch this over and over again. Very violent and inclused sex, and profane language.