Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.99

VINE VOICEon 24 October 2007
Of the eighteen tracks on this greatest hits compilation, only six date from the band's first three classic albums - Santana, Abraxas and Santana III. So although aged nostalgists can groove to the fluid Latin-tinged workout Oye Como Va or think back to a time when the languorous Samba Pa Ti hadn't become stripper soundtrack, most of the album will appeal more strongly to those who only know Latino guitar god Carlos Santana through his latterday high-profile collaborations.

But what collaborations they were. Purists may call it selling out - but Santana's sweaty-but-elegant Latino-pop made the perfect turn-of-the-century summer soundtrack, with Smooth (featuring Matchbox Twenty's Rob Thomas) right at the top of the heap. Corazon Espinado (featuring Mexican band Maná) is a rootsier version of the same recipe and also features on 1999 comeback album Supernatural.

There are dodgier moments. Brand-new collaboration Into The Night which opens this album features the sub-grunge croaking of Nickelback's Chad Kroeger and neither version of The Game Of Love (featuring Michelle Branch and Tina Turner respectively) really gets onto the scoreboard. And that ancient clunker Black Magic Woman doesn't get any better with age.

The same can't be said of the sizzling new single This Boy's Fire, featuring J. Lo and Baby Bash - a delicious Arabic-tinged groove with some sexy, snappy vocals. Best of the lot, though, is Santana's 1977 cover of The Zombies' 60s hit She's Not There, which dumps the song's original British art-school hysteria and turns sweaty, fearsome and feral.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2009
Superb! Great collaborations which I think enhance the Santana sound more than him alone! ( Obviously I'm not a purist)

I originally bought the album for the first two hits. I'm not interested in the older songs as have them on other albums. The rest of the album was a very pleasant suprise. All songs of course having the strong Santana signature.
My taste is broad so I get to satisy more than one genre in one album hit.
I defy you not to move a bit to most of these tunes.
From the fab hit 'Smooth' to 'Into the Night' with Chad Kroeger from Nickelback - superb!
on 23 April 2010
This is a comprehensive album which includes all the old faves plus the hugely successful track, "Smooth". Santana fans will not be disappointed,nothing's missing!
on 12 July 2012
While on holiday in Tenerife recently my wife and I listened to a local singer/guitarist playing "Smooth", Santana's great Grammy winning track. This inspired us to buy this album - what a terrific decision!
on 28 May 2014
All the favourites together, wonderful collection, thoroughly recommended. Several duets including with Tina Turner that fully compliment the guitar skills of this performer.
on 20 May 2009
This is the only Santana album I have. Bought it because my Sister in Law said they he was good so I thought I would give it a go. Glad I did. Its a great album to put on when you are with friends and want some light music that all people will like.

I am not an avid fan of Santana, and wont buy another, but I really like this album and its on my favourite play list and has been since I bought it. Well recommended.
on 11 October 2011
Great collection of Santana's best and terrific price..it is impossible not to be pleased with with..a must have cd for the car!
on 9 July 2012
Takes me back to the 70s. Picture this, in bed, alseep when sudderly this album comes on to get us kids up for school....lol
on 27 January 2011
Whether driving or at home listening to your expensive Hi-Fi unit, you will not be reaching for the skip or off switch.
on 12 February 2011
I have a number of Santana CDs and was not dissapointed with this one either. If you like Santana you will love this.