on 28 July 2014
This is a great story, and I enjoyed it immensely. The author confesses to creative license with the character of Anne Stanhope, but it is well done. What infuriated me was the editor's lack of attention to detail. Idioms such as 'made my world go round' have no place in a Tudor novel- as far as I know they hadn't figured that out yet! 'Have I made you mad?' In Britain this is rarely used for 'angry even today, and certainly wouldn't have been back when madness was a curse nobody understood. The copy is sadly peppered with simple typos which can destroy the flow of reading.
Having said all this, the book is a good read which will keep fans of Tudor history hooked, despite a rather rushed and unpolished ending.
on 6 October 2014
What a disappointment. to read the authors notes at the back of the book to find out that basically everything was fiction, changing dates and events. To much heavy breathing and hot flushes. More like reading a Mills and Boon book. I enjoy historical novels and I know that conversations and such like are fictional, but to change history - no please don't call this an historical novel. This is the second book I have read by E Knight and it will be the last, certainly not in the same class as Philippa Gregory.
on 22 August 2014
Interesting read! I've always thought of Anne as a cold power hungry viper and even though the title seems to suggest that I was correct this book shows her as a 3 dimensional woman who loved as much as she hated.
As a huge fan of the Tudor dynasty I found this book totally believable and look forward to reading more from this author
on 15 September 2014
It is an interesting idea to view the Tudor court through the eyes of Anne, lady Hertford. Although the context is historically accurate, much speculation is employed of course , to pull together a story. It's a bit lurid here and there, but I suppose they were brutal times, the writing is a bit jerky, eg whole pages of heavy breathing and lustful longings and then major events lightly touched on . Sometimes the grammar is appalling and so is the spelling. What can I say? I think I nearly finished it.
on 25 April 2016
enjoyed...... the only thing against is the American spelling, didn't realise that the author was American but she has done her homework very well. I live in Warwickshire where a lot of the book is set and found it most interesting.
on 14 September 2014
My Lady Viper is an interesting read. During the time when Jane Seymour was Queen. The intrigue of court day to day life and the in fighting to gain power - life was a constant worry and looking over your shoulder to see who is waiting to stab you in the back. I found this book a bit lovey dovey in parts but a good read never the less.
on 7 June 2016
What a disappointing historical novel. What an unpleasant 'Heroine'! What a surfeit of unnecessary explicit sex! At one point I thought I could be reading 'Fifty Shades of Ann Seymour'! Usually good historical novels don't need to add this. To sell themselves. I had to finish it to find out whether she shared the fate of the poor souls, she and her husband Edward, helped up the steps to the 'Block'. It's redeeming feature - an excellent title!
on 26 August 2014
I love all things Tudor and thought to give this a go. I wasn't disappointed. A really good, interesting book which brings to life Henry V111 Court. The Author really made the characters come to life and I enjoyed it very much. I hope the Author writes more Tudor fiction.
on 9 September 2014
Have to say really good book some facts have been altered but it doesn't spoil the story. Life in a Tudor Court must have been like living on a knife edge everyday how some survived is nothing short of a miracle. 4 star rating.
on 28 June 2016
I found this book irritating. The language is a mixture of UK English and US English both historical and contemporary. Despite the author's reference to research I was left to conclude this book promotes a view of "Merrie England" a la Hollywood. There are a great number of glaring historical inaccuracies, too many to note. As a piece of fiction it is repetitive and whilst the author notes not much is known about the main protagonist, Anne Stanhope, this ought to have provided an opportunity for a more genuinely engaging central character.