Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 3 March 2014
If, like me, you've ever been stumped for what to cook your vegetarian friend, or just wanted to incorporate more veggies into your and your children's diet, this book is a godsend. It's full of simple, relatively quick, tasty dishes, all presented in Leon's standard stylised, accessible, home-cookbook manner.

The book's divided into two sections – one where the veggies are the stars and 'can stand on their own as a whole meal' and another where they're more the support act (i.e. side dishes). There seems to be a bit of crossover – particularly in the chapter dedicated to cooking for children – but by and large the first section is where you'll find mains and starters, the second sides (and a little chapter on fruity puddings).

The dishes are kept simple – 'Turnips, beetroot & orange', for example – but it's the combination of flavours, seasonings and dressings that give them the edge, and there are lots of combinations I wouldn't have thought of before. Plus (and probably most importantly) most of the ingredients are either the kind of thing you'd already have in your cupboards, or something that you could pick up easily. No more hunting around for obscure ingredients! I can see this becoming my go-to kitchen cookbook for many meals to come.
on 25 February 2017
I've been vegetarian for over 30 years and must have 50 or 60 veggie cook books of which I use maybe 4 or 5 regularly and another 10 occasionally. I have had this book for around 6 months and it's definitely moved into the category of 'use regularly'. I've made around a quarter of the recipes by now, most were very tasty and turned out well. Of course there were one or two that were not to my taste, but even the ones I wouldn't cook again were not a disaster, and there are some really outstanding recipes some of which are quite different from things I've cooked before. Favourites include Braised Celery & Swede, Tandoori Cauliflower, Green Bean and Cashew Curry, Pasta e Fagioli, Beetroot Rosti & Jackson Pollock Salad. I also like that most of the recipes have a text box with ideas for different additions/substitutions to change the recipe slightly. They are mostly all the kind of dishes you can serve up in a mezze-style, with several dishes on the table to choose from, though there are a few one pot stew-type dishes as well.

If you are looking for things to serve for the one veggie in the family to have instead of meat, then this probably isn't the book for you. And if you are not a fan of herby, spicy, sloppy foods (curries, stews, gratins, etc) then you may not like it. For everyone else I would recommend this book, even for non-vegetarians looking for a change occasionally. Quite a number of the recipes are vegan too. Some of the recipes are easy, some a little fiddly, but nothing too complicated or time-consuming and I've not had any difficulty getting ingredients - there might be a few unusual spices but you can always get those online wherever you live.

Highly recommended!
on 14 May 2014
Sick of vegetarian cook books which rely heavily on cheese, eggs or pasta? Then this is the one for you. I have shelves of cool books, but this is my absolute tasty favourite as of a few weeks ago when so took the plunge and treated myself. I love this book, the recipes are quick, really work, and are yum. So far everything I have cooked has been delicious. As a plus the photos are very well organised, and endearing.
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2017
A very attractive cookbook, packed with good ideas. I like a cookbook to read and this does. A journey of food and also of family (rather a personal journey)and jammed with lovely photography. The kindle version (I purchased)certainly does not disappoint, it's beautifully formatted for Kindle, giving the same experience as a hard copy.
on 24 May 2014
I enjoyed Jane Baxters recipes in the Riverford cookbooks and here she has teamed up with the Leon team for a fast vegetarian cookbook.I have tried several recipes the vegetable jambalaya was particularly good.
on 25 May 2014
This is a lovely recipe book. The vegetarian recipes are easy to make and are full of flavour! The family (including 4 year old twins) have loved everything that I have made so far. I highly recommend it. You don't have to be a vegetarianto love it!
on 19 July 2014
I have all the big Leon books and this one is a must for your collection. I have a lot of books and I am very picky these days about which new ones I add to my collection.
This is hearty home cooking, great for family meals and not boring.
on 20 March 2017
Absolutely fascinating book. I bought it to get through lent without meat but I think I will just stick with being vegetarian for awhile. Very tasty recepies easy to do and straightforward, simple ingredients. You must buy this book if you are only just making up your mind now go and order it already and start cooking lovely wholesome healthy yummy food.
on 20 March 2017
I agree with other reviewers that there are too many family photos in this recipe book, after a while they became intrusive in a book that should be focussed on food.

Moan over, the veggie recipes look delicious and a bit different from other vegetarian cookbooks I've read. Vegetables take centre-stage rather than pasta, cheese, pulses etc. They do call for a number of spices/flavourings, but most can be bought in your average large supermarket, or online. I like the fact that variations are given for most recipes.

I will be trying out some of these dishes very soon (though I will give sauerkraut a miss).
on 24 March 2014
this book is really readable in its format and also the recipes are all good. these are the sort of recipes that you will constantly refer to. Well done Jane!