Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£25.75+ £1.26 shipping

on 3 November 2009
Well,
My Braveheart blu-ray arrived yesterday morning,and I watched it last night,no review of the actual film,EVERYBODY has seen it,I,m reviewing the blu-ray quality.
I read that the first 15-20 minutes of this film is so-so quality,and gets much better afterwards,well,I didn,t see so-so quality,I think this is a really beautiful transfer,and the sound quality is tremendous,you think you,re actually at the Battle of Stirling!!!
Whoever was behind this glorious transfer deserves all the plaudits going,I haven,t checked the Special Features yet,I would highly recommend this blu-ray,if you have seen Braveheart,this is the only way to watch it,it knocks spots of the dvd,if you haven,t seen it,jeez are you in for a treat.
I,m not comparing it to any other blu-ray,Braveheart stands on it,s own blu-ray quality,a MUST buy.
Davy Cairns.
1111 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2015
Braveheart is one of my favourite films so it was a must-have when I saw it was on Bluray. For anyone who hasn't saw it and isn't sure... buy it! It's the story of William Wallace who led the Scottish rebels in the battle against the English who wanted Scotland under their rule. If you're Scottish, and haven't saw it, please watch it as you'll get goosebumps watching it, and if you're from anywhere else, watch it anyway as it truly is amazing... apart from Mel Gibsons dodgy accent (we don't talk like that lol).
This was delivered quickly after purchase and came in perfect condition.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2007
Those that have yet to watch this would do well to take advantage of such a bargain. Whilst it is not an accurate account of time gone by it is enjoyable to watch. Braveheart is a film that won't bore you and will keep you on your toes. I enjoy it every time I watch it and can't help but want the Scots to win (despite being English!) I've got one or two issues with Mel Gibsons 'scottish' accent but its not that bad. Despite a long running time of 171 minutes I find this flies by. Don't be put off by the not so accurate historical facts. This does not hurt what is in all fairness an excellent film.
on 7 April 2015
A great film to watch with a great cast of actors and actresses even though it is historically not correct in places. Mel Gibson is also great in the lead role as always never lets us down. As much as I enjoyed this film and would also recommend it to all to add to their collection I somtimes wonder what this already great film would of been like if the great Liam Neeson was in the lead role ?. To understand what I mean watch another great film called Rob Roy then all will become clear. Regardless of aa that this film is a must have in my opinion and hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
on 30 August 2015
As an action packed film, this is good, but cannot be taken seriously as an historical account of William Wallace's life. Why make a film about a real life character and then plug it full of inaccuracies? That said, there were some good performances and Mel Gibson's Scottish accent was surprisingly good for an Aussie.
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
So we have the 15th anniversary edition of Braveheart in 2009 which was made in 1995....hmmmm?

Anyway, despite the historical inaccuracies that many moan about, Braveheart is still a great watch and now that they've done a great job on the HD transfer, there's no better time to enjoy it for the first time or to revisit.

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the best transfer yet but it's huge leap over the DVD. Excellent audio through the DTS-HD Master too. I haven't seen the extra's yet but it does look like they are in HD too.

Audio: DTS HD MST Eng and French; DTS German
Subs: French, German, Danish; Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch
55 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2006
On a whole number of levels, this movie shouldn't have worked for me. It takes considerable license with historical facts, not only in order to supplement details that are not part of William Wallace's legend but actually, wherever convenient. ("We stuck to history where we could but hyped it up where the legend let us," actor-director Mel Gibson admits on the DVD's commentary track.) It is graphically and unabashedly violent: from throatcuttings to battle scenes that have film blood literally splashing onto the camera, beheadings, a traitor's head smashed with a wrecking ball, and fully 15 minutes of Wallace's "purification by pain," it shows some of the most brutal behavior conceivable. It also engages in some of the most blatant gay profiling in recent film history - not just in the drastic end administered on the lover of Longshanks's son, Edward II., but equally in the portrayal of both characters and their relationship as such. Last but not least, Mel Gibson plays a man at least 10 years younger than himself, a choice often enough bordering on the ridiculous.

And yet ...

From the first notes of James Horner's hauntingly beautiful soundtrack and the first sweeping camera shots over the Scottish highlands, blending seamlessly into the pictures of the Scottish riders on their way to the alleged truce talks initiated by Edward I. "Longshanks," and the narrator's, Robert the Bruce's (Angus MacFadyen's) introduction - "I shall tell you about William Wallace: Historians from England will call me a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes" - there is no mistaking that this is an epic story, taking up the tradition of the likes of "Spartacus" and "Ben Hur." Like those movies, "Braveheart" is a story of heroism and of having the courage of one's convictions; chronicling the life of its hero from first love to loss, betrayal, battles and final confrontation with his arch-enemy's powers. Like both movies, "Braveheart" won the Academy Award in more than one category, not least for John Toll's outstanding cinematography. Like "Ben Hur," it also won both the coveted awards for "Best Picture" and for "Best Director." And maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of epos ...

To my surprise, I found Mel Gibson to come across very believable as William Wallace; age difference, Scottish brogue and all. Both his acting and his direction are informed by a clear sense of vision for the movie and its title character. Moreover, although full screen writing credits went to would-be (?) Wallace descendant Randall W., many little details undeniably show Gibson's hand and mannerisms: to name just a few of the more obvious examples, Wallace's marriage proposal to Murron, his grinning greeting of a group of English soldiers trapped below a cliff, and his response to a doubting Scottish soldier's comment at Sterling that he can't really be Wallace because he's not tall enough.

In addition to John Toll's awardwinning cinematography, the movie benefits from first-rate production design (Tom Sanders), a score which perfectly captures the mood of every single scene, and a cast of outstanding actors; first and foremost Patrick McGoohan as Longshanks, who portrays the king's utter ruthlessness so convincingly as to make you completely forget his earlier incarnation as the 1960s' "Danger Man," and who delivers monologues worthy of a Shakespearean king. Soliloquies like his musing "but whom shall I send" when plotting to send a messenger to Wallace with another insincere offer of truce, and his chilling announcement to reinstitute the ius primae noctae because "the trouble with Scotland is that it is full of Scots ... If we can't get them out, we'll breed them out" are starkly reminiscent of both Ian McKellen's and Laurence Olivier's portrayals of Richard III.

Equally impressive is Ian Bannen in one of his last roles, starring as Robert the Bruce's leprosy-ridden father and evil spirit, whose first reaction to the tales about Wallace is to deride him ("He has courage; so does a dog"), and who expertly plays on his son's ambivalent feelings, until he finally drives Robert into hating his father for having coaxed him into his own game of scheming and betrayal - whereupon the elder Bruce remarks contemptuously: "At last you have learned what it means to hate. Now you are ready to be a king."

Then-newcomer Catherine McCormack stars as Wallace's childhood love Murron, whose scenes with Wallace provide for much-needed tenderness in the first hour of the movie - particularly touching is four year old Murron's gift of a thistle (Scotland's national flower) to orphaned William - and contrast sharply with the bloodshed that is to follow virtually incessantly from her death onwards. Sophie Marceau matures from teenage party queen ("La Boum") to French Princess Isabelle; Brendan Gleeson stars as Wallace's boyhood friend Hamish, David O'Hara as his heaven-conversing, self-appointed Irish guardian Stephen - one of the movie's most colorful characters - and Brian Cox brings all his extraordinary screen presence to his brief appearance as Wallace's uncle Argyle.

When I left the theater after having witnessed this movie's almost three hours of blood, gore and intense emotions for the first time, I felt as if somebody had given me a fist punch into my stomach. I was so struck that I was almost unable to speak, and dragged my moviegoing companion into the next bar, to revive my spirits with a glass of whiskey. (Scotch, of course). Having seen the film countless times since then, I no longer need that whiskey to overcome its drastic impact - but I still get gooseflesh during many of its key scenes and can't see it without feeling emotionally drained at the end.
99 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2014
Buy this film on Blu-Ray - a film of such epic acting and proportions deserves superior picture and sound, as good as ever - William Wallace is as watchable as ever - an amazing tale - have the hankies ready - recommend - 10/10
on 3 December 2015
Well now what can I say about this other than I'm Scottish! I bought this and gifted to a charitable organization. I'm sure all who watch it will love as much as I did/do. Fantastic film highly recommend! Thanks
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 November 2009
William Wallace leads a Scottish rebellion against the King of England, Edward I. A stirring nationalistic epic that takes more than a few liberties with historical accuracy in the interests of delivering cinematic entertainment, but it is acted and directed with great gusto, creating a sense of myth and legend with its sweep and passion. As for Mel Gibson in the leading role, it wasn't so much his faux Scottish accent that let him down, rather it was some of his cheeky facial expressions that I'm sure I have seen in one or other of his Lethal Weapon outings.

As a Blu-Ray film this is far better than the standard DVD, so in the faint possibility that you have yet to see Braveheart, and assuming you have the necessary HD hardware of course, then this is surely the best version to watch. It isn't quite as good as the very latest high-definition films but it's nevertheless a worthwhile choice. The audio options included English/French/German 5.1 dts, and another with a commentary by Mel Gibson. Subtitles are in English, French, German, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch. Spoken language options are English, French, and German. Special features include 'William Wallace's World', a re-run of the film with in-set maps and historical commentary about Wallace and the lives of the Scottish in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.