Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 August 2015
After briefly re-uniting with the Go-Go's, Belinda Carlisle returned to the recording studio, and resumed working. In 1996, she released her 6th solo album, "A woman and a man". Consisting of slick, finely-crafted, perfectly accessible songs, this is Belinda's most safe and balanced album. This was her gift to the faithful fans who stood by her through the years (thanks, our pleasure!). Showcasing an artist at her most confident and alluring state, on this album she shines vocally, exhibiting precision and emotion simultaneously. I fondly remember her tres-chic UK TV appearances for the promo of "Always breaking my heart", where she wore some lovely dresses with cherry prints on them, what a classy lady! The album included several hits, and revitalized her solo career in Europe. As a result of this success, it was released in the US, a year later, but with no much luck. Highlights are the exquisite title-track, the lush "Love in they of C", "I won't say I'm in love" from Disney's "Hercules", and the cover of Marianne Faithful's "The ballad of Lucy Jordan". Last 2 tracks were B-Sides, and are included on the album's re-issue, a brilliantly remastered, gorgeous 2CD+DVD combo, further including an array of remixes and singles versions, videos, plus an extensive booklet with sleeve notes and rare photos, all nicely and neatly packaged. A fan-favourite.

**** for the album
***** for this edition
review image
on 2 September 2014
It seems that, due to a production error at Edsel Records, the version of I Won't Say (I'm In Love) on disc 2 is the cast version from Disney's Hercules, and not Belinda's cover.

In addition, there are two single versions of other tracks missing from disc 1, when compared to Amazon's track listing.

I've tried to contact Edsel, but have yet to receive a reply. Let's hope they arrange for a disc replacement scheme in the near future.
3232 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2007
I've always liked Belinda Carlisle since being a kid back in 1980's. I loved Heaven is a place on earth and all the late 80's stuff. However despite Belinda still recording she disappeared from my radar for a while, and I'm so happy to rediscover her again. Now that I'm approaching the end of my twenties, this album has a mature sound, warm and soothing. The songs are all very relevant to life, and true Belinda fans will love it start to finish. There are NO throw away tracks on this album, which is rare for any artist. Well done Belinda!! oxoxo
on 25 May 2012
I found this album when searching for 'My Heart Goes Out To You' having listened to it on YouTube. I must tell you that I believe anyone whose heart is heavy with grief would benefit from listening to this beautiful empathetic rendition. I was only going to download the MP3 of that track to give me comfort at low times.

However, after listening to all the track samples I realized that this lady is special. I had to buy the whole album and what an album it is. From start to finish there isn't one song I can be impartial to. Belinda draws you into her emotional world of love, pain and heartache, but also hope. Whatever the tempo, her voice, rising and falling from the sweetest heights to throaty depths, is mesmerizing.

I find it impossible to choose favourites; I love the genuine vibrato and the delicate angelic touch she endows to each. But there will always be a special part of my soul where 'My Heart Goes Out To You' sits.
on 22 September 2014
Perhaps one of the weakest collection of songs of the Belinda Carlisle canon. Although strangely it has a couple of her strongest singles 'In Too Deep' & 'Always Breaking My Heart'...The rest of the collection sways wildly from interesting 'California', 'A Woman and a Man' to bland, 'Remember September' to simply awful 'Love Does'nt Live Here'. The re-package with the addittional covers makes it essential to fans - just.
on 9 June 2015
Belinda Carlisle's A Woman and a Man Deluxe is a great addition to her remaster collections. Firstly, this album saw Belinda return to the top reaches of the UK charts once again in late 1996/1997 with lead single In Too Deep hitting UK #6. The Per Gessle (of Roxette fame) penned Always Breaking My Heart hit #8 in the UK. Two more singles followed the UK #20 Love In The Key Of C with it's lush string arrangements and the brillant California a personal favourite of Belinda's.

The Deluxe Re-issue features acoustic versions of In Too Deep & Circle In The Sand to close out the full album on Disc 1. It's a nice listen. This album has always been a personal highlight of her career to me. Though a more lush album, less pop/rock it's a strong album with some great songs. Now onto Disc 2 where the magic for fans lies. It's full of bonus songs with 6 Rare Songs & 6 Live Songs to make for a great bonus disc, featuring the funky Whatcha Doin' To Me, Don't Cry and The Ballad of Lucy Jordon with an incredible vocal. She even covers Jealous Guy here. As a great feature I Won't Say I'm In Love from Hercules is included which is fantastic. The live songs are great and Big Scary Animal seems to steal the spotlight something about that song live that jumps out of the speakers. Disc 3 is a DVD with all 4 Promo Videos, unfortunately no interview on this release.

The Liner notes are a brillant read also and I don't wanna give all the insight away but Belinda certainly shares her feelings about the album in hindsight. Why decisions were made, what songs she likes and is proud of the most. This always interests me as a fan.

All in all another excellent package, as far a bonus material with rare songs it has the most. My fav songs are: A Woman & Man, California, Whatcha Doin' To Me, My Heart Goes Out To You & Remember September.
on 21 November 2009
This album I bought after "Real" and it was mainly because I was so impressed with "Real" and the style she developed later in her career. Its ironic her best work is not known as well as the the albums in her early days in the eighties. This album "A woman & a man" is fom the nineties just like "Real" and I really love it. The first two tracks "In too deep" and "California" set the tone for what is ahead in the album, really great quality music and her voice is truly amazing the different tones and variation she achieves, her band and backing singers are superb also. If you liked "Real" you will more than likely like this album even more so. I can't believe it has taken me this long to discover the truly great talent of Belinda Carlisle, this is what I was missing but thankfully late is better than never. This album is so good you'll probably have to lock it up after the first coulple of listens to stop you playing it too often, this surely has to be the highest compliment I can give it. If you liked her music from the eighties that were big hits and were more of a pop sound, you will like this too but it is a little different, probably the best way I know to describe it, is it has a blend of rock and pop combined together and the lyrics are probably a little deeper in meaning too, I loved it anyway, go on give it a try, I doubt very much you will be disappointed.
on 3 September 2014
Great album, but the track listing is wrong on cd1. It does not include single edits. It's only a 13 track cd not 15 as listed. Also it's not Belinda's version of the Disney track??????? It's the actual film version. Someone's made a big error. Shame really as it spoils the set. I've collected all the Belinda re-issues, just feel a little let down, especially as A Woman And A Man is my favourite Belinda album. Hope they sort it out!!!!!
on 31 March 2012
This is a superb, perfect and well-balanced adult pop album! My first Belinda Carlisle album. And my favourite so far. This CD is mature, probably more convincing than Real (which anyway is a very good album), and delicious. None of the tracks disappoints. A mixture of heartfelt ballads (Remember September, A Woman and a Man), uptempo tracks in the likes of her 80's stuff (Always Breaking My Heart), sexy, breathy pieces (Love in the Key of C) and joyfull potential hits (California, In Too Deep)...

My favourtie tracks include California, where darker lyrics are wonderfully conveyed by Belinda's mature rendition. The title track might be the most exciting song here. It is powerful and sad. It is very convincing as Belinda's wonderful passionate voice perfectly conveys the meaning of the lyrics. Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore is a sweet pop anthem with a melody that worms its way into your brain and does not let go. The sorrowfull Remember September is the darkest, most emotional piece here. More optimistic tracks are In Too Deep and Listen to Love - typical stuff for gentle pop lovers. He Goes On is very melodic, rocking, but also a bit in a country style. Love in the Key of C, as I mentioned, has sexy breathy vocals, and a powerful driving melody. You just can't love this song. The album ends with a delicate, almost Enya-like ballad for a deceased friend (?), My Heart Goes out to You. It's just as beautiful as it is simple and meaningful.

Ms Carlisle's vocal mastery shines out particularly fine here. All the songs are laden with her sweet, strong, powerful voice. So she is not just a beautiful blue-eyed woman (see the inlay photos), but also an accomplished and mature singer. She knows what she's singing about and she is not faking it. Bravo!!!
on 29 November 1999
This album shows a sign of maturity for Belinda. With this album she seems to depart from her classic rock athems and moves into singing about painstaking events for all to here and relate to.
My favourite songs are 'In too deep' which reached no.6 in the UK charts, the catchy 'Listen to Love', the heartbreaking 'Love Doesn't Live Here' and the gorgeous 'Kneel At Your Feet'.
I would love to know who chooses the songs for release because they must have it in for her! The last few singles she has released on her last few albums (including the Real album) have shown a poor representation of Belinda's best. It is as if the worst songs were chosen to add to her unfortunate slow decline.
A brilliant album from an outstanding artist.
A vivid imagination, and a emotional heart will transorm you through a wirl wind of emotions.