on 28 April 2014
This would have got 4 stars if I didn't already own most of the tracks on here courtesy of the previously released EPs. That's not to say what there is isn't good. It is, but it's not as good as their classic years, lets face it who is? So you've got the angst driven lyrics and vocals, the churning guitars and rhythms and a decent level of discordant excitement but is it essential? Sadly no. Close but no cigar.
55 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 April 2014
It's only 23 years late. But would you know? Aside from a handful of production tricks (a distinctly loud, compressed sound, a certain guitar tone), Pixies - without Kim Deal (mostly) - follow up 1991's "Trompe Le Monde" with the long overdue "Indie Cindy". Having not listened to it in EP form - all the material is new to me, and none of it blunted by familiarity. As an album, "Indie Cindy" is a short experience (45 minutes on CD, with an extra song only on the Record Store Day vinyl release). ; the live CD that comes with the mailorder deluxe edition is only 35 minutes long.

But how does it sound? It sounds like Pixies recorded cover versions of 70 Frank Black solo songs, added their own spin to them, and honed it down to the most Pixie-ish dozen. Some of the songs deserve to stand up as classic Pixies ("Bagboy", "Snakes", "Blue Eyed Hexe" could have all sat happily on any of their albums), The sunniest element of the band - the perverted surf riffs, the atonal whimsy, the random Spanish interlude and the breezy sense of wind in the hair and open top sports car are plastered all over the record. Certainly, had this ever been a Frank Black solo record, no one would ever know the difference and decry him for copying himself. Certainly, departed bassist Kim Deal is audibly present on backing vocals (though actually uncannily impersonated), but on other tracks, also certainly absent and replaced by layers of Frank Black falsetto elsewhere. But is it a bad album? Not at all. You cannot bottle lightning, and it is not, and can never be Pixies as was, but here and there, flashes of Pixiedom escape, the essence of Pixies is there in spades, it's a new vision of the old ideals, and "Indie Cindy" is - well, certainly one of the best and most vibrant reunion records - you could listen to it and be forgiven for thinking that only a couple of years, and not 23, have passed since the last time an album of new Pixies songs was recorded. What goes Boom? Everything.
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 June 2015
When I purchased this I wrongly assumed that it was a 12inch album that played at 33rpm. There was nothing to say otherwise. When it arrived and I played the album it was clear that was not the case. The speed it needed to be played at to hear it properly was 45 rpm. Not what I wanted. Disappointed to say the least
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 April 2014
I've heard all these songs before (which is why it gets 4 stars rather than 5), on the three recent EPs, and that does detract somewhat from the experience of hearing a first new Pixies album in 23 years. Is it still fun though? Sure, but don't expect the Pixies of Surfer Rosa, Doolittle and Bossanova. There's glimpses of what they did on those three records, but Indie Cindy is much more in the style of Frank Black's solo work or Trompe Le Monde; a Pixies album that was probably more Frank Black than it was the band. The whole album does remind me very much of Frank's eponymous album or Teenager of the Year.

Kim Deal is gone, and you'll know it in your mind, but you might not notice it had you not known she'd left (sorry Kim). The stand ins do a decent job on the bass. The guitars of Joey are still there; swirling and mind-blowing. It's definitely the Pixies, they've just got older; like all bands do.

The stand out songs are What Goes Boom, Indie Cindy and Magdalena 318; the last one a track that bears a bit of a similarity to Ana and is possibly the most early sounding Pixies song on the album. The video is definitely reminicsent of songs on the earlier albums, and certainly from the mind of Frank Black.

You'll want this if you're a Pixies completionist, but if you're not that and money is a bit tight then remember that these are the same songs as on the EPs. If you have them then you've got everything on this album. There's also the Limited Edition double album for those that want the extras. It's got a great collection of songs on it from a recent concert. The price is a bit steep but is probably worth it for the 40 page book. That, again, would depend on your fiscal state.

It's definitely the Pixies, and you'll love it if you've ever been a fan. You just might be a bit disappointed that it's only the EPs compiled. As for the style, well we've all aged with the band, so perhaps it's just what we all need nowadays. Something unmistakeably Pixies, but a little less raucous for our ageing ears.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 April 2014
I first listened to the songs on this album as they were released on the various EPs 1 through 3. I was very happy to hear that (the) Pixies were going to collect them all and release on CD, and the album does not disappoint. I especially love Bagboy, Greens and Blues, What Goes Boom, and Indie Cindy. This is the Pixies' first full-length release since 1991's "Trompe Le Monde and to my ears it sounds just as good. Some reviewers didn't like Bagboy when it first came out. They are probably the same people who think 'here comes your man' is the best Pixies song ever. I like most of the new songs and find them edgy and not giving in to the idea of what a casual fan things Pixies should sound like.
I also like the ordering of the songs on 'Indie Cindy' and am looking forward to seeing Pixies live in Cork at the end of June.
The one slightly off-putting thing is the Pixies got some guy (Jeremy) to do some backing vocals that sound uncannily like Kim Deal, who walked out of the band during an earlier recording session in summer 2013 in Wales. I don't believe the Pixies need anyone to ape Kim. From the proof of this album they don't need Kim. I'd be thrilled if she comes back but I'd prefer a happy band releasing albums like this more frequently in future instead of a record every 20 years from a discordant band.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 May 2014
Since they started releasing new music last year Pixies have taken a bit of a hammering from critics and fans alike. How dare they not sound exactly as they did in 1988! No Kim no deal! etc etc True, the three ep's were oddly underwhelming in isolation, but collected here as an album these songs suddenly sound much, much better. Indie Cindy (awful title, I wish they hadn't called it that) is not the best Pixies album, but neither is it the worst - I already think it's better than Bossanova.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 June 2014
I’m in the camp of most people who were initially disappointed and let down on first listen of EP-1-3. I almost didn't buy this album, but did so in the end out of loyalty to one of the greatest bands of all time. I felt the songs on the EP relied too heavily on Weezer style “chuga chuga” rhythm guitar and were sorely missing Joey’s creative and inventive leads, and the songs were inferior pastiches of past glories and too conventional by half for a band whose individuality and creativity left behind a sea of dross in their wake all those years ago.

How wrong was I. The negative reviews and disappointment for me hinge on the fact that the big singles we were expecting to rival “Velouria” or “Monkey Gone To Heaven” are not here, but in the context of the album over repeated listens I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself warming to it, and after the fifth listen I’m finding it very hard to listen to anything else. For me it’s in the more subtle and beautiful moments such as “Greens and Blues”, “Magdalena” and “Andro Queen” where this album is a success, where they are not trying so hard to match the youthful ferocity of their earlier albums, and it’s in these quieter moments that I believe they have evolved from and even surpassed the more laid back tracks from “Bossanova” and “Trompe Le Monde”.

“Another Toe in the Ocean” is a very Frank Black sounding song reminiscent of but much better than “Men in Black” from “Cult of Ray”, and as I initially wanted the pure Pixies back in all their former glory, after letting it grow the whole album sounds to me like a warm and welcome cousin of the first two Frank Black albums and “Trompe Le Monde”, and while it initially deflated my expectations, the charm and charisma of this album has slowly inflated them back.

My only criticisms would be the chorus to “Blue Eyed Hex” which comes off as the conventional “Kiss” style cock-rock posturing which they were always an antithesis to, and the lazy chorus to “Bag Boy”, which consists of Charles and a Kim Deal impersonator repeatedly shouting “bag boy” non-convincingly and is a let down from the very promising intro.

Small criticisms aside I find it hard to believe that Charles still has it in him to write songs and lyrics of this caliber, after so many decades and hundreds upon hundreds of melodies and lyrical source materials you would have thought the tunes would have all dried up.

It’s only after repeated listens that this album really reveals itself, I would highly recommend that any Pixies or Frank fan who was disappointed with the EP’s give this a chance to grow and get its hooks into you – in no time you’ll be singing “Magdalena, you’re the meanest” in the car and getting funny looks on the way to work.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2014
Couldn't resist going for the deluxe edition. Do I regret it? A little. The book is an inch or so taller than a DVD case and the contents of the pages are nothing I couldn't live without. What I desired most was the live CD featuring current bassist Paz Lenchantin (the most natural fit for Kim Deal they've found yet). That doesn't disappoint. It hasn't got the venom of vintage Pixies but the sound quality is spot on and the choice of songs ignores the usual suspects (no Debaser or Monkey Gone To Heaven here, folks). On the other hand, it's only 13 songs and 35 minutes long and leaves me wanting more.

Looking back, for the price it cost, I might have preferred to be placing the regular sized CD packaging on my shelf and downloading the MP3 of the deluxe edition, but I'm not gonna grumble. Aside from space issues, it's nicely made for diehard fans, if a little on the expensive side at the time of writing.

As for the album itself, this might put me in a minority on the internet, but I love it from start to finish. They're older, so am I, and this is a great bunch of mature Pixies songs and a fairly natural evolution from Trompe Le Monde. The mix of Bagboy is different from the previous EP release, with the backing vocals coming in later than before. Haven't picked up on any changes to the other tracks yet, but they sound better on CD after all those listens on MP3.
on 30 April 2014
This is not good. No matter what the quality of the music may be, it has been destroyed by the "brick wall" approach to mastering. It is so loud, so compressed, and distorts all over the place. Absolutely no dynamic range, and no space at all between the instruments. The snare is just a thud and the guitars sound like crap. It reminds me of Metallica's "Death Magnetic" in that sense.

I can't even appraise the music as the sound of it is an affront to my ears.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 April 2014
I don't often write reviews, but given that I've been a fan of Pixies since their heyday and my mixed feelings about this album I thought, why not? In a nutshell, Indie Cindy is pretty much what I'd expected and, I suppose, feared.

The first 4 tracks are magic and would happily slot into any of their live sets and almost into their back catalog. It's such a huge delight to hear these tracks, it sounds and feels like them and serves as a reminder why they're so loved.
Things seem hit and miss from there. I feel 'Ring the Bell' and 'Andro Queen' both fall flat and are the weakest points on the album. 'Blue Eyed Hexe' begins as if it were related to 'U-Mass' from Trompe le Monde, but doesn't really go anywhere and remains one dimensional except for Black Francis' screaming which sounds slightly out of place and more contrived than it once did.
Given that Pixies albums usually clock in at under 40 minutes, maybe I would have found the album more satisfactory if they'd ditched a couple of the below-par tracks.
Another Toe In The Ocean is a favorite of mine, however, there's no denying because of it's polished, conventional structure it's as if it belongs to Frank Black's Teenager of the Year rather than anything by Pixies. Things end on a high note with 'Snakes' and 'Jamie Bravo' which, convinces me, overall, it's very good to have a new Pixies album.

Indie Cindy hasn't disappointed me, I wasn't expecting them at their best. 23 years have passed, they're different people and it's irrational to expect them to write the same songs they once did, some reviews in the press have been unnecessarily scathing.
I think most fans will be thrilled with about half of it and moderately pleased with the other.