A Letter Home
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 May 2016
Possibly the worst internal packaging ever, the discs inside were all over the place. Moreover, both LPs - which didn't shift during shipping like the mini-singles or CDs - had bad ticks and pops. So much for one being an audiophile pressing.

One might argue, however, that the music is so poor that packaging and sound quality are secondary. This really is sub-bootleg nonsense.

A Letter Home is sheer self-indulgence on Young's part, and a costly mistake for his fans, and is of interest only to those with a passion for the history of recording technology, who want to hear how bad a Voice-O-Graph recording can sound. If, however, you feel that you simply must own these unplugged versions of Young strumming his way through songs like 'Crazy' and 'Early Morning Rain', just buy the individual CD version for around a tenner. Even the most committed vinyl junkie cannot justify this package.
on 7 February 2018
Perfect
on 28 September 2017
If you miss scratchy old recordings and like NY you're gonna like this. I do, it's a one-off and it makes me feel warm in all the right places.
on 8 July 2014
Not one of his best, but Neil does not always please even his longterm fans. I did like the Bruce Springsteen track though. I always buy Neil's music anyway.
on 20 June 2014
I'm a big fan of Neil Young and I know that he quite often puts records out that are a little different but this is a lot different! Firstly, and I don't know if this is intentional, the sound quality is poor. Also I wasn't actually able to play the disc on my CD player as it didn't seem to work so I can only listen to it through on my itunes. Not good enough Neil!
on 31 December 2015
I love the communication with his mother! Songs are strong but one and another is heavy nostalgish s***!
on 17 July 2014
Fairly bonkers on the whole especially message to his late mother I do like the ancient sound though worth a listen .
on 31 August 2014
Strange album, but its growing on me!
on 8 August 2014
Superb recreation of imperfect sounds with interesting variety of material. Sleeve information sorely lacking, or obvious. Not even sure when these tracks were recorde
on 19 July 2014
it was good to hear the songs stripped down and reinvented as neil young but could have done without radio luxembourg crackle