Customer reviews

War Eternal
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 6 September 2016
Haven't been into this band long but glad I am now they are very good what a talent Michael Ammot is as well as a really good guitarist , how does he keep 2 very good bands going the other being spiritual beggers, the album is good as you would expect the DVD is good but disapointed that the concert is only half an hour long shoul have been at least an hour
on 24 September 2017
Must have album!
on 10 June 2014
I stupidly kind of agreed a while back that the prices for this new CD seemed a little high, then I remembered that I am a fan of Arch Enemy and have been for a long time, since my initial purchase of the two disc version of W.O.S, then going backwards.
Proud to say that I now own number 681 out of 2500.
Having listened to the 3 tracks released, I though that this was going to be a good release and now having the album, I am right.
It flies along, like an ICBM carrying multiple warheads, each one with a different purpose. The sound is stripped down, no self indulgence or what seemed to have been on D.M. and R.O.T.T, decent tracks on those albums but too 'fat' as a whole, so it plays out in a more intense way.
There are twists and turns a plenty and every track is different, solos where there shouldn't be but still work.
The new members bring a welcome lively appeal.
To me this album is the true successor to the first 3 but with the current, higher tempo sound.
Not the hardest hitting track but 'You will know my name' really stands out when you actually put the CD into a player and listen to the pounding back line, Sharlee's bass is demonic.
Avalanche, again probably won't be everyone's 'favourite' but is has touches of Ravenous, The Immortal, Nemesis.
This album to me proves that AE, do not have to try to be too extreme to be extreme, they are a melodic death metal band and probably one of the most polished or their kind and why not I say, bring it on and more.
It's complex like Stigmata, fresh like W.O.S and tuneful like Burning Bridges(a personal favourite).
There are crushing riffs, mid to fast tempo mosh worthy-ness, clever melodies, stunning solo play and the vocals cut through strongly.
Like Priest and Megadeth, Arch Enemy are masters of the thing that is more metal than twiddlies alone, the time change and there are plenty.
It's a complex mix of music and I can't wait to see then live in Bristol, later on this year.
The only thing(s) that may not have been really needed of the mix of tracks, are the instrumentals(too many) even at 3, the opener would have been sufficient, we know they can play, even a few extra cover tracks would have made this even better than it is.
The Deluxe Edition is a nice product, costs a bit but so did Nostradamus.
on 14 July 2014
I've been a fan of AE for the past decade, although its fair to say I sometimes think they lose focus particularly the last couple of albums. This is a strong return to form, it may not be groundbreaking but has a lot of power and energy. Alissa takes up the vocalist mantle very well. The sound has been termed 'melodic death metal' which I guess is about right, it has a very bright and energetic sound with some great riffs.

funnily enough the Mike Oldfield cover at the end of possibly my favourite on the album.
on 9 August 2017
Seems funny but since Angela left, they sound more like they used to in her early days which is when I loved them more. Definitely a much better album than Khaos Legions and has made me very excited for the new album coming this year.
on 21 June 2017
love the group look forward to new stuff
on 16 January 2016
The replacement of the singer in a band sometimes doesn't work out(Iron Maiden/Blaze Bayley).Other times(if a frequent occurrence - Nightwish!)it doesn't matter,but either way it leaves the fans in anxious expectation.The fact that previous front woman Angela was a rare thing in that she could growl with the best of 'em in a very male dominated genre, made the boots her replacement,Alissa had to fill even bigger.Which she has completely(phew!),her vocals are her own(not just a copy of Angela's),slightly less gravelly but with more emotional angst,and they completely fit with the band.Ahh...the band,I'm also happy to report that they have outdone themselves this time round.Every track is epic and unique(no fillers here),the soaring guitar work,still powerful and uplifting,has been taken to another level.Normally one listen at a time is adequate for me with an Arch Enemy album but I can't stop playing it.Definitely their best to date.Fans will not be disappointed.
on 16 July 2014
This album starts in obvious classical music/ opera style that has become so entrenched in albums of this sort that it would be weird not to hear an intro like this. Still first song proper ‘Never Forgive, Never Forget’ finds Arch Enemy on top form once again, with an incredible amount of energy. Soaring guitar parts overlaying frantic chugs are a good indication of what the album is like, i.e. full of musical nuggets.

If you’re not sure if you will like the album then there is a simple way to make your decision; if you like the first song then you will love the rest of the album, if not then you won’t, it really is as simple as that.
The vocals despite all the fuss aren’t really a million miles from what they were before, lets hope that perhaps with the next album

Alissa’s own personality will come out a bit more in the vocals. Arch Enemy have always been good at creating happy metal and this album is no different, if you want bile and hate look elsewhere, for an injection of positivity and music to strut to insert this cd into your cd player and prepare to pump fists.

It might be odd to say but fans of power metal would love this.
on 11 June 2014
First let me say I'm not really a death metal (?) fan. In fact i kind of hate that 'screaming' :) So I won't even try to do some deep review or compare with anyone or anything.

Simply i can just say, this album is great, I Love it! :)

If you did like any of the 3 released singles (war eternal, as the pages burn, you wll know my name) Then I think you will like rest of the album too.

(I usually don't bother with reviews, but seeing someone gave this album very unfair 1 star because it's too 'expensive' (?? Looks quite standart price to me) a just had to..)
on 9 August 2017
Arrived on time and s expected